Four sale. Four Bedroom house with pool. Wife included.

28 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

How can I help with the pool issues? I’ve been in the swimming pool business for nearly 50 years.

Keep ‘ swimming

Peter

Thanks for the offer, Peter.  Is mainly just age related stuff.  I have an in-ground saltwater pool...  kidney shaped.  It wasn't new when we got it.  And we've been here for 13 years or better.  Anyway...  two months ago it was the sand filter.  Couldn't get cost-effective parts for the old one, so $1,300 down the tubes.  A year or so ago, I replaced the old the salt converter.  Can't remember what I paid...  but anyway, night before last it started causing our circuit breaker to pop...  I reckon some critter got zapped whilst wriggling around in there and caused a short.  It's no longer under warranty, so now it has to be replaced.  Wife says she'll buy the new one.... but I know how it works, so I went out for chlorine today.  I went to the nearest pool place with my bottle, only to be told that it was too old to refill, so I'd have to buy a new one.  So...  double what I was expecting to pay for chlorine...  but I didn't feel like driving to the other pool place on the other side of town.  There have been leaks in the line caused by a neighbors tree's roots.  A Leak I caused (my fault) whilst digging to find an installation error that occurred when they put the pool in and it was causing my toilets start to back up.  Every year, once or twice I have to rebuild the Zodiac MX8 Pool sucker as one of the gear boxes fails eventually.

The biggest user of the pool is my granddaughter which is justification enough to my wife to keep it.  I'm not a water person...  but I get enough of the pool because of maintenance...  daily filter checking/screening, fishing out the occasional dead or still-alive critter...  and mourning over drowned bees.  Then there's my old friend "Black spot".

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I feel your pain Gaz, that's exactly, why we decided, that we won't build a pool. The fun/effort -ratio is definitely not balanced. So maybe a Jacuzzi on the to build sea view terrace, but no pool. We have some beautiful, public sea water pools built into the cliffs around the island, which are free to use and except for the summer holidays, you are often alone in there. I prefer the sea anyhow and today there seem to be big waves, so off I go with my board...

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

One of the worst things that we ever did was to rent a house in Sydney with a pool, sounded like a good idea at the time, but I seemed to spend half my life cleaning and fettling the thing as it was surrounded by shrubs and trees.

It was only used when family came over to stay which was once or twice a year, we hardly used it as I'm a none swimmer and the wife is not keen, so a silly mistake.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Spitfire
detail added
  • Like 6

Gaz

Stories like this are way too common and the biggest issues is a pools' actual age, who does the repairs and weekly maintenance.  Swimming pools, like a car or a house need care and upkeep on a routine basis and for the most part, the equipment and the pool is only professionally looked at when it breaks. The older a pool gets, equipment need to be replaced, as everything has a life span. Worse yet, it's outside, takes a beating from the weather, especially  in the off season. 

Just curious, how old was the sand filter? Same with the salt system.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Sorry to hear about the pool.  Couldn't tell from your post whether the wife was like the pool or is an incentive bonus thrown in to help make a sale?  :huh:

You mean ... selling the pool with the wife as a bonus (is it really ? Scammers are everywhere nowadays :ph34r: ) or the reverse ?

One of the bonuses of living in Portugal is that I can afford to have a professional to take care of the pool, twice a month in winter, and weekly in summer. Plus I have tried to automatise all I could... No more need to play « Junior Chemist ».

Rob, a jacuzzi is nice, but the electricity bills to keep it warm all year long are less relaxing :( ... Ask me how I know. Ok in France where nuclear power plants make electricity cheap, not so much down south. This said, the magic of a jacuzzi at night, under the stars, when it’s -5 degrees Celsius outside, is second to none :wub: .

Still, following this thread with interest, for when the pool (and wife) get old in 12/15 years’ time :lol: !

Hubert 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HubertB said:

Rob, a jacuzzi is nice, but the electricity bills to keep it warm all year long are less relaxing :( ... Ask me how I know. Ok in France where nuclear power plants make electricity cheap, not so much down south. This said, the magic of a jacuzzi at night, under the stars, when it’s -5 degrees Celsius outside, is second to none :wub: .

Thanks for the warning Hubert, I know about the consumption of electricity to keep the water in the jacuzzi warm. At least, electricity is relatively cheap on my island and for the conscience, it is produced up to 100% from wind and water, at least at the better days. My island is the only island in the world, which has this kind of power production due to a combination of hydro and wind powerplant and of course, it's a small island with only a few inhabitants.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Stories like this are way too common and the biggest issues is a pools' actual age, who does the repairs and weekly maintenance.  Swimming pools, like a car or a house need care and upkeep on a routine basis and for the most part, the equipment and the pool is only professionally looked at when it breaks. The older a pool gets, equipment need to be replaced, as everything has a life span. Worse yet, it's outside, takes a beating from the weather, especially  in the off season. 

Just curious, how old was the sand filter? Same with the salt system.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks for your insights, Peter.  I really don't know how old anything was.  We've been in this house for 15 or so years...  heck...I'm not even sure any more.  I know things age.  But the recent chlorinator was only just over a year.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Sorry to hear about the pool.  Couldn't tell from your post whether the wife was like the pool or is an incentive bonus thrown in to help make a sale?  :huh:

hahaha....  I was joking that the house came with the wife...  a package deal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HubertB said:

You mean ... selling the pool with the wife as a bonus (is it really ? Scammers are everywhere nowadays :ph34r: ) or the reverse ?

One of the bonuses of living in Portugal is that I can afford to have a professional to take care of the pool, twice a month in winter, and weekly in summer. Plus I have tried to automatise all I could... No more need to play « Junior Chemist ».

Still, following this thread with interest, for when the pool (and wife) get old in 12/15 years’ time :lol: !

Hubert 

My wife will be retirement age in 15 years...  so, maybe you should commit sooner... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, HubertB said:

One of the bonuses of living in Portugal is that I can afford to have a professional to take care of the pool, twice a month in winter, and weekly in summer.

download.jpeg.99323ac620858ad554ce6061430a700d.jpeg

"We have a Guy come 'round twice a month and scrape the gunk off the walls... You know, give her a good clean-out."

S

• Haha 6

On 5/13/2021 at 9:05 AM, smitty44 said:

Your not a water person, Marine? I read earlier today that there is going to be a chlorine shortage this summer here. I use a lake. Much cheaper.

Missed this one yesterday.  Yes...  not much into soaking.  Give me a forest and an m16...  then I'll be at home.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Missed this one yesterday.  Yes...  not much into soaking.  Give me a forest and an m16...  then I'll be at home.

If the forest is in the right place, you'll be soaking anyway, rifle and all!!

• Haha 6

Wife wanted a pool when we bought our last home 25 years ago.  I told her there a country club a block up the street.  Let’s pay them the $100 a month to use it.   We just moved from that house 2 weeks ago.  It was nice knowing I didn’t have to deal with all the repairs/maintenance and inspection to sell it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Wife wanted a pool when we bought our last home 25 years ago.  I told her there a country club a block up the street.  Let’s pay them the $100 a month to use it.   We just moved from that house 2 weeks ago.  It was nice knowing I didn’t have to deal with all the repairs/maintenance and inspection to sell it. 

In Australia, a pool verges on mandatory.  When we bought the house, there was no air conditioning.  When summer can be 6-months of 90+ degree days (and nights!!!) you need something.  Over time, we've added air conditioning to several rooms, starting with bedrooms, so pool use has lessened.

• Like 3

• Administrators

My wife wants a pool.  I politely but firmly say nyet.  We have a dozen kids coming and going every single day, and in today’s litigious society and the lack of parental responsibility, I would need complete and total physical barriers to prevent kids from sneaking in at night.  
So there’s absolutely no way on earth that I’m going to accept the very real possibility of someone’s kid dying in my pool at zero dark thirty after they successfully avoid 200 meters of minefield, claymores, drop pits, snares, crossfire zones, searchlights, and roving foot patrols with weapons free ROI and free roaming guard dogs.

I am however, quite open to a large hot tub with a lockable cover. As long as the cup holders fit red Solo cups and Mason fruit jars. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

My wife wants a pool.  I politely but firmly say nyet.  We have a dozen kids coming and going every single day, and in today’s litigious society and the lack of parental responsibility, I would need complete and total physical barriers to prevent kids from sneaking in at night.  
So there’s absolutely no way on earth that I’m going to accept the very real possibility of someone’s kid dying in my pool at zero dark thirty after they successfully avoid 200 meters of minefield, claymores, drop pits, snares, crossfire zones, searchlights, and roving foot patrols with weapons free ROI and free roaming guard dogs.

I am however, quite open to a large hot tub with a lockable cover. As long as the cup holders fit red Solo cups and Mason fruit jars. 

Every pool in Australia must be fenced in by law.  There are special rules about the fence.  It must have an automatic locking system too high for little kids to reach.  It must be automatically closing.  There must be no lateral structure that can be used as a toe hold...  Pretty simple really.  Can't remember any news stories here about any kids drowning in pools.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GazzaS said:

Every pool in Australia must be fenced in by law.  There are special rules about the fence.  It must have an automatic locking system too high for little kids to reach.  It must be automatically closing.  There must be no lateral structure that can be used as a toe hold...  Pretty simple really.  Can't remember any news stories here about any kids drowning in pools.

Sadly, it happens often enough here in Canada. Sometimes it's not the kids but adults who can't swim and jump in to save their kid. 

It's one reason Sue and I have insisted that our boys know how to swim. 

• Like 3