The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WNW Bristol F.2b

Woodshedwings

• 3 weeks later...

Are you stalled out on this because of the decaling mistake? I do have the decals somewhere and I made masks for my Biff , I'd have to dig them out . PM me if ya want them.

Thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it! Dave J has a set on their way to me already, eta any time now. I suffered a couple of mishaps which sapped my enthusiasm somewhat. I broke one of the engine bearers into 3 pieces, trying to install it. That along with the decal debacle, a seam re-appearing on top of the fuselage and an ominous rattle coming from within, caused me to take a break over the holiday. I have made some progress though and will post later today, hopefully.

• Like 1

Well, not later today but.......

Decided to concentrate on 'family time' over the holidays but managed to do a bit on the Biff as well. So thought I would post some pics of some progress, if only to prove that I am sticking with this build.

IMG_3157_zps3b8f2bf7.jpg

Got the engine mounted, this necessitated a delicate manouever in lining up the broken pieces of the port engine bearer after I snapped it in three. I also lost the bracing piece between the two bearers and had to make a new one. I applied glue and then gently fettled the pieces untill they looked right. The radiator is just slipped onto the front of the bearers to hold them in the correct position.

IMG_3152_zps436ead97.jpg

The decals have been applied to the fuselage, this time with no mishaps. A seam reappeared on top of the fuselage so I have begun to tidy that up. Also started to apply a wash (Mig, Dark) to the fuselage.

IMG_3154_zps1fefb583.jpg

Next up is to rig the engine mount and prep for getting the bottom wing and undercarriage on,

• Like 4

Beauty!!....enjoying our tropical weather?

Thankyou and yes, drove to work this morning in -24 (-35 windchill) and all I can say is, thank God for heated seats. Still, it's better than wet and miserable, which is what the UK has at the moment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally have some progress worth posting. The Brisfit is on its feet at last.

081d4e44-23f3-4c5a-802e-402374b2b3f4_zps

Thanks to Dave J, I was able to replace the damaged decal on the fin and then attach this and the elevators. The join of the control surfaces to the wing and tailplane is fragile and I have managed to break them off several times. The starboard aileron broke off the lower wing as I was attaching it to the fuselage, as you can see in the picture. I placed the lower wing roundels but wasn't happy with how one of them went on. I was trying a combination of the hairdryer technique with micro-sol and managed to damage it. As I had spares from Dave, I decided to replace them but couldn't for the life of me get the old ones off. In the end, I put them over the top of the original ones and as they are so thin, they went on OK.  I was worried that the fitment of the lower wing would be tricky as it is attached by a number of flimsy looking struts. In reality, a firm joint is achieved between the undercarriage struts and the wing, this keying securely into the wing and holding the assembly rigid. It was then a matter of glueing the smaller struts in place, then lining everything up while the glue was still pliable, before pressing and holding it all together.

I39b529f0-c649-4424-b827-bac94ef7bff1_zps

I need to pick off some detail painting and touch ups before moving onto getting some serious rigging done. Quite looking forward to this but still have to decide how I am going to tackle it. Till next time.

• Like 4

Agreed .. I think it looks terrific Mike, it's' actually one of my favourite WW1 fighters, I think it's because of that enormous brass radiator [each to their own :) ] and it's great to see you sticking at it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a start on the rigging, commencing with the tail section. I have both varieties of ezy line but I could not get on with the flat stuff for the streamlined wires. I could not get the brass tube to thread onto the damn stuff. I have decided to use the black line for everything as I can just about work with this.

343760c0-c165-42de-b0d7-61ef418492eb_zps

After some hours I ended up with the result pictured above. I drilled small holes right through the surfaces which had a wire attached both sides and threaded one piece of line through all holes and brass tubes, crossing both ends through the last hole. After pulling both ends taught I secured it with a tiny dab of super-glue. I then slid the brass tubes into position and super-glued in place. During this process, I managed to break off the rudder and one of the elevators, which was frustrating. I like the way it looks but not sure if I am enjoying the rigging process as I am finding it quite intense and slow going.

On a lighter note, I came home from work yesterday to find that my bench had been 'sticker-bombed' by the valentines bunny. Of course, nobody in the house knew anything about it. I'm glad that whoever did it, stopped short of stickering the actual models, though I am sure they were sorely tempted.

IMG_3247_zpsadd47978.jpg

• Like 4

Got a bit more rigging done. The secret, I think, is to do a little at a time or it could drive you potty. I realised I should have attached the rudder control cables before glueing the two fuselage halves together. I ended up attaching the ends of the ezy line to a small length of rod to act as an anchor, inserting this through the hole in the fuselage and glueing carefully in place while pulling the lines taut.

953cd5a2-5d2d-47b6-873a-45f5251f6076_zps

I used brass tubing to simulate turn buckles

cc191415-f3d5-4e19-b957-5b28bee45d76_zps

The rigging realy brings the model to life and is worth the slow and finicky process. It's a good job the kids were in bed, as the air turned blue a couple of times as lines twanged off.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Got the prop and wing struts 'woodgrained'. XF59 followed by burnt umber oil paint brushed on. This was then wiped off using packing foam to give the grain effect. After leaving for a while to dry, I mixed Tamiya clear red and yellow to a reddy-orange colour and misted on in thin coats untill I had the finish I was after. This was topped off with 2 coats of Klear. The woodgrain is very subtle, but looks similar to photographs of the real thing.

b3a2d35a-02d2-4c8e-8b4e-f82b695c9ad4_zps

I just need to apply the decals, followed by another coat of Klear and paint the boss. For the struts, I will use Tamiya tape to bind the ends.

I have also been making lots of little eyelets from wire and glueing them into the wing ready for rigging. Tedious and repetetive, yes, but will hopefully ease the rigging process.

f2d659d6-8853-4974-8953-e1c5dac1a09f_zps

Hoping to get the upper wing on real soon.

• Like 2