Jump to content

Kevin's other Hobby


KevinM
 Share

Recommended Posts

As some of you have seen I like to do wood work usually some what with exotic woods but White/Red Oak are plentiful in the South.A few weeks ago a Sis of mine came into town and we went looking at the Antique Shops over in Bay St. Louis  about a 25/30 minute drive from Biloxi.We went into what I would say was a turn of the century shotgun house/building now cool in that you could go lower from the entrance or ascend to the third floor at the end of the main floor.I found four spindles in a box of maybe twenty $4 each but I knew at that moment instantly what I was going to make and the color on this will be a grey stain.The table would be like for someone's foyer area either a vase or a catch-all tray on top thinking black handle ATTM.The build is what I like to do for sale item  mortise/tenon a little more time and effort but superior in strength old school.The bead at the bottom of the boards on three side is done by hand by a tool I made myself and I finely made me a wooden mallet yesterday Lyptus head (SA)and a Sapele(Africa) handle.;)

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 002.JPG

woodwork 003.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some other works and some you have seen.First is my Son's computer station(I still need one) measures 6'X3' along the wall Oak again.The next is the Garrett Hack Hunt Board I used plans here and the out door table was thrown together like the project now without the first thing on paper aesthetics was the the objective M/T also been outside for year now with 100" of rain on it.;)

51650-14ef2eb8e632a41cf282e077947569d9.jpg

51658-eaae66d46de860c722bb0a5c997ded2f.jpg

51666-3171ba3843c88d881f7dedd2550449b5.jpg

53387-91427bce1fa025f16ff46a89e4eceafa.jpg

53389-e39dba79e2cce7f969a436e4c75e9372.jpg

53393-0e47c163d1901447adab0b2f090dc11e.jpg

rifles 007.JPG

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thks Guys that's not all of it if I give my model skills a 70 I give my wood work 100 of my attention. I will sometimes cut a piece three times if the fit is not 100% to my liking call it anal but it is what it is.I only use nails when building what I call macro project porch works around the house and tool aids like the table sled.I like M/T the best but if it's a quick build for me I will go biscuit like my model cabinet.Again TY this is were I go in retirement if I can find enough people who like the work.;)

The Hunt Board I originally intended for my Nephew Chris when he was Coaching the Indiana Hooisers baseball team he had a Big Colonial style house would of fit well.The guy moved to Starkville MS and now the HC there but his house was designed by a doctor with a very abstract way of thinking I love the house but just does not fit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Very nice carpentry!  Love that corner desk.

I do rough carpentry when the need arrives.  My wife calls me:  "Bodgy builder"

So easy for the take down ten  screws hold it all together breaks down into three pieces. I think mine will be bigger a little  using Paduka wood outlined with Saplele with Sapele underneath for the drawers/doors.I like dark colors and really do not care muck for stains  hint why the woods was alternated in the Hunt Board no stain at all.The Paduka below but Momma wants me to build a bed with draws and grey is the color ......test piece now I am building have a boat load of Maple right now she pick out.;)

rifles 006.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, biggtim said:

Nice work!! I've done quite a bit of woodworking myself, though not much recently. That is very sharp stuff!

You looked at Garret Hacks stuff he's drifting a little further out for me but has some serious Nice builds.That's a pic of his HB I think mine is a touch prettier myself but his is made to a higher standard for sure.;)

http://www.garretthack.com/asb30x3k2qer5cpl3ngw1u84hu7i93

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Very nice Kevin!  I got into woodworking when I built my display case for my models.  Started out with some basic tools, now have a Jet 14” bandsaw, jointer, planer, better contractor size table saw, track saw and lots of others.  I keep my tools on the bench top size except my bandsaw and drill press.  
 

It’s been a whirlwind 8 months since buying our new home and there has been no time for models or any woodworking outside of necessary projects for the home. I’m hoping by this time next year I’ll be back at both full swing. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Very nice Kevin!  I got into woodworking when I built my display case for my models.  Started out with some basic tools, now have a Jet 14” bandsaw, jointer, planer, better contractor size table saw, track saw and lots of others.  I keep my tools on the bench top size except my bandsaw and drill press.  
 

That's what got me started some 25 years ago Scott when we got into the house I call those macro projects I can do them just not my favorite thing.It's kinda like when younger have that 70 GT Torino I loved doing engine upgrades but repairs argghh but that's a hot rod.The wife hated me working in the house on the models so she said why not build a shop out back? So,I did not to big 480 sq.ft. about 16'X30".I built the the display for my models it measures 92"lX22"DX96"H the doors are 48" if not mistaken I would build a jig if I had to do over none the same size.Then when that got full I had to buld another display cabinet to which another is coming in the next year.

The jointer is one tool I have not even come close to mastering I have watched video after video.I would like a better table saw what I have is new  after the delta has been delegated to box cuts for drawers after 20+ years of service.I plan to master the dove tail and by hand at that,it's funny when the wife starts looking at furniture dressers and such the first thing I check out the drawers construction.If the drawer is basic box construction I move on box cut I start looking dovetail I admire the rest will be equal.Track saw and I start thinking River Tables now that is an art and I have some rough Cedar with the bark in the pile coffee table and two end tables I figure one day.This guy is getting well known for his work 20min video.;)

 

 

 

rifles 008.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Very nice. As a guy who can barely nail two board together, I’m quite suitably impressed. 
 

I’m in the process of redoing one bay of my car barn into a bar/50s lunch counter/service station replica.  With parking for our 56 Meteor. 
it’s a TON of work. 😡🤬

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2021 at 5:57 AM, KevinM said:

That's what got me started some 25 years ago Scott when we got into the house I call those macro projects I can do them just not my favorite thing.It's kinda like when younger have that 70 GT Torino I loved doing engine upgrades but repairs argghh but that's a hot rod.The wife hated me working in the house on the models so she said why not build a shop out back? So,I did not to big 480 sq.ft. about 16'X30".I built the the display for my models it measures 92"lX22"DX96"H the doors are 48" if not mistaken I would build a jig if I had to do over none the same size.Then when that got full I had to buld another display cabinet to which another is coming in the next year.

The jointer is one tool I have not even come close to mastering I have watched video after video.I would like a better table saw what I have is new  after the delta has been delegated to box cuts for drawers after 20+ years of service.I plan to master the dove tail and by hand at that,it's funny when the wife starts looking at furniture dressers and such the first thing I check out the drawers construction.If the drawer is basic box construction I move on box cut I start looking dovetail I admire the rest will be equal.Track saw and I start thinking River Tables now that is an art and I have some rough Cedar with the bark in the pile coffee table and two end tables I figure one day.This guy is getting well known for his work 20min video.;)

 

 

 

rifles 008.JPG

 

Please send me the plans for that display cabinet. I really need to get one. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Drifter said:

 

Please send me the plans for that display cabinet. I really need to get one. 

 

 

Scott are talking about the pic in the post?I did that one with biscuits with the panels not glued in but floating if you like for expansion.;)

 

This is the cabinet I gave for dimensions in the post my first ever some 17years ago a bout's crude.Peter that's were the stash for the most part resides 30"HX22"DX96"L along the bottom and 12"H along the top.And yes about twice a year I have to pull the planes out dust and wipe down it's I think what happens on the other side I do not always shut the door.

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 002.JPG

woodwork 003.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kev

Awesome work and skills that unfortunately I do not possess at all. Nothing as appealing as a display case for your models and stash, made by the model builder to blend in with your home. Mine is a tall glass display case I bought years ago from a vender in Texas and shipping cost Was huge chunk of the purchase. One thing I have found is I sealed the sliding glass doors with foam and in nearly ten years have never needed to dust a single model or glass shelf, the seal is that tight. Only drawbacks is it’s weight and it isn’t as stiff/rigid as I thought it should be. Of course, I assembled it and that could be a big part of the issue. Still, I’ve had the display case now for nearly ten years and it does fit the bill and looks good.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

This is my case that started me down the path

J9ci5c.jpg
 

I built these for my die cast car collection 

2MYqEs.jpg

Nice Room Scott and Work!You are as bad as me I see those ammo boxes I got 13K .308,30-06,8mm,30Car and .22 on the other side in the wood working area with some more of the L'Arsenal in a locked closet.;)

 

We can call that the Man cave!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 12/7/2021 at 12:27 PM, KevinM said:

Nice Room Scott and Work!You are as bad as me I see those ammo boxes I got 13K .308,30-06,8mm,30Car and .22 on the other side in the wood working area with some more of the L'Arsenal in a locked closet.;)

 

We can call that the Man cave!

:rofl: yea, just last week I started trying to organize the ammo fort.  Stashed away 3500 rds. of 9mm, lost track of how much .30-06 I packed in cans (Cabela’s had a deal for 6 .50 cal cans for $52 shipped) I thought I was going to have left over cans.  Nope, gotta get more.  Probably 1k 5.56, 500 rds of 7.62X39, lost track of my .308 too. 
I’ve got ammo can trays on order and I’m heading over to Harbor Freight tomorrow for furniture dolly's to be able to move them around.  
Hoping I can make room to set up the old reloading bench in the man cave. Unfortunately the wife has to have her mark on the territory as well and there’s a useless old antique buffet taking up one wall.  
The safe is just to the left of the big black ammo cabinet the can is sitting on. 

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So here it is it does nothing for me but I really detest stain!!Now I can/will build another one this time in Sapele with tapered legs/inlays all the same dimensions and be 100% happier.My Wife likes the color and all only complaint was the rail design for the drawer which I already have a solution for that.;)

PS: still got a couple of coats spar-urethane to apply semi-gloss and no the drawer is not crooked it's an illusion with contrasting grains methinks I checked another reason it's blah to me.:brickwall:

builds 001.JPG

builds 002.JPG

builds 003.JPG

builds 004.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...