The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Engine/Cowling mount.  Hasegawa to Planet.

Cut the engine firewall from Hasegawa FW190D9.

Engine_Cowl01.jpg

Engine_Cowl02.jpg

A little cleaning required.

Spot glue firewall with acrylic for test fit.

Engine_Cowl03.jpg

Looks good.

Engine_Cowl04.jpg

Cowling flaps.

Engine_Cowl05.jpg

Engine radiator.

Engine_Cowl06.jpg

Cowling fit.

Engine_Cowl07.jpg

Engine_Cowl08.jpg

Color me happy.  :)  CA glue firewall and let it cure till weekend.

• Like 1

Working on the prop hub base required some modification in order to fit the Hasegawa components.

PropHub01.jpg

First task is to drill the prop hub plate in order to work with the Hasegawa mount.  A hole has to be drilled through.  After centering the drill point a 1.10mm bit is used to make the starting hole.

PropHub02.jpg

After starter hole completed a 5/64 inch (sorry to my metric chaps) bit is hand twisted all the way through.

PropHub03.jpg

Then a 5/32 inch bit is hand twisted from the rear to a depth of 3mm to accept the Hasegawa rubber plug.

PropHub04.jpg

Rubber plug ready for insert.

PropHub05.jpg

Plug nests well into prop hub plate.

PropHub07.jpg

Test fit to Hasegawa component.

PropHub08.jpg

Next up will be prop adjustment.  I will be using props from Hasegawa FW190 kits as the Planet supplied props are too small when compared to photos of the 190C.  The Hasegawa props are more beefy.

• 1 month later...

It's progressing nicely Rick. That conversion looks like a lot of work, and you're making it look easy.

thanks.  not too difficult, just really time consuming.  Hope to get back to the bench next week.  Looks like I'll miss the deadline.  :(  Regardless, going to finish this up straight away

Back on the bench after 5 weeks of gnawing at the bit.  TKR recovery is going very well and I can finally sit on a chair with knee bent.  Looks like I will miss the FW190 Group Build deadline.  :(  Regardless, I will continue with hopes to finish my Mid April.

Time to add some plumbing for the Turbo Super Charger.

FW190C_Engine010.jpg

I am using a D9 as donor kit.  The rear of engine will be visible so I need to add plumbing from the turbo charger.  Illustration shows a DB engine and the Hasegwa FW190 D9 donor kit offers a Jumo engine.  Since only the rear portion of engine will be visible through landing gear bay I can get away with my FICE approach.

Illustration credit: Focke-Wulf FW 190, Vol. 1: 1938-1943, Smith/Creek

My plan is to soften some plastic tubing via boiling water and bend to fit into engine compartment,

FW190C_Engine01.jpg

Boiling water did not work so I nuked the tube in my microwave for about 2 minutes.

FW190C_Engine02.jpg

Carefully hand bending with tool yielded satisfactory results.  Then using a round file I shaped the end to fit on kit plumbing.

FW190C_Engine03.jpg

1.3mm plastic rod will be used for locator pin.  Hole is drilled through firewall and kit plumbing.

FW190C_Engine04.jpg

Locator pin now in position.

190C_EngineRevise02.jpg

Test fit looks good.  Will enhance part with straps, paint and weather with rest of engine.

190C_EngineRevise01.jpg

FW190C_Engine010.jpg

Yup, close enough.

​That's some pretty intense detail there Rick.

yeah, it will hardly be notice thru the main gear well.  But for those who will look there will be a connection with the Turbo Super Charger.

Cause you know someone will look and let me know about it.  :)

• Like 1

For someone who has to hop on one foot whilst modelling, this isn't too bad!  There's something Monty Python about that image :) Hmm,

Great tip about using the microwave Rick, cheers for that.

For someone who has to hop on one foot whilst modelling, this isn't too bad!  There's something Monty Python about that image :) Hmm,

Great tip about using the microwave Rick, cheers for that.

ITS JUST A FLESH WOUND! ....one of my favorites.  even my kids know it and use it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The landing flaps on the Hasegwa kit are weak in detail and nasty sink marks.  Using Eduard PE FW190 A8 Landing Flaps I get to work.

FW190C_LandingFlaps01.jpg

Thinking in 3D is required when bending these.  PE folding tool a must.

FW190C_LandingFlaps03.jpg

Whew!

FW190C_LandingFlaps05.jpg

Internal detail above has to be removed.  Bottom shows all clean.

FW190C_LandingFlaps02.jpg

Test fit looks good.

FW190C_LandingFlaps04.jpg

Kit part compare to Eduard PE.  This was tricky to bend and shape.  Patience and the right tools required.

FW190C_LandingFlaps06.jpg

FW190C_LandingFlaps07.jpg

Major work done.  Will add hinges later during build as test fitting will be required.  This was time consuming.  Worth the effort?  Yes, am happy with the detail.

• 4 weeks later...

Lately this build has been plagued with one issue after another.  I finish one issue then another arises.  More surgery, more creative modelling, more epoxy, more putty and a s--t load of sanding.

Fuselage, wing assembly alignment is turning into a nightmare.  Nothing I cannot handle, I'm just tired of looking at this and has been taking way too much time.

She may be binned for awhile so I may focus of wrapping up my Mistel 2 FW190, "Slick Chick" and get started on my Ju88 G1 build.

Rick, what's the problem with this one? You're doing a sterling job.

me thinks it's frustration with how much time I am spending on this project.  making the donor kit parts fit has been an exercise in futility.

Ok, not going to finish in time.  I did get some bench time this weekend.

Tail Wheel enhancement.

Fw190C_TailWheelMount01.jpg

Piston removed and drilled out with a 1.10mm micro bit.

Fw190C_TailWheelMount02.jpg

Fw190C_TailWheelMount03.jpg

A 2mm x 0.45mm aluminum tube is cut and a plastic rod 1.0mm dia will be used as shaft guide.

Fw190C_TailWheelMount04.jpg

Test fit is good.  Will align and glue then install prior to fuselage button up.

• Like 1

Engine and tail wheel mount.

Fw190C_EngineTailWheelMount03.jpg

Engine aligned and glued with 5 minute epoxy.

Fw190C_EngineTailWheelMount02.jpg

Turbo supercharger plumbing is not mounted.  Will mount prior to wing assembly.

Fw190C_EngineTailWheelMount04.jpg

Tail wheel assembly aligned and glued with 5 minute epoxy.

Fw190C_EngineTailWheelMount01.jpg

Next step will be to mend rear port fuselage and mount the wings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had some bench time this weekend, slowly making progress.

Pit05.jpg

Control stick and seat belt/harness added.  Wiring loom on starboard side of pit added.  Will cover the MG ammo counters before inserting pit into fuselage.

Pit04.jpg

Wiring loom on starboard side.  Port side wires to come.

• Like 2