Jump to content

1:32nd scale Salmson 2-A2


sandbagger
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,
I've been fighting off a cold and cough (not Covid) for the past few weeks, so I've not posted updates.
However, here's and update for the Salmson.
I've used a combination of 'Tamiya' acrylic and 'Hataka' lacquer paints for the external camouflage scheme.
This was all airbrushed with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600 for applying the decals.
I cut templates to create the various shapes required then transferred them onto the 'Aviattic’ Linen Weave effect (ATT32236) decal sheets. 
These were applied after which the kit decals were added.
Everything was given a coat of 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer as the base for applying weathering, which I'll be applying next,

Mike

decal1.jpg

decal2.jpg

decal3.jpg

decal4.jpgdecal5.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,
Just a few updates.
The wheels have 'Aviattic' linen weave effect decal applied.
The landing gear is painted ready to assemble.
The two Lewis and single Vickers machine guns are prepared for fitting.
The 'Proper Plane' laminated wood propeller has got it decals and semi-matte clear coat.
All of these have yet to be weathered etc,

Mike

wheelsdone.jpg

gear.jpg

strutsdone.jpg

lewisdone.jpg

vickersdone.jpg

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All,
The twin bracing wires between the front and rear cabane struts are pre-rigged.
Also the win wires between the rear cabane struts.
The turnbuckles are fitted on the ends of the lines, but the lines are left loose at the anchor points.
This should make it easier to final rig these lines once the upper wing is fitted,

Mike

cabaneprerig.jpg

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,
The underside of the upper wing is now pre-rigged.
This covers the twin flying and landing wires, twin cabane bracing wires, drag wires and interplane incidence wires.
The turnbuckles are fixed on the lines, but the anchor point loops are left loose for final fitting once the wing is fitted.
Now it's on to pre-rigging the aileron, elevator and rudder control horns.
Also the twin bracing wires for the fin bracing,

Mike

wingprerig.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 3:50 PM, sandbagger said:

I've used a combination of 'Tamiya' acrylic and 'Hataka' lacquer paints for the external camouflage scheme.
This was all airbrushed with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600 for applying the decals.
I cut templates to create the various shapes required then transferred them onto the 'Aviattic’ Linen Weave effect (ATT32236) decal sheets. 
These were applied after which the kit decals were added.
Everything was given a coat of 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer as the base for applying weathering, which I'll be applying next,

Hi Mike, a Happy New Year to you, your work continuous with the same high quality in 2022.
I don't know, if I understood the painting and decaling process right.
Did you first paint the camo, gloss coat it, decal it with insignia and markings and finally apply the Aviattic linen decal, before semi matte coating overall?
Is the linen decal so translucent? I only used Aviattic's lozenge decals with linen texture and these were relatively opaque.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Hi Mike, a Happy New Year to you, your work continuous with the same high quality in 2022.
I don't know, if I understood the painting and decaling process right.
Did you first paint the camo, gloss coat it, decal it with insignia and markings and finally apply the Aviattic linen decal, before semi matte coating overall?
Is the linen decal so translucent? I only used Aviattic's lozenge decals with linen texture and these were relatively opaque.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes more or less. I apply the kit decals over the linen decals, as in real life these would have been painted on, so covering any visible linen weave. The linen weave effect decal sheets are transparent other than the printed linen effect. Whatever paint colours are under the decal will shown through. I find these decals are best for adding linen effect over painted surfaces.  

Prime then paint the camouflage. Then clear gloss coat.

Apply the 'Aviattic' transparent linen weave effect decals over the relevant surfaces.

Then apply the kit decals.

A sealing clear semi-matte coat and once dry, apply weathering.

Finally a light clear semi-matte coat to seal it all.

 

Mike

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Mike, your information comes in handy, as I have to order some Aviattic linen decal sheets for different projects, like the Stahltaube and a Fokker E.III. The result is as you showed very convincing with the linen texture showing through paint and decals.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thank you Mike, your information comes in handy, as I have to order some Aviattic linen decal sheets for different projects, like the Stahltaube and a Fokker E.III. The result is as you showed very convincing with the linen texture showing through paint and decals.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

I think these linen weave effect decals from 'Aviattic' would suit any aircraft of mainly one colour, such as the Eindeckers and the Taube.

The only disadvantage is the number of sheets you'd require.

This Salmson took three sheets, and they're not cheap.

Also you'll need to cut out the various decals from the sheets, as they are supplied as A4 sheets and not cookie cut for particular models.,

 

Mike

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sandbagger said:

I think these linen weave effect decals from 'Aviattic' would suit any aircraft of mainly one colour, such as the Eindeckers and the Taube.

The only disadvantage is the number of sheets you'd require.

This Salmson took three sheets, and they're not cheap.

Also you'll need to cut out the various decals from the sheets, as they are supplied as A4 sheets and not cookie cut for particular models.,

Thanks again Mike, I used Aviattic's Lozenge with linen texture on different occasions and know about the amount of extra work needed to apply them. Not only the linen sheets need to be cut to size, the ones which are specially printed to suit a certain type of aircraft have to be cut, they are only cookie printed.
It's quite some extra work, but the results are the best you can achieve, like you show with your builds. The positive I found with Aviattic's decals is, they are very robust and very easy to work with and react very good to Micro Set and Sol. I even like the tiny bit of flex, they offer.
I only had no idea, how translucent the basic transparent linen sheets are. The Lozenge qualifies for pre shading, but I never would have thought, that you can paint a camo under the linen and the colors stay mostly unaffected.

Cheers Rob

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,
The twin flying and landing wires are now fitted, as are the incidence wires between the interplane struts..
I still have the two drag wires and two side bracing wires (each side of the aircraft) to fit.
Now the 32 separate infill strips between the flying and land wires to do,

Mike

wingrig1.jpg

wingrig2.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...