The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Dragon Panther A with Zimmerit

13 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

For me the placing of the figures looks quite realistic Gary. The soldiers walked as close as possible to the tank because of shelter and small roads.

Thank you Kai. 

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Like Kai, I like the setting of the figures close to the tank. I probably wouldn't let them march in the near exact row, they form on your base. The size of the base isn't too small, I may would make it even more crammed with an old boulder wall on the side, to have a condensed atmosphere. Large bases with unused space, often look uninteresting to my eye. Dio setting is not only about being overly realistic, it's also a snapshot, like a photographers view and a photographer wouldn't want a boring picture.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!  Some good constructive thoughts there.  I definitely want to convey a "narrow road" aspect.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Not at all Gary, I just linked pictures from the net , I hope they are somewhat relevant. Funny, that unlike Soviet T-34, Panthers weren't often seen surrounded by troops. 

I would think them magnets for gunfire...  so I think I would stay away, too.

I've seen at least one of those pictures in the past.  Still, it's good to see more.  You never know when a detail or an inspiration is gonna jump out at you.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Tannenbaum., oh Tannenbaum...

Wait...   It's not Christmas!  It's time for an update.  I'll bet y'all thought I'd given up on this one.  Anyway...   back to the Tannenbaum...

A while back, the notion came into my head to create my own pine bough.  After a few failed attempts, I came up with something, but it's size needs some explanation.  How many of you have harvested a blue spruce for Christmas?  Anyone?  OK...if you have, you know that the branches at the bottom can be quite long, up to 6 feet for a tree that is only 8-12 feet tall.   Well...   that is what I tried to make here.

IMG_0623.thumb.JPG.af008915415738896d0d76322ea1eda9.JPG

It doesn;t look half bad with light coming through it.  But with no light coming through, and in an in-scale situation, it looks a bit big.

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.7e3f37d70d8720c319d16d8ff5eae4cd.JPG

And the bristles...  maybe just way too much.

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.d20cdbc566d2a8238f4d145bd1967ecd.JPG

If anyone has thoughts on improving it, lemme know.  I used static grass for the bristles.  Perhaps I should have put a green scotch pad in the food processor?  Anyway...   pines are common in Europe...  so I reckon they would have been used a fair bit since those needles hang on to the branches a lot longer than leaves do.

I've also been weathering.   I made my own mud and used oils to capture both the wet and dry look.

IMG_0629.thumb.JPG.94c72ff7ae76191a1c110c7f6953885e.JPG

IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.1febbd2242a792f8ee7966139a104657.JPG

IMG_0633.thumb.JPG.2bd0fe10d4fcb776aacc2c2a3e35f154.JPG

IMG_0634.thumb.JPG.a9375c2c7ccf183058e5963c8d7d45a7.JPG

IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.1febbd2242a792f8ee7966139a104657.JPG

IMG_0637.thumb.JPG.27bc01ac88b1b5d9e22feb21267ef966.JPG

I used enamel washes to darken certain areas of the tank to simulate dirt in some corners and on the surfaces walked on by the crew.

IMG_0631.thumb.JPG.c178674a99ecb0a175e7dad8d63f0d27.JPG

IMG_0632.thumb.JPG.fc3c99282bc10195ce48b1ae442b6a01.JPG

I even tried to simulate grime, grease and dirty hand prints around the engine hatch.

IMG_0628.thumb.JPG.b193611c751058acddddc9ed00fd9a9d.JPG

I also didn't want to forget the burnt exhaust pipes and adjacent metals.

IMG_0635.thumb.JPG.ec328efdc7d212083e9a727c33317d54.JPG

And finally a gratuitous picture....   because I noticed the likeable angle earlier and wanted to make a more full-sized shot.

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.87951d21def1eb4a2040a33cfe4db0fa.JPG

Thanks for looking, and thanks for your thoughts!

Happy modelling!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Wow, impressive Gaz, I like your mud application and weathering, which blends perfectly. I always thought about mud in a layering way, with dry, partly dry and sticky wet parts. I also like the spots you applied the mud, as sometimes you see models, where mud was applied in places, very hard to soil with it. Yours look spot on.

The Tannenbaum, well it looks not exactly like a Christmas tree, but could resemble a small larch. With the light passing through in the firs pis, it appears to be very natural.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

Gaz

So glad the Panther is back on the bench and the weathering is continuing, as it looks so realistic; tracks with using oils for the mud is spot on.

Now the Christmas tree ... something I never would have thought about and wish I I had some ideas.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DocRob said:

Wow, impressive Gaz, I like your mud application and weathering, which blends perfectly. I always thought about mud in a layering way, with dry, partly dry and sticky wet parts. I also like the spots you applied the mud, as sometimes you see models, where mud was applied in places, very hard to soil with it. Yours look spot on.

The Tannenbaum, well it looks not exactly like a Christmas tree, but could resemble a small larch. With the light passing through in the firs pis, it appears to be very natural.

Cheers Rob 

8 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Nice attention to detail Gaz. Me likey,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlulEJLLsppe-nyw7t6HT

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

So glad the Panther is back on the bench and the weathering is continuing, as it looks so realistic; tracks with using oils for the mud is spot on.

Now the Christmas tree ... something I never would have thought about and wish I I had some ideas.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you fellas.  Still more to do...  including a base and some minor work on the spots where the Zimmerit has chipped off.

• Like 3

Welcome back, my friends! 

One of my birthday gifts was a gift certificate for a local art store chain.  So today I went and bought some very expensive Windsor and Newton sable brushes.  I also went to the LHS and bought some sheet balsa and a few bottles of paint.  Perused a few interesting kits...  but I wasn't interested in the prices.

So, I set about to work on the base.  After attaching the first panel with PVA, I realized I didn't have any thumbtacks to hold the balsa to the foam.  I clamped the one side, but then realised that it was both a clunky method, and couldn't cover enough points around the perimeter.  I sent a hurried text off to the missus who is out having a spa day asking for some tacks...   but being impatient as ever I really wanted to have this thing dry in the morning.   ... so, I looked about and discovered a had a fair few 3/8" brass wood screws.  Here is the newer layout.

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.c0bbf40a5b0061bc66cecb13916afad6.JPG

IMG_0666.thumb.JPG.45c66e0939ea24d22c4138a6ab26e97d.JPG

IMG_0667.thumb.JPG.f9a51c7f25e8e414cf97135bdbac70a8.JPG

IMG_0668.thumb.JPG.bb70cddab1f9944901ca92bc17f2dd9a.JPG

Happy modelling!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, absolutely awesome build, looking forward to seeing more. The new acquisition of the Tamiya Famo  & Tank Transporter has 12 figures with it…….12, I mean, I struggle at 1 or maybe 2……..

Thank you, Phil.  Doing nine guys was a big jump for me.  I did 4 and then 5.  It's still a bit torturous for me.  I separated the two groups inadvertently, but I think since they had so much uniform (clothing) differences, it worked out better.  I accept less than perfect results with each one hoping that I learn a little bit with each figure and maybe get a little bit better.  Last thing I want is to get bogged down in the search of perfection. 

I'd look forward to your build as I want to get into artillery builds, too.  Artillery is always manpower heavy.

• Like 3

Anyway...

I've decided not to put foliage on this tank.  It is something i should have prepared for from the beginning if I were to do it. 

So today I did the next to last thing on the tank excluding the matte coat.  I used paint to simulate the damaged bits of zimmerit paste which is damaged and not painted over.

I also worked on the base.  Puttying, sanding, and adding some textures to the ground. 

I'm not sure about the external color of the base.  Many use black.  But it seems very stark.  I have used silver here.  What do you guys think?

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.a8719c364a04d56b76fa887f3d065561.JPG

IMG_0670.thumb.JPG.38a4ad826c23a1406f81c4f1e94a7642.JPG

IMG_0673.thumb.JPG.4c31f1e0c1bc335e3cf8916b9c5692a3.JPG

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.eb98ddd2eddb48eeefb3e5697cfa8f99.JPG

Happy Modelling!

• Like 7

I like your base very much, the proportions are densed in a very appealing way, exactly the right size for the project. I wouldn't have used black for base, but don't like the silver either. I would sand the sides more smooth and would use a brown tone, which contrasts well to the sand color of the Panther and surface, but not too dark, to distract from the scene :2c:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Gaz

Noting like a Gift Certificate or cash for a birthday present - removed the hesitation from buying what we want/need regardless of price (sometimes).

Nice chipping and damage to the Zimmerit - looks so good. So glad to see the base coming together as it adds time and place.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DocRob said:

I like your base very much, the proportions are densed in a very appealing way, exactly the right size for the project. I wouldn't have used black for base, but don't like the silver either. I would sand the sides more smooth and would use a brown tone, which contrasts well to the sand color of the Panther and surface, but not too dark, to distract from the scene :2c:.

Cheers Rob

Thanks for your input, Rob.  The color of the soil isn't determined as of yet.  The stuff I mixed from Sand, paint (very cheap paint), Future, and acrylic putty is just the first layer.   It's really too grainy for it's intended purpose of vehicle mud.  I'm just kinda fudging my way through it with stuff around the house and trying not to buy those products made for modellers to buy.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Noting like a Gift Certificate or cash for a birthday present - removed the hesitation from buying what we want/need regardless of price (sometimes).

Nice chipping and damage to the Zimmerit - looks so good. So glad to see the base coming together as it adds time and place.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter. 

• Like 4

Hello Chaps...  

That's such a British thing...   Chaps.  But aren't those the leather pants open at the back, popular at some night clubs?  Anyway...   I digress from the reason for this post.

Today I did a bit more to the build.  i started by using pigments to add rust effects on extra track links, selected tools and towing equipment, the exhausts, and the stowage bins.

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.da46da4fb4d6affa0499ff341cbd629d.JPG

IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.6fc175c1a98f8e643be84debba455557.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG.1a414ded6fb3f06c054a5452325c3d4b.JPG

IMG_0684.thumb.JPG.904d1c1bf773d6a6b314e64a050c89d0.JPG

And in previous days, I've worked on the base.  I added stones collected from my yard, acrylic paint, Citadel washes, and some faux vegetation.

IMG_0686.thumb.JPG.d942cc6b8f8ab4f247a2e368c5ed18f8.JPG

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.838d0f30ec64cf0f9701bfc3753bea47.JPG

IMG_0688.thumb.JPG.85577a39e7c540a3f14314640483569d.JPG

IMG_0689.thumb.JPG.d7e0955caa790ba0675a25da9453a118.JPG

I imagine...   that you're wondering about the cloudy white on the base.  That's actually acrylic media.  I've had some kicking around the house for a while that I decided to use it to make some shallow puddles.  I had originally gotten it to make water bases for ship models.  Hopefully when it is dried, it will be clear.

The next operation is to finish the tank, glue it to the base, and then, add mud that should appear as if it's been squeezed to the sides of the tracks.  I don;t really have a plan for that yet.  Hopefully I can come up with something that looks real.

Any ideas?

Happy modelling!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Coming along nicely Gaz, Panther and base look great. Concerning the squeezed mud, why not doing the real thing, well at least scale reduced with the Panthers tracks pushed into freshly applied and pre colored plaster-mud or one of those AK or Mig pastes?

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Chaps.  But aren't those the leather pants open at the back, popular at some night clubs? 

I see you have been to the wrong end of Bourbon St. in New Orleans or maybe the intention?:lol:

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

added stones collected from my yard,

The Wife must be ruthless to make you work the quarry?It has been a while since I have looked in Gaz but your work is phenomenal in my book.I get scared every time on weathering it's so hit and miss with me and rust NEVER looks like rust I muck it up!Keep up great work!!:notworthy:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DocRob said:

Coming along nicely Gaz, Panther and base look great. Concerning the squeezed mud, why not doing the real thing, well at least scale reduced with the Panthers tracks pushed into freshly applied and pre colored plaster-mud or one of those AK or Mig pastes?

Cheers Rob

Thanks, Rob.  I don;t know if 1/1 scale mud translates well...not that I have ever tried it.  I'm trying to think of a local place where I've seen squishy mud, and not coming up with much.  Perhaps the soil here just isn't up to it.  But I can colorize some plaster of Paris that I have lying about.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KevinM said:

rust NEVER looks like rust I muck it up!Keep up great work!!:notworthy:

Thank you, Kevin.  I think my pigment rust looks a lot better than my painted rust.  The pigment method is pretty easy if you haven't tried it.  Lemme know if you want to know...   ya know?

• Like 1