The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Man Cave. Key is to have the right tools and know where they're at

Gunner Mike

For 7 days I have been putting together the Tamiya Tiran 5. Today I spent organizing the specus (The Latin word for Cave is Specus, Specus is defined as: cave, cavern, grotto, den and Vir is man. 

I usually do this twice a year. I had the whole day to upgrade the stereo system with Sirius radio and yes, that is Gloss Sea Blue for the work tables and cabinets. The room was designed from the beginning to be my workshop and my wife believes we built the rest of the house around it. The room is 10 feet wide by 24 deep. It is air conditioned, heated and the paint booth vents to the outside. The deck is indoor/outdoor low nap carpet 

So welcome to my abode. 

This is what it looks like from the outside. It can be entered through the 5 foot wide overhead door 
or from 2 doors from the garage and patio. This area is also where the hounds hang out when we're not home. 

DSCF0579.jpg

This is the port side of the bay. 
IMG_1137_zps239c02fe.jpg

Looking forward. the 4 drawer files contain my reference material. 
IMG_1138_zps82cbf7a7.jpg

File drawer, top left-WW II aircraft 
IMG_1161_zpsb2d18d35.jpg

This is the starboard side. The desk is a 1940's drafting table that I bought 30 yrears ago from Northrup Aviation 
IMG_1139_zpsbef69f79.jpg

I like to work on a tempered glass table top (an old shower door) 
IMG_1141_zps7e7114bc.jpg

This is my paint booth. It has lighting and vents to the outside 
IMG_1144_zps05f3ca0c.jpg

The interior is white enamel marker board which is easy to clean. 
It's also a great place to store the model I am working on. 
IMG_1145_zps8e87dcc1.jpg

Another picture of the desk top. All my tools are within reach and very easy clean up 
IMG_1156_zps19c7ab9c.jpg

That's the tour of the specus. BTW there's beer and sodas in the fridge. If you are in the Temecula/Murrieta 
stop on by. 

Mike Witous 

S.F. 

Visit us at: http://www.meetup.com/TemValModClub/
  • Like 9

I've just seen my dream set up! Arrow Wolf will moving its Global HQ from our Dining Room into a 10' x 10' summer house in the garden at some point in the future and I now have a visual plan to work from. I hope you won't mind if I save a picture or two of you set up?

Did I say how much I liked it?? :)

• Like 3

I've just seen my dream set up! Arrow Wolf will moving its Global HQ from our Dining Room into a 10' x 10' summer house in the garden at some point in the future and I now have a visual plan to work from. I hope you won't mind if I save a picture or two of you set up?

Did I say how much I liked it?? :)

He'll want a copyright fee.

• Like 1

Always loved your setup, Mike.  Looking forward to getting back and enjoying some beers and talking plastic!

Howdy Mikey. We miss you and your RUSH T-shirts. I hope you can make to the BBQ in October. Mi casa es tu casa amigo....

Very quickly! Dusting is a major concern this time of year with Tamiya paints...

Hey Doogs, are you a Vampire too? It's gotta be 0300 in the Republic. It's 0100 here in the other Republic and I lost track of time finishing up a Tiran 5. This is a group build and I wanted something quick before the big 17 flies in. I ordered it from Sprue Bros and they are suppose to start shipping tomorrow- er today. I may see it Tuesday. Right now, the ranch is 61 degrees, clear and I can hear 155's from Camp Pendleton. The Reservist are in town and for many, this is the only time of the year the artillery guys can "pull the tail of the dragon". Ah. the smell of cordite, coffee and diesel in the early morning brings back some good memories.

I have a staff meeting at work in 7 hours. I'm hitting the rack.

Out here.

• 2 months later...

Mike, nice set up buddy. It's nice to recognize a friendly face here. Didn't you posted your man cave pics on hyperscale? I have seen those before. Anyway, dang good set up. Next time I'm down south and you put regular pepsi in fridge...l'll stop by ;)

Mike

Mike, nice set up buddy. It's nice to recognize a friendly face here. Didn't you posted your man cave pics on hyperscale? I have seen those before. Anyway, dang good set up. Next time I'm down south and you put regular pepsi in fridge...l'll stop by ;)

Mike

Say WHAT! Blasphemy! :popo:

Commercial_-_Coca_Cola171-651416.jpg

• Like 1

I wish I could have my workspace as organized as that! Mine looks like a bomb just exploded in it.... Chaos is my middle name, keeping things neat is thoroughly impossible for me!

when I was doing mini-computer (WTF are those?) system management 25 years ago I had a sign that said

A Clean Desk is a sign of a sick mind

:)

• 1 month later...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!  I thought I was having a great cave. That is awsome!!!!!!!!

I think I am having a wet dream!!!!!

Cheers,

Arnold

...and I thought I was the only one who got that excited about workshop photos. :-)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...