The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

PCM Hawker Tempest V

After Jeroen and I finished the Tempest review my fingers itched to start work on it.

The following pics are the result if one week of making as many subassemblies in

Preparation to start the airbrush process. The fuselage and centresection are just taped

Together but they fit well.

So far the work has gone smoothly apartt from the necessary cleaning up and trimming

Needed with this kind of kit. But I am enjoying it very much. After taking the pics this evening

I have cemented the top wing halves on the centre section.

One deviation I did was to cut away the connecting block from the wheelbays and fit a

Mainspar from thick card instead. The centresection of the Tempest was dead horizontal.

Cheers

Cees

image_zps49cfa9c5.jpg

image_zps65ed4296.jpg

image_zps861e414e.jpg

image_zpsf4867462.jpg

image_zpsa5dec430.jpg

image_zps9778631c.jpg

image_zps6b2ccc91.jpg

image_zps65e48337.jpg

• Like 4

Cees ...

I saw a build thread elsewhere where there were huge dramas tring to get the resin gearbay to fit correctly (so that the assembled fuse' could join the lower central wing) eek! ... no trouble here I see?? ... but I'm still dreading getting mine in now!!

Good luck!

Rog :)

Rog,

Just check if the wheelbay piece sits snugly against the wing. Dryfitting is important to check the fit.

Are you working on one? Show it on this forum.

I just completed cementing the outerwing undersurfaces.

Cees

image_zps5cfbae13.jpg

• Like 1

The whole piece including connecting block fitted well on my example. Only some

Paring away on the fuselage fillet undersides. You can see it in the pics, nothing major

I chose to take off the block to keep the centresection flat, that's my decision. Others

May be perfectly happy using the instructions.

Just normal modelling Nick.

Cees

I chose to take off the block to keep the centresection flat, that's my decision. Others

May be perfectly happy using the instructions.

Just normal modelling Nick.

Cees

things which would receive a round of applause ten years ago do not necessarily cut it today - certainly not for me anyway

i guess we have different expectations and tolerances given certain price points, which is fair enough

to each his own

• Like 1

... Just check if the wheelbay piece sits snugly against the wing. Dryfitting is important to check the fit.

Are you working on one? Show it on this forum ...

Hi Cees ...

Thanks for the tip. I aways dry fit several times when building to test fit accuracy before glueing (no matter the kit or medium). No I'm not working on it at the moment - I'm still awaiting delivery (probably a month off before it even gets here) ... but I don't post build threads/completed works in any case.

I was referring to another build thread (on another forum) where the individual had to sand the resin part a great deal and cut away part of the fuse to get it to fit correctly ... like I said, I'm awaiting mine with trepidation ... although it seems that your gear bay fit without a hitch?!? ... so I guess it's just wait and see!

Regards,

Rog :)

Rog,

The first kits had some quality control issues such as warped parts and ill-fitting wheelbays.

PCM aknowledged this and replacement parts are provided. When you receive your kit

These problems should not exist anymore. But resin is a difficult material and can shrink or

Expand.

Cees

This is looking very free of any drama Cees, that's nice and refreshing given all the earlier issues; it's also good to know that PCM reacted to those issues pretty quickly as well. I'm enjoying this.

Sorry if you've seen this before, but the harness instructions are incorrect, since the "quick release" box was not fitted to the left shoulder strap; instead it (usually) went on the right hip/thigh strap (presumably because a pilot's right hand would naturally fall onto it.) If the pilot had to bail out, he would otherwise risk being clouted by the box flailing about, as he departed. Wartime straps were usually tan-coloured, too.

Edgar

• Like 2

Update,

I adapted the radiator pieces by fitting a tube between the two parts, this is supposed to

Represent the radiator duct. Also it serves to keep the parts equally apart.

The radiator photo etch was fitted by applying a thin coat of CA by spreading with

A piece of stiff paper, quickly.. Also testfit of the wings.

Cees

image_zps19aa72aa.jpg

image_zpsb7e76d82.jpg

image_zps1c7f7c2b.jpg

image_zps45b0fc78.jpg

image_zps4658c136.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...