The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

PCM Hawker Tempest V

What makes you think the Special Hobby kit is better, judging by pics? The PCM is a good kit, a short run

One, just like SH. Have you ever build one of them? Try the Buffalo and avoid hitting a wall with it.

Never judge a kit on what others say. There are modellers and kitstickers. Depends on what

You think you are.

Then there is always Tamiya.

Cees

Edited:

Totally inappropriate reply from me. I apologize.

Cees

Cees

Judging by pics the surface detail looks superior on the SH kit

Given the issues - which can if course be fixed by 'modellers' - and short shot parts on some kits (yes PCM will replace, but why go through the aggro?) - I can well understand waiting for the SH kit

Also, price, not getting hit with customs charges and so on...

Nothing wrong with being a kitsticker either, even though I do quite like the word!

;)

What makes you think the Special Hobby kit is better, judging by pics? The PCM is a good kit, a short run

One, just like SH. Have you ever build one of them? Try the Buffalo and avoid hitting a wall with it.

Never judge a kit on what others say. There are modellers and kitstickers. Depends on what

You think you are.

Cees

Ouch! Let's not start that one! From what I see around me there are the "engineer-modeller's" who like to fiddle with the kit, make many details themselves and often see painting as a necessary evil. On the other side you see the "artist-modeller's" who often see the assembly stage as something one must endure before the real fun -painting!- can begin.

The most endangered species is the "universal modeller" who likes to shape a detailed scale model from a Mach-2 kit, and can paint it as a Rembrandt, not only because of his talents but also because he has learned weathering and detail painting methods because he is also interested in learning techniques from other "modelling bloodgroups" as armour, figures, railroad modelling, ship modelling, etc.

Off the soapbox; Cees, you're doing a swell job, making that PCM Tempest to obey to your will!!! ;)

Carry on, lad! m1helmet.gif

... What makes you think the Special Hobby kit is better, judging by pics? ...

Dunno? ... maybe it isn't? ... but the Customer Service certainly can't be any worse!!! - I might actually enjoy receiving the merchandise!

I was actually enjoying the build Cees, thinking I might learn something from it ... but alas!! - I am one of those 'assemblers' you disdain so much! All hope is lost! lol :D

... Ouch! Let's not start that one! ...

... too late, it seems! ;)

Oh FFS can we not drag out the old "modeler/assembler" crap? Please?

... Couldn't have said it better!! ... Some of us without 'the skill' are only fit for the leper colonies :D lol ... It serves as a timely reminder for me never to post a kit that I have made!

-----------------------

Meanwhile ... any chance of some actual progress with said skills for those of us eagerly looking on in doe eyed awe?

and remember to laugh, people!! ... I'm Australian ;)

Rog :)

Good stuff Cees... don't forget to show us what you've done to allow the 'pit to go in after fuselage closed up (I assume that's what you've engineered?).

I do wonder if RandyPandy was merely indicating he was looking forward to the different version....

If anyone thinks any IM Tempest is below par, then I'll happily swap it with them for my Touch Down vac form.. :)  which is actually quite good and buildable.. but a million miles away from PCM or SHs offerings...

Matt

• Like 1

I've never really been a fan of the Tempest, I always thought the intake gave it a "Catfish" look,  but I have to say, this looks really good! As does your custom mixed cockpit green.

I guess I'm one of those universal modellers, in the sense that I've learned from building model railroads, armor, aircraft, figures, dioramas, etc... and one thing is certain, I still have more to learn! :)  

I love looking at other peoples builds, whether they be from an experienced builder or not. Just using this build by Cees, for example, I may never build a Tempest, but I am considering some other PCM models, (mostly the Italian stuff), and now know what to expect in quality and ease of build. I also love a good Tamiya kit simply because sometimes I just want to paint and weather!

Btw-if not for how easily my Tamiya Spit went together, I may not have tried my hand at larger scale aircraft.

On a side note, does anyone younger than 30 even know what a soapbox was used for? :lol:

You think you are.

Cees

Edited:

Totally inappropriate reply from me. I apologize.

Cees

only because of the Mk.II option. the Mk.II has gotten a lot of neglect in 48 and 32nd scale and conversions don't count in my book either.  

• Like 3

@Jeroen,

Don't know yet, but it ill not have invasion stripes all over, probably only on the fuselage underside. In my humble

Opinion the Typhoon looks better with a full set of stripes than the Tempest. I have the MDC Tiffy in the stash for that.

@ Happy,

Havent looked into that yet but read about it on a forum recently, so should not be difficult to find out I think.

Welcome to LSM by the way.

Cheers

Cees

Well damn I made a good guess I made them 15mm wide, this is the first PCM model I've ever bought and built I was really disappointed with it I didn't expect Tamiya quality but for the price I paid for it I did expect more quallity and detail this model has fought me every inch of the way. For $90.00 I expected a little more. Thanks Edgar

Paul

Hi paul,

Sorry to hear that, how is your progress? Any pics to show here?

I just finished preparation of the airframe, no filler was used apart from M Surfacer here and there.

Next is installing the gunsight and canopy/ windscreen. Then time for paint.

Pics to follow after progress is made.

Cees