The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Modeling bench ideas and input UPDATE! It’s done.

ScottsGT

I’m mentally drawing up my new bench in my head.  While looking online at pics I see a common trend of shelves on the back of the bench just tall enough to hold paint bottles.  Some of these benches look like the bench of more of a paint collector rather than a builder.

My current paint storage is basically a tool box with short drawers full of Tamiya and old Model Master paint.  The new trend of the taller plastic bottles won’t fit and they wind up eating space on my bench. 

Giving some serious thought to eliminating the roll around toolbox just to help reduce floor clutter and go with custom shelves I can build.  Maybe a few small pull out drawers for PE bending jig, air brushes, etc..

Anyone build or have the wall of paint and regret it?

Got any nice bench pics you can share? 

• Like 3

I have bought a couple different solutions, but nothing really works "perfectly", Either they take too much space from the workbench, or they don't hold enough bottles. I now have paint from about 12 different brands and lines, for different applications... Over 250 bottles stored in various places on the bench. I need a mansion for this to be perfect.

My perfect room would have 3 wall benches, and room for a conference table in the middle, with 1 side dedicated to building, one to painting and one for "other". The conference table would be for having friends over for build nights. 

I'd have a paint booth vented through the wall, and wide enough to fit a large 32nd model. and deep enough to be able to do the same. but alas... have to win the lotto first.

• Like 5

On 1/17/2022 at 10:45 AM, Winnie said:

I have bought a couple different solutions, but nothing really works "perfectly", Either they take too much space from the workbench, or they don't hold enough bottles. I now have paint from about 12 different brands and lines, for different applications... Over 250 bottles stored in various places on the bench. I need a mansion for this to be perfect.

My perfect room would have 3 wall benches, and room for a conference table in the middle, with 1 side dedicated to building, one to painting and one for "other". The conference table would be for having friends over for build nights. 

I'd have a paint booth vented through the wall, and wide enough to fit a large 32nd model. and deep enough to be able to do the same. but alas... have to win the lotto first.

Man, all that horizontal space would be so trashed in no time around me. :rofl:

I’ve actually come up with a new plan for my area.  I think I can fit in a paint booth that’s 4’ wide and 18” deep.   Been in the new home 9 months and I’m finally giving this area some thought.  Don’t know why I waited so long. 

• Like 4

I’m in the early stages of having my “cave” built as part of our renovation. I’m planning on building a few sets of wall mounted paint racks and I’ll post photos when done, but’s it’s still a ways away before I can occupy the my new model cave.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 3

Thought I had the perfect design in my head until I took a tape measure to my area….back to the drawing board.  Area is smaller than I thought it was.  Now looking at an 8’ table with a 3’ paint booth built in on the far right side and ducting over to the window when I can open the window and either just let it blow out, or an insert I put in place.  Probably and insert since most of my bench time will be during the winter. 
Now trying to figure out what paint is the best surface that doesn’t have that “sticky” soft feeling you get with latex paint. 

• Like 2

• ScottsGT changed the title to Modeling bench ideas and input UPDATE! It’s done.

So here’s my final result after many redraws and rethinking how I wanted my layout. 
w69lnU.jpg

And my tool chest with my paint rack I built. (It spins!)  Using the top 3-4 drawers to keep sprues for the kit I’m working on. 
BeEd45.jpg

• Like 9

• Administrators

You’re a lucky man. We have no natural lakes in Texas. Our lakes are all manmade.  But we got plenty of oil and plenty of cattle.   Copperheads, Cottonmouth, Killer Bees, Rire Ants, foot wide tarantulas, foot long centipedes, cougars, coyotes, chupacabra, and even a Vorpel Bunny or two.

C83E5D83-242E-418C-8BFB-77A3ECA814A8.jpeg

• Haha 6

No natural lakes here in SC as well.  The dam for this lake is about 5 miles down the road from me. 
We also get the fire ants, copper heads, rattle snakes and coyotes.  And now the invasion of the armadillos has begun. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

You’re a lucky man. We have no natural lakes in Texas. Our lakes are all manmade.  But we got plenty of oil and plenty of cattle.   Copperheads, Cottonmouth, Killer Bees, Rire Ants, foot wide tarantulas, foot long centipedes, cougars, coyotes, chupacabra, and even a Vorpel Bunny or two.

Wow, find that amazing Ernie, that there are no natural lakes in an area as big as Texas. Over here in Scotland you can't go more than a few miles without falling in a loch.

The stat that always amuses me is that Loch Ness contains more freshwater than all the lakes, etc in England combined. No wonder there's so much space for Nessie to hide in!

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

No natural lakes here in SC as well.  The dam for this lake is about 5 miles down the road from me. 
We also get the fire ants, copper heads, rattle snakes and coyotes.  And now the invasion of the armadillos has begun. 

Armadillos courtesy of us Texians. We obviously missed a few on the Interatates and Farm to Market roads. Not doing our jobs I guess. 
I’d still take Armadillos over hogs, though. I probably personally drop an easy 50 a year and others do many more, yet they keep reproducing.  Evil creatures them. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 10:27 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Yeah Ernie 

But all of that isn't as bad as 18,000 a day of illegal immigrants coming into your state:(:omg:

Ron G