Jump to content

Франкентанк Т-34 in 1/35 scale


GazzaS
 Share

Recommended Posts

Somehow...   I started this in the wrong section.  Must have been the bourbon.  My apologies.

Anyway...   Here is the recap from the first post.

A few years back....

    ...before I knew about LSM, I think...

           ... I built this prancing pony after being inspired by a scene in the movie Cross of Iron.  It was made from two kits...   the turret was Tamiya.   the hull and mobile suspension was Dragon.  To get the right feel to the tracks, I used resin tracks by somebody or another.

IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.9ad9e64fe022a966aeda4efb50db99ba.JPG

IMG_0164.thumb.JPG.bb5482d21497fc702fb3303f2a841c36.JPG

...  The name on the Turret is "Suvarov".

So now I find myself with a Dragon turret, magic tracks, and other parts...    And a Tamiya hull and other parts...

IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.9c1edc0a64b02361700419eb241dbbfa.JPG

...and I saved all of the directions...

IMG_0162.thumb.JPG.f4aaa37ace5bb57c901c5a7b637d797c.JPG

...  anyway...   it might be fun.

Thank you to all of you who replied to the other thread.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He He, seems, I got it right, because I haven't seen the first threads section :D. A build thread, great. I will follow, as I browsed my Russian armor stash recently and found some intriguing boxes. I bought some nice Russian figures three days ago, to accompany the tanks, so maybe this will be one of my next builds.
I really like your scratch work Gaz, but what's the idea behind? Why did you strip the rubber off the rims. You mentioned ash, will this be a burned out tank? 
What's the meaning behind the Cyrillic title, which translates to Frankentank? So many questions :lol:.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great start Gary! Will follow this closely like all your builds.

Thank you, Kai!

4 minutes ago, DocRob said:

He He, seems, I got it right, because I haven't seen the first threads section :D. A build thread, great. I will follow, as I browsed my Russian armor stash recently and found some intriguing boxes. I bought some nice Russian figures three days ago, to accompany the tanks, so maybe this will be one of my next builds.
I really like your scratch work Gaz, but what's the idea behind? Why did you strip the rubber off the rims. You mentioned ash, will this be a burned out tank? 
What's the meaning behind the Cyrillic title, which translates to Frankentank? So many questions :lol:.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

     Thank you!  The Cyrillic was just to grab attention...   we have so many Russian speakers here, it seems.  Frankentank...   the reference to Frankenstein is a common American way to  describe something cobbled together from parts that don;t really belong.   ...because it's part Dragon and part Tamiya.  And yes...  it will be burned out.  Some hatches open of course.   It's to be a companion of the Marder IID.  It was that, or try to build an isba.  Due to the 5 months spent on the 109 I feel like my model-completion count is low.  So, I decided on the tank. 

Anyway...   it'll be my second destroyed tank...   the other was this Valentine:

qUP99R.jpg.d52d57e7b904be8a3651283227d20a9c.jpg

Anyway...   I hope you like it.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gaz

You’re off to a great start and thanks for the explanation - now I finally got it. Right with Kai and Rob and will be following with great interest.

I do like and appreciate your new style of presentation - easily to follow and appreciate the work.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

You’re off to a great start and thanks for the explanation - now I finally got it. Right with Kai and Rob and will be following with great interest.

I do like and appreciate your new style of presentation - easily to follow and appreciate the work.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

 

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, I remember this one, great to see it again….

Thank you, Fellas!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HI Everyone,

     Today I consider a misadventure on modelling.  Who here has drill bit sets like this one?

TIMG_0196.thumb.JPG.9d7d4745815ce79ea0c93a645133bea4.JPG

I had a bit that was reluctant to come out.  So, as usual I tried to tap it out into the palm of my hand.  Unfortunately for me, the bit came out and I drove it almost 2cm deep into the palm of my hand.  It was a .6mm bit.  I pulled it out immediately and tried to work some IPA into the wound hoping to stave off infection.  There's only a tiny amount of blood.  The hand is getting stiff and sore now...  hopefully I don't wake up tomorrow with a swollen, infected mess in the morning.

Anyway...   the model.  I spent some time last night cleaning up the magic tracks.   Each one had 2 raised ejector pin marks that were easy to chisel off with a sharp blade.

IMG_0189.JPG.d4c99810d81757fba4c9d68c1277e85e.JPG

 

IMG_0190.thumb.JPG.26ef6d46f52d7e3572368c398525249e.JPG

 

IMG_0191.thumb.JPG.39027fca9ce7d655d8c84c25a102b30b.JPG

 

IMG_0192.thumb.JPG.44608989fb65fe13cd6f25ccdd2830ad.JPG

 

IMG_0195.thumb.JPG.a52327e071b0962e0c9380a14483a549.JPG


 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Argh, that sounds bad Gaz, two centimeters is quite deep. Hopefully your hand will be ok. I use tweezers to grab the tiny drill bits and push them into some foam for better handling. 

Tracks and handles look good on your Frankentank

Cheers Rob

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gaz

Not good at all and fingers crossed the wound will not become infected. After doing the same as you a few times (not as bad) I bought a set of collects and have all the most common bits I use ready to go. I do keep a second set in the case as a back. My most common wound is from my Tamiya knives scraping and cleaning parts. Just take care and keep a very watchful eye.

Nice progress on the tracks and the turret .. added details look so good. I'm assuming you use Mr Surfacer 500 for the texure - looks so good.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DocRob said:

Argh, that sounds bad Gaz, two centimeters is quite deep. Hopefully your hand will be ok. I use tweezers to grab the tiny drill bits and push them into some foam for better handling. 

Tracks and handles look good on your Frankentank

Cheers Rob

 

7 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Not good at all and fingers crossed the wound will not become infected. After doing the same as you a few times (not as bad) I bought a set of collects and have all the most common bits I use ready to go. I do keep a second set in the case as a back. My most common wound is from my Tamiya knives scraping and cleaning parts. Just take care and keep a very watchful eye.

Nice progress on the tracks and the turret .. added details look so good. I'm assuming you use Mr Surfacer 500 for the texure - looks so good.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you for the well wishes and commendations, my friends.  I woke this morning with a stiff and sore hand.  But there doesn't seem to be any appreciable swelling.  But I'll definitely keep paying attention.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Privyet Comrades,

     Today I will call the upperworks done.  The hull and turret are festooned with grab handles and the bare necessities round out the construction.  I used Mr Surfacer in different ways to try to make the cast parts look different from the rolled steel.  All that remains to assemble are the 102 track links. 

IMG_0197.thumb.JPG.86c6fe6b375cef480c78aa2e17d22f2b.JPG

 

IMG_0198.thumb.JPG.8ac9dc769d92e24b57e0deef61d33eba.JPG

 

IMG_0199.thumb.JPG.f410cc55bd4fb32c18d97bdbae425223.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2021 at 12:25 AM, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Terrific work on the turret s the cast features look spot on the money. Only 102 track links - I would be shaking in my boots, knowing all that work is my next part of the build to work through and complete.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

 

On 10/31/2021 at 8:16 AM, Kaireckstadt said:

Awesome work Gary. And please take care of your wound! 

Thank you, my friends! 

Just a small update today.  I'll be painting, soon.

IMG_0205.thumb.JPG.808a64f7d9e3755670d94d2f6ab1aa64.JPG

Hopefully they'll show up well under the paint and weathering.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

These tracks look like the real ones.

Can’t wait to see them painted!

Thank you, Kai.  I'm not sure which ones are more realistic.  The master club resin tracks I used on the leaping t-34 were much thinner and looked the part.  These seem thicker, closer to the thickness of German tank tracks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Holy Smoke, the tracks look perfect and the effect of them resting on the wheels adds a feeling of weight and heft. Right with Kai - can’t wait for the paint.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter.  I'm really looking forward to doing this burnt out derelict.  It will be all new ground for me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, harv said:

The tracks are awesome  and the build is coming along just great ! How is your hand ?.....harv

Thank you, my friend.  My hand is doing fine.  Luckily no infection and I'm up to date on my tetanus booster.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...