The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

PCM Hawker Tempest V

Paul,

Wow, that looks nice. You seem to have beaten this thing into submission despite the pitfalls.

Tell me, did you have the control column fooling the compass? It did on mine and had to relocate the

column a bit further aft.

One thing I did though is to paint the decking just after the armour plate interior green. Read that

somewhere but can't remember where. The ridge in this area is in fact a velt lining to act as a seal

when the canopy is closed.

Yesterday I fitted the gunsight and will finish painting it this evening, after that the canopy will be fitted.

After masking the canopy I can follow in your shoes with the camo.

Cees

Erik,

I do like invasion stripes but don't want all models I build to have them. The Beaufighter and Typhoon will have these.

The Tempest only on the underside of the fuselage I think. But the Dutch connection sounds interesting.

I have reached a point now that I wonder why I have defended this kit anyway. Getting burn out sypmtoms.

The windscreen is fitted now aftersome fettling. The gunsight doesn't fit, i had to cut off the reflector top and turn

it 180 degrees to prevent it fooling the windscreen. The canopy doesn't fit in the closed postion, I have spent

two hours sanding it (yes the complete canopy) to reach an acceptable fit but without any result. So the canopy will be half open as a soluton.

Some more masking of the windscreen and then paintshop time.

Cees

• Like 1

Sounds like an awful amount of vetting to achieve an acceptable finish only to have to accept a compromise Cees. I'm sure it'll turn out to be a fine model once you've finished. I know what you mean about invasion stripes, I suppose they're inevitable if your modelling something that was around or introduced in and around those times.

• Like 1

Erik,

I do like invasion stripes but don't want all models I build to have them. The Beaufighter and Typhoon will have these.

The Tempest only on the underside of the fuselage I think. But the Dutch connection sounds interesting.

I have reached a point now that I wonder why I have defended this kit anyway. Getting burn out sypmtoms.

The windscreen is fitted now aftersome fettling. The gunsight doesn't fit, i had to cut off the reflector top and turn

it 180 degrees to prevent it fooling the windscreen. The canopy doesn't fit in the closed postion, I have spent

two hours sanding it (yes the complete canopy) to reach an acceptable fit but without any result. So the canopy will be half open as a soluton.

Some more masking of the windscreen and then paintshop time.

Cees

Yup know what ya mean about that damn canopy, I just sorta cheated a little and titled it down a bit by accident while gluing it in.

Paul

I'm waiting on Tamiya's P-51D & Spitfire in 1/32 Can't wait to get started on those babies

... The windscreen is fitted now aftersome fettling. The gunsight doesn't fit, i had to cut off the reflector top and turn

two hours sanding it (yes the complete canopy) to reach an acceptable fit but without any result. So the canopy will be half open as a soluton ...

Well this is interesting to hear!! ... I ordered a set of brass undercarriage and a couple of canopies from Fisher Models - The gear is for the Tempest, the canopies were for the MDC Typhoon (one spare - in case I buy another kit!) ...

Hopefully it's just a 'one kit oddity' ... if not I'll probably be using my spare!

Thanks for the heads up Cees!

Rog :)

Thanks Rog,

If the kit canopy doesn't work, plan B is the MDC version, plan C Fisher, plan D Squadron etc.

Almost ready for paint though.

Cees

I'm avoiding the MDC unit because it's Vac-Form ... and the Fisher unit is resin and very well detailed :D ... I looked at the Squadron offering myself, initially thinking it was IM plastic - but it was Vac Form - gutted! ...

You prefer Vac Form ... Or just have one handy?

Rog :)

• 1 month later...

Does a minor set- back also count as update?

While preparing for a first coat of paint I dropped the Tempest.......

It landed on the hardwood floor and I saw parts flying around.

The closest thing to see a Tempest fly, but I saw it lying in the bin

for a second. The starboard taiplane and the rudder had broken

Away. Luckily it were clean breaks. Something was rattling inside

However. The dreaded image of loose cockpit parts. The control

Column had broken away at the base and the shoulder belts

Had come loose from the seat.

The tail is complete again now, and the cockpit masked off again.

Will repair it when the airframe painting is finished.

Now to get some paint on. Waited too long already.

Cees

James,

The exterior has, the interior will wait until last. But as I was planning to close the canopy anyway

that won't be a problem. Apart from the non fitting canopy that is. Might replace that with a Fisher

or MDC canopy.

While preparing the prop I noticed that the propeller blades don't fit the cut outs. The part to hold

all four blades is too close to the back plate. This would tilt the blades forward, which looks ridiculous.

Time to paint the thing. :wacko:  :huh:  :lol:  :D  :)

Cees

Update,

The airframe is together again. After the pic was taken the cavities have been filled

With kitchen towel ready for a coat of paint.

The windscreen has been removed as the canopy doesn't fit, to be replaced with

An aftermarket item.

Need to finish this one.

Cees

image_zps8f73fa2d.jpg

"Ready for a coat of paint".

That's music to the weary soul.

I've had a shufti at prices for the PCM. Very, very interested . . .

I like what you're doing with this difficult puppy. It would make a suitably interesting contrast to a RNZAF Corsair, and a perfect excuse for a 486 Sqn bird.

Regards

Rossco

• Like 1