The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

SH 1/32 YAK 3 "Here to Berlin" Finished

I have been wanting to build this crate for some time now not much of the Russkie stuff in the cabinet.I will be making some minor enhancements to the pit and maybe the wheel wells I have for the pit the Quinta Studios slides look nice and cool will be a first.I managed  to get the grey laid down the instruction call for a Light Gull Grey I opted for Neutral which is in between the Light/Dark gull grey.I also sanded all the pieces that were required for the slides to hit that had raised detail.

Yak3 002.JPG

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 003.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am liking the Quinta stuff thus far for the most part the T-handles for the dash are a PIA and Break so I made some out of PE left over trees with a little white glue to fluff them up.The handles for the consoles are good when you place the other half of the ball they line up almost like magic I paint some to fill the seam.I will try to finish the pit tomorrow if Momma will let me been  building a carport ATTM just need to tie the rafters to the outer wall not a big fan of macro work I like furniture.;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I have this kit, I'll be watching to see your progress.

Glad to have you along;)

I am not the best photographer maybe some outdoor pics later.........now others it seems have a steadier hand than I but were the wires feed in the back I cut off the stubbs ,drilled .020",inserted hollow rod and then the wire.I like the Quinta kit for the big slides but had a nob break while fiddling with the IP the thin pieces break fairly easy or maybe fat finger Joe here.;)

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 002.JPG

Yak3 003.JPG

Yak3 004.JPG

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Awesome looking front office Kevin! This Quinta-stuff looks really great.

I also have some Quinta and RedFox in my stash and can’t wait to use them!

It will be interesting to see a comparison of the two. I have a few Quinta, haven't seen theRedfox ones yet....harv

• Like 3

This is looking really good, a lot more detailed than my 1/32 scale resin Aeropoxy build which at the time was the only game in town if you wanted a Yak 3.

I also have the Special Hobby kit in the stash so will be interested in how it turns out.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

On 6/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, Peterpools said:

Starting to become a Special Hobby fan as the selection and detail level of their is excellent. Right now I have the Whirlwind in the stash and the Hawker Tempest Mk II High tech kit on the way.

I’m very interested in the Yak 3 as never built anything Russian…….SH unfortunately left me with a PIA but always willing to give them a go again……

• Like 3

I figured it's time for an update.The kit presents it's problems like most limited run kit first off the tail-planes have a terrible step on top on one side and the bottom of the other.I put .010 round styrene in the grove and filled outward about 1/4" and commenced to sanding had to make two passes after the silver showed the line still present at the edge about 20 mins a side.The next was the top cowl the moulding is either thick on the l/side or the male part of the fuselage is fat I worked both got some relief just not 100% maybe 85/90%.The wheel wells may I say were a "B" are made of 6 pieces all together to which you have to line them up to the bottom half of the wing and hope it lines up with the upper moulding I was close but no cigar but it happened with choice words and coercion.The fit between the fuse is OK should work but some wood clamps from the other side will probably come into play.Do I hate the kit by no means not it will be presentable as a nice build just not a shake n bake that's all.Now some pics of the good bad and ugly.;)

Yak3 001.JPG

Yak3 002.JPG

Yak3 003.JPG

Yak3 004.JPG

Yak3 005.JPG

Yak3 007.JPG

Yak3 008.JPG

• Like 4

Oh wanted to mentioned went to my first model contest in probably 20 years yesterday enjoyed it thoroughly in Covington LA about 1 1/4 hrs from the house got to meet some like mind people and NO WIFE!! Hooray because Kevin spent $210 on 1/32 Trumpter's Me 262,P-47N,P-51 D,P-40 and p/u a Hase 1/72 Emily and it's bigger than the most of the 1/32s minus the Jug.I am thinking of checking out the club I think I could of found a 1/32 in the built and took it with a prop.;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Peter never saw anybody mentioned the deal about the tail-planes but when you look before the plane got its paint you see what I have it's the kit.The cowl I read some about and nothing on the WW's just seemed a wonky way of building just me.Now if Momma with give me a break some with the dang carport I might move forward some in the next couple of days.I like wood work but macro stuff to the house not so much I tweaked C-4 and T1/T2(old injuries) last week to many hours  100' and all overhead rafter work.:hsmack:

• Like 1