The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bardahl Lightning was done last January 2022

I really like the looks of this P-38. A very interesting color scheme and certainly not something you see much. I'll use the Hasegawa 1/48 P-38L for this build. (Had to lay in a extra supply of gloss yellow for this one and the Mustang just finished! LOL) Stay tuned! 😉

Some history: This a/c crashed on takeoff in Salt Lake City in 1981 after the right engine failed. Pilot killed, airframe destroyed. Sad.......

48-P38-2-2.jpg

48-P38-2-3.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

I think you are living on pure 100 octane! Going to be a great build and will be following all the way :popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Changing my modeling area of interest has rejuvenated my "want to" as I was a bit jaded on military. Nice change of pace for me. :)

• Thanks 1

I just Googled the N number (N74883) and found that this a/c crashed in 1981.

I Googled the N number and found that it crashed on takeoff iwhen the right engine failed. Pilot did not survive, airframe destroyed. Shame!

After perusing several photos and reading up on this a/c I think some of the photos (naturally) were taken at different periods. Not a big revelation but it makes deciding on colors, etc. a bit complicated. I've read, and seen photos, that seem to indicate black props and OD wings. BUT, in this photo you can see the props are NOT black but a blue gray and the wings are gray. My estimation is that, when this photo was taken, it was in transition of being painted and the props WERE really blue gray and the wings WERE really gray (maybe a primer?). At any rate, that is how I will depict it (because I like it's looks LOL).:)

Bardahl Lightning 2.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Just seems the more research - the more questions, decisions and choices that have to be made.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Yes indeed Peter and I try to do a lot of research on my subjects. That certainly can add to the frustration factor!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

I'm willing to bet as a kid, you read every Superman comic at least once a week. Even after all these years, your speed and consistency still amazes me.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

LOL Peter! This P-38 is such a easy build there's no real problem getting it built fairly quickly. No mods other than replacing the terrible kit seat with one from my stash and that's about it. Fill a few very small seams, hit it with some gray primer and it's about ready for paint. :)

Alright! The postman just delivered the decals so it's onward and upward! LOL

2-4-22 001.jpg

• Like 5

• 11 months later...

Do you have a link or can you post a pic of the Bardahl Lightning with the green/OD wings?  The Draw Decal instructions text states that this bird had the wings painted in a green that matched the green on the Bardahl hydroplane.  That would look really sharp, but I'd love to see a color photo to verify this.

Thanks,

JR

2 hours ago, JRobinsonUSAF said:

Do you have a link or can you post a pic of the Bardahl Lightning with the green/OD wings?  The Draw Decal instructions text states that this bird had the wings painted in a green that matched the green on the Bardahl hydroplane.  That would look really sharp, but I'd love to see a color photo to verify this.

Thanks,

JR

I don't think the wings were green JR but gray. At least that is how they appear to me in the photos. I hope this answers your question.

Bardahl Lightning 2.jpg

Bardahl Lightning 3.jpg

2-6-22 002.jpg

• Like 2

I agree.  I found a color video of this aircraft flying at Reno, the wings were obviously NOT green.  From the angle of the camera, the top of the wings looked to be grey or silver, and the bottom looked more grey.  Possibly a function of the lighting.  I'll have to reach out to Draw Decal and see where they got their information for the decal instructions.  I gotta get this built, there's a Smirnoff F8F and the Crazy Horse P-63 in the pattern!

Thanks,

JR

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JRobinsonUSAF said:

I agree.  I found a color video of this aircraft flying at Reno, the wings were obviously NOT green.  From the angle of the camera, the top of the wings looked to be grey or silver, and the bottom looked more grey.  Possibly a function of the lighting.  I'll have to reach out to Draw Decal and see where they got their information for the decal instructions.  I gotta get this built, there's a Smirnoff F8F and the Crazy Horse P-63 in the pattern!

Thanks,

JR

Greg might be of some help. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

• JohnB changed the title to Bardahl Lightning was done last January.........
  • JohnB changed the title to Bardahl Lightning was done last January 2022