The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WNW Bristol F.2b

Woodshedwings

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time applying the small manufacturer decals to the prop and struts. Painted the prop boss with humbrol metalcote and followed up with a wash (mig, dark). The prop looks great mounted on the airframe, very pleased with how that turned out.

086658e5-924c-44db-b3b2-aa431301d1e4_zps

Slowly picking off the tasks I need to complete before attaching the top wing. I applied the upper wing roundels using the hairdryer and water method. I don't know what I am doing wrong here but I keep getting blistering of the decals when I do this. I applied some micro-sol to get rid of them but this attacked the paint on the wing. After everything dried out I had to mask the roundels with circles of tape and re-spray before very carefully removing the tape. I can still see where the blistering occurred, but I'm hoping that a flat coat will help to hide this. The decals have actually snuggled down quite well. I cut thin strips of Tamiya tape to mimic the tape wrapped around the ends of the struts and painted up the pitot and associated hardware.

1dfa7560-fa70-479e-b901-01a3c65d792e_zps

I need to flat coat the top wing before glueing the top ends of the rigging wires into the holes provided. Then it will be fun and games trying to get everything alligned. The strut attachment points seem to be very positive so hopefully that will help. Will update again when I get to that stage.

• Like 1

Day off work today so anticipation was high that my monoplane would bloom into a fully fledged biplane. Unfortunately, the best laid plans, etc, etc. Those of a nervous or emotional disposition may wish to exit this thread now. It all started so well. I drilled out the ends of the exhausts before painting them Mr. Color dark iron. After it was dry, I buffed them gently with a Q-tip, which imparted a nice variation in tone. I followed up with a dusting of Mig old rust. I attached these to the engine, later realising that I wouldn't be able to fit the cabane struts with them in place, so I ended up pulling them off again. Oh well, not to worry.

3fa052a8-1018-4594-9247-fd83b938c94a_zps

Reference photos show a copper pipe coming from the propeller driven pump (fuel pump, I think??) on the starboard wheel strut so I added this with thin fuse wire, before painting a it copper colour.

7614d3c7-c859-4eae-93c4-6f52348a54fb_zps

After flat coating the top wing, I set about glueing in the EZ-line for the rigging.

7ecbbd96-1de7-46f9-97e7-c67a4a3b3ccb_zps

After the glue had set, it was time to get that top wing on. I placed the struts into the top wing and flowed some extra thin cement into the joint. I then attempted to line everything up, which with 12 attachment points wasn't easy. I struggled for a while, inventing a few new swear words along the way, before deciding to take the whole lot upstairs to the kitchen, where the lighting is generally a bit brighter. With the aid of tweezers and a torch I got everything lined up before gently pressing all the struts home. Realising I had left the glue downstairs, I stood up from my kneeling position and...... knocked the model off the worktop with my sleeve. It crashed to the floor and shattered. My ensuing yell caused the whole family to rush in and my youngest son burst into tears (bless). I am absolutely gutted. All I could do was gather the pieces up on a tray and see what I could make of it.

9b779119-a758-4ab9-bb76-4c664ed81b4d_zps

On closer inspection, the damage appears to be mimimal but critical. The tabs on most of the struts are broken inside the wing and one of the cabane struts is snapped in half. This will weaken the structure somewhat, but I should be able to get it back together (hopefully) though aligning everything will be tricky. Most of the control surfaces have also broken off, but I have been randomly breaking these off throughout the build anyway. I shall have a go at repairing it after I have calmed down a bit and a stiff drink has been had. It could have been a lot worse and I'm determined that it won't beat me.

Absolutly horrid! I hope you can recover from this accident. I still stress the use of a jig to align and protect the model. After mounting you will find your self handling the jig , not the model. Here I inserted the fuse into the fully assembled wings:

IMG_4241.jpg

Chin up Laddie! Your almost there.

• Like 3

That is my biggest fear for me dropping a model on the floor well I believe this is one off the wingnut kit with the most rigging lines and difficult struts so after this one all others will be easy hehe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After walking away for a bit, I think I may have saved this build. I have managed to get 6 good struts attached (ie top and bottom tabs still intact), and managed to align the wings using these.

7a0e2fc8-f21d-4b2d-8646-caa5dcfd1abb_zps

These joins are curing at the moment and when they are dry I will glue the other struts with broken tabs. This is why some of the struts are wonky in the photos.

74638269-f486-476d-a26f-e8f815c6915a_zps

I realise the structure won't be as sturdy but at the end of the day, I will still have a Bristol Fighter.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Nice safe there...... 

Your model looks great. Alligning the wings is always a pain. Dropping a model is like dying a thousand deaths... 

Fixing it and being happy with the result is... the best.

Nice work

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've been sort of frightened by this one due that wing and strut arrangement. When the time comes, I only hope mine can be half as good as this.

The struts, the decaling and the fabric....perfect.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeroen for managing to capture in words, my feelings on watching it plummet to the ground. I felt as crushed as the mangled mass of plastic on the floor.

I have located the last broken cabane strut and glued in place, the join being nicely hidden behind the port exhaust. Yes! And the build is truly on again.

Thanks also to James and Dave for bigging me up. James, I've seen and admired a number of your models in the past, so if I can do it, then it should be childsplay for a modeler with your skills. A propensity for colourful language also helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Phew! Just about got one wing of the Bristol rigged. Going through all manner of contortions just to see and accesss the attachment points. Using easyline and brass tubing to simulate the attachment lugs on the wires. Very slow going process, but looking good for it. Will try to get some photos up later. Nearly at the finish line now, then I can jump into the Junkers group build.

• Like 1