Jump to content

Gottfreid Weiroster Bf 109G6 R6 Revell 1/32


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

I was lurking in the background, absorbing the essence of awesomeness . Great show Gary. 

Cheers

M.

Martin

"The essence of awesomeness" Simply brilliant and I'm awarding your a PhD for English 🥇

Keep 'em comin

Peter

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, DocRob said:

You could also use copper tube, which is available here in Europe with a diameter of 8mm. You can solder brass and copper, but Aluminum is a different breed.

Cheers Rob

Yes...   soldering would be better.  But you would want a jig made of non-melting material to hold the parts.  I'd hate to see a wing that became a huge heat sink.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Yes...   soldering would be better.  But you would want a jig made of non-melting material to hold the parts.  I'd hate to see a wing that became a huge heat sink.

A jig is a big word for drilling four tiny holes in a piece of wood :D, but with a jig, you could also provide a stop for the barrel, to get both assemblies congruent.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, DocRob said:

A jig is a big word for drilling four tiny holes in a piece of wood :D, but with a jig, you could also provide a stop for the barrel, to get both assemblies congruent.

Cheers Rob

 But your jig needs to be more than 4 holes in a piece of wood.  It needs to replicate enough of the wing to enable you to get all of the alignments right.   

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 6:34 AM, Martinnfb said:

I was lurking in the background, absorbing the essence of awesomeness . Great show Gary. 

Cheers

M.

Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well...   Macro photos don't lie.  But they might say too much.   The following set of pictures depicts my WfGr. 21 in their current state.  Complete.  They will need some tweaking, and I might go so far as to drill into the missiles themselves and create new legs which fit deeper into the tubes/missiles.

P1014035.thumb.JPG.a4c87c81d37ee349118f7a6c42b56b6c.JPG

P1014037.thumb.JPG.48519528a7afb94a2ef7953f74ed33c5.JPG

P1014042.JPG.769f1cca3328b73d1dc646e39d508f78.JPG

P1014043.thumb.JPG.ba1a924e62fae95c12fd11ba96576a24.JPG

P1014044.JPG.a97e00e1f9f9bab9dc80514916b63ddc.JPG

P1014045.thumb.JPG.aaba9835f152b1ec78bb21244981ef7f.JPG

P1014046.JPG.990d80e21550f1c6d32e21669b705a3e.JPG

P1014047.JPG.1b6f70a4c1813fef1fe2866cf10a1be7.JPG

The bracket around the ignition wire is aluminum foil.  The 'rivets' holding the bracket on are just little blobs of paint.  The 'clamp' holding the ignition wire to the leg is also aluminum foil.  Pictures show that the fuse at the tip of the rocket projectile is a lighter color...   so I took the liberty of painting it a brass color.  I also used the artistic license to paint the ignition wire yellow.

 

Later, I filled the area behind the wing fillets I added with black CA.  Then I sanded it down to close to level.  My final useful act of the day was attaching the upper wing inner parts to the fuselage and spar.  Then I set them to dry.

P1014048.thumb.JPG.dd295041e1fc20aa36f08e8e8834a5d8.JPG

If I did this right, there will be a nice, neat panel line where there needs to be.

 

P1014049.thumb.JPG.ff9c896401073939490a3b208dc3f8d2.JPG

 

Thank you for looking!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks absolutely gorgeous Gary!

Great details on the rocket launchers and the angles of them under the wing look quite convincing. All the efforts you invested really paid off.

Also the rest of the plane comes together very nicely! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gaz

Fantastic work on the rocket pods. Yes, macro photography doesn't lie but again, you're looking at a part magnified much greater then life size and sometimes what we see is unrealistic - it's nearly the same as looking at the assembly through a microscope.

The rocket launcher looks and is brilliantly done. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

That looks absolutely gorgeous Gary!

Great details on the rocket launchers and the angles of them under the wing look quite convincing. All the efforts you invested really paid off.

Also the rest of the plane comes together very nicely! 

 

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Fantastic work on the rocket pods. Yes, macro photography doesn't lie but again, you're looking at a part magnified much greater then life size and sometimes what we see is unrealistic - it's nearly the same as looking at the assembly through a microscope.

The rocket launcher looks and is brilliantly done. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you for the kind words, Fellas.   I know I showed you them as they'd be on the wing.  However...  I just rotated the pictures.   I'm very concerned about gravity.  

 

I'll tell ya...   nothing shits me more than when I go to admire my display...   and I see some part that has become detached.  usually...   it's aerials, antennae, or some part that protrudes at an angle from the model.

 

And these rockets are relatively heavy.  So...   mentally I've begun to rework the project.  I ordered Styrene .5mm rod and once it arrives I'll see how it goes with the .7mm tube.  And....  I'll make deeper holes that penetrate into the solid-aluminum rocket projectile.  Because I've already imagined them laying under the plane in the future.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary,

I‘ve looked in more detail to your pictures. Do you really think they might fall off the wing? Each of them has 5 attachment points to which the weight load is devided. Just think of the small bolts which attach a wing to the fuselage of a real plane. You would never think that the wing will stay at the plane during flight!

Maybe you can do a test and post it a couple of days above a kitchen towel to see if it falls off. I bet it won’t !

But the decision is up to you. If you feel safer you should do your surgery. 
 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Werfers look great as they are and like Kai, I think a five point glue join should be sufficient. When unsure, you can tab carefully with a cotton swab onto the finalized Werfer-Rohre, with something spongy beneath, in case of. I bet, they wont separate.

In general, I appreciate the sense of security. I like my builds robust, and hate, when after closing the canopy some tiny part inside the fuselage come loose and rattle inside. It's a habit, maybe from my engineering background. Fragile is not good enough ;).

Cheers Rob

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Gary,

I‘ve looked in more detail to your pictures. Do you really think they might fall off the wing? Each of them has 5 attachment points to which the weight load is devided. Just think of the small bolts which attach a wing to the fuselage of a real plane. You would never think that the wing will stay at the plane during flight!

Maybe you can do a test and post it a couple of days above a kitchen towel to see if it falls off. I bet it won’t !

But the decision is up to you. If you feel safer you should do your surgery. 
 

Kai, there are really only 4 attachment points.  The 5th point, the hook and eyebolt joint is really only an optical illusion.  The weakest part of each joint is where the rod meets the tube.  The danger time will come as I work with the model near completion.   Integrating it with the rest of the fuselage and weathering means that it may be subjected to movement...   or even the occasional bump.

13 hours ago, DocRob said:

I think the Werfers look great as they are and like Kai, I think a five point glue join should be sufficient. When unsure, you can tab carefully with a cotton swab onto the finalized Werfer-Rohre, with something spongy beneath, in case of. I bet, they wont separate.

In general, I appreciate the sense of security. I like my builds robust, and hate, when after closing the canopy some tiny part inside the fuselage come loose and rattle inside. It's a habit, maybe from my engineering background. Fragile is not good enough ;).

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob.  The instability of the joints can't be illustrated in photos.  They only pierce the tube to a dept of less than 1mm.  So there is no mechanical strength.  And the CA...   just does  not like to stick to the Aluminum tube.  I've sanded it for the CA to have something to hold...   but it made no difference, really.

 

But I need to work on something else for a while.  Slap some plastic together.  And paint the uniform of Herr Weiroster.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, Kevin!

 

If you don't mind, I segue straight into an update.

 

I wanted to post an update yesterday, but I had to wait for the acrylic paint on our pilot to dry so I could matte coat. 

Then...   this morning while I'm spraying said matte coat...   I observed that I had forgotten to paint his hair!

Anyway...   Once matte coated, I painted his hair and put a little Future on the visor of his cap and on his boots.  Some things should always shine!

To complicate matters, while I was painting his Mae West yesterday, I noticed that the valve assembly for the Mae West's air bottle had broken off.  Very flimsy it was.   So, I made a new one out of stretched sprue and hurriedly painted it.

P1014052.thumb.JPG.771ee8f71af0c46847456fd3fa61fcf8.JPG

He's still got a little sheen.  I may hit him with more matte coat later.  I'm always afraid to spray too much at once and end up with a foggy layer.  I did it once before, and have dreaded it ever since.

Even though I used oils for the skin tones, I used acrylics for everything else.  But I'm not sure I'm totally happy with the finish.  I think I'll go full oils on y next figure.  Seems like oils allow you create subtle differences better.

 

And I got back to the plane this morning!

P1014050.thumb.JPG.abe5b951fd9272beb592274000b7f04d.JPG

Revell...   for some reason felt the need to make the surfaces moveable.  So, to get them right, you have to slice off a few parts, and fill others.  Here, I've used Evergreen sheet to stuff into the square notches.   In a while, I'll shave them with a knife, fill the tiny crevices that may be there with black CA and sand off.

P1014051.thumb.JPG.beb8fbac23d9afbcca5b84e1a19fd055.JPG

I also added the three parts required to each wheel well.

And started gluing the lower wings on...

P1014060.thumb.JPG.cfbf919136212dc361a932454a6b3e55.JPG

I'm happy to be done with the pilot, and looking forward to closing up the fuselage in a week, or two.

 

Happy modelling!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leutnant Weiroster is really looking very good! Like the way he is painted. I‘m with you that his clothes should be a little more matte. Will you add the Leutnant-rank also on the right arm? 
Very well painted on the left arm! 

Nice progress also on the plane. Good decision to refuse and rework the movable control surfaces! 

Looking forward to seeing the next update! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Leutnant Weiroster is really looking very good! Like the way he is painted. I‘m with you that his clothes should be a little more matte. Will you add the Leutnant-rank also on the right arm? 
Very well painted on the left arm! 

Nice progress also on the plane. Good decision to refuse and rework the movable control surfaces! 

Looking forward to seeing the next update! 

Thank you Kai!

 

Honestly...  I didn't know the rank badge was on both sleeves.  It's only on one sleeve on any of the figures that have it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...