Jump to content

1:32nd scale Salmson 2-A2


Recommended Posts

Hi all,
The next build will hopefully be a French Salmson 2-A2 ‘Le Gone’, Ser No.602, which operated with the Escadrille SAL 61 from January

snap3.jpg

Salmson 2A2 ‘Le Gone’ was assigned to the Escadrille SAL 61 at the beginning of 1918. The aircraft carried the marking of ’Le Gone’ of the left, forward side of the fuselage. The term ‘Le Gone’ denotes a child in the language of the Lyon region (Rhône). It is supposed that the aircraft making may refer that the pilot was very young and from the Lyon region. The aircraft operated with SAL 61 from January 1918 until SAL 61 disbanded in Belgium on the 9th of March 1919. The actual colours for the aircraft markings are as usual, open to interpretation, but ‘Wingnut Wings’ research suggest the colours are probably as shown below.

snap1.jpg

Mike

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,
The basic engine is complete.
I've added the ignition harnesses to the two rear mounted magnetos.
Also the twin ignition leads from the circular support tube to the twin sparks plugs on each of the nine cylinders.
The radiator shutters are being modeled as open,

Mike 

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

engdone3.jpg

engdone4.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
The basic engine is complete.
I've added the ignition harnesses to the two rear mounted magnetos.
Also the twin ignition leads from the circular support tube to the twin sparks plugs on each of the nine cylinders.
The radiator shutters are being modeled as open,

Mike 

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

engdone3.jpg:popcorn:

engdone4.jpg

OMG ! JUST AWESOME......harv

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,
Sorry, but I forgot to take shots of the cockpit assembly before closing up the fuselage!!
Anyway I added the rudder and elevator control cables.
Also the cross bracing wires in the cockpit side frames, across the internal frames and on the floor panels.
The observer/gunner seat is fitted in the stowed position, as I'll be adding a figure into the rear cockpit.
I still have some weathering and detail to add, such as cockpit and engine control rods and pipes and the wireless reel wire etc.
As usual, not much can be seen once the cockpit decking panel is fitted - hey ho.

For now I'll be putting this model aside so that I can complete the Avro 'Vulcan' Mk.2  I'm building for a friends birthday next month.
Then I'll be back on the Salmson,

Mike

closed1.jpg

closed2.jpg

closed3.jpg

closed4.jpg

closed5.jpg

closed6.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Drifter,

I have used wood effect decals and oil paints to create a wood effect.

However, I tend to use a water based crafters acrylic paint from 'DecoArt'.

The paint is their 'Burnt Umber', which needs no thinning and can be applied straight from the bottle, either by brush or sponge.

I'll prime the surfaces then airbrush 'Tamiya' Deck Tan (XF55), then apply the paint.

Normally I brush it over the surfaces and regularly wash the brush in water, which can also be used to thin the paint is desired.

Unlike normal oil paint, this paint dries quickly so you need to be careful over brushing as it can lift off the previously applied layer.

Once dry it can be clear coated with a semi-matte acrylic or lacquer clear coat.

For propellers adding 'Tamiya' Clear Yellow (X24) or Orange (X26) adds a varnished finish.

Each of my build logs has a chapter dedicated to 'wood effects'.

Just click on a PDF icon to download the detailed build log from my site (link in signature below),

 

Mike

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
A few updates on the Salmson 2-A2 build.

The front end is coming together now.
The engine assembly is fitted with the painted access panels.
The three on the left side are being left off as the intention is to have a mechanic working on that area.
I've added the twin cross bracing wires to the front bay frame (0.08 mm mono-filament, 0.4 mm diameter blackened Brass tube and 'GasPatch' 1:48th scale turnbuckles (Type C).
I've also added the access panel metal support ring around the front of the engine support beams.
The 'GasPatch' replacement Vickers machine gun and the mounting recess in the panel have been slightly modified to fit.
Also the carburettor air intake pipe has been drilled out as it was moulded solid.

Now it's onto adding more detail such as wiring, terminal box, cables etc to the exposed structure, using photographs as a guide,

Mike

bay6.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,
I've been working on the areas of the model that will remain exposed.
The fixed in position access panels have been painted and fitted.
I've cut out the cable entry openings in the rear frame and removed pre-molded detail from the fuselage rear access panel area to allow for adding detail.
This included twin crossed bracing wires, electrical terminal box, a fuselage rib and electrical wire conduits and pipes.

Next is to add the electrical wires,

Mike 

spacer.png

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...