The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII - 79 Squadron RAAF

repeater

I like the tonal variation. Cant wait for the top colours. Nothing like a good Aussie Spitty cheers Bevan.

Thanks Bevan..!    Hopefully I do it justice.

A public holiday in HK today and the opportunity for some bench time. 

Top colours applied  -   Mr Color 330  (Dark Green)   and for Ocean Gray -   Mr Color 331 60%  / white 40%  ish.   

Gray coat was also post-shaded with a lightened base colour.    Dark Green - not yet.  

IMG_9119_zpse8389037.jpg

IMG_9112_zpsbdfc1ade.jpg

IMG_9109_zps6b725fd8.jpg

Camo demarcation was airbrushed freehand.  There a few spots I'll touch up  - mainly on the starboard side. 

Also the top fuselage seam has popped up - will take care of that shortly.   WIP on the bottom pic. 

Next stage - more post shading, tidy up,  leading edge stripes on the wings, tail unit, overpainting the standard roundel locations, etc.  Lots to do on this scheme... 

All comments, criticism and feedback is welcome. 

Cheers, 
Tim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well now that I think about it...none!  :lol:  :lol:

hahaha.. ! Jonathan - you really must get one.. or two. it is the most beautiful kit I've built by a country mile.

That's looking awesome! I can't wait for you to stick on those stickers!

I'm nearly there Dave... just gotta apply the white theatre markings and gloss coat... speaking of which I'm not sure what I'll use for the gloss.. i've been using future lately but it's been cracking... ?

Thanks All!! Dave.. Paul, I'll try the mr color gx clear (which is readily available in HK). Stay tuned!

Checkpoint... slow going but progress still...

White theatre markings are applied (gunze flat white) and minor disaster - in my haste I foolishly did not adequately mask the upper wing surfaces. More touch ups required!

Also for some reason on this build I've had lots of issues with paint lifting up with the (tamiya) masking tape... again - more touch ups required. Perhaps I didn't clean/prepare the surfaces properly. More lessons in not rushing!!

Here's how it currently looks (ipad pics)

imagejpg1_zps87ac14a4.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9d37a902.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsb6b76513.jpg

All comments welcome. Now... time to fix these issues..

• Like 1

Sorry about the trouble, but from here the colouring looks amazing!  :unworthy:

Thanks Jonathan..! 

Problems fixed.. paint touch up applied and stickers on!    The gunze GX gloss was great.  polished it back and applied the barracuda decals, which were fantastic but there does appear to be an error in the instructions..? To cut a long story short I had to use the tamiya fuselage roundels.. sigh   :(

Weathering in progress.  Fairly simple - quick and easy approach - an oil filter (payne's grey, dark brown mix) which of course also gives you a nice panel wash. 

Underside in-progress pic below..  (note the unweathered wheel wells.. I haven't forgotten..)

IMG_9137_zps6e4c1362.jpg

Some photos from the bench  below.. 

IMG_9145_zps15628719.jpg

IMG_9152_zps6690c684.jpg

IMG_9150_zps148ed69c.jpg

All comments welcome.. :)  Tim 

• Like 1

Wohoo!!  The end of a long and extremely enjoyable build..  my modeling skills have improved enormously since I started... and still more to improve 

Some interim pics. I will (try) to take some 'proper' final pics post in the finished builds section - in the meantime

IMG_9192_zps90fdc342.jpg

IMG_9195_zpscb86ea69.jpg

IMG_9197_zps09e056e9.jpg

IMG_9205_zps1effc329.jpg

IMG_9214_zps803745e5.jpg

All comments welcome.. !     :piliot:

Tim 
  • Like 1

Beautiful work there. How's the fit of the engine cowlings?

Thanks Paul.. ! yeh... I found the fit of the cowlings to be ordinary.. very fiddly and difficult to get them to sit right... perhaps exacerbated by use of the eduard PE sealing strips(?) ..