The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bf 109G-6, 70 Squadriglia, 23° Gruppo, "Black 4" (1/32 Revell)

• Members

Here's the latest off the bench, part of a Group Build/Review on this kit at LSM, the new 1/32 Revell Bf 109G-6.  I've got mixed feelings on the kit, after writing a review on it and spending the last several weeks building it I feel we've become pretty well acquainted.  So, in some areas a step ahead of Hasegawa, in some areas a step back.  The multi-variant design makes for a more challnging build than Hasegawa which is very straight-forward in it's engineering and assembly.  Beyond that some areas come up short, most notably the Beule.  Most of the areas are relatively minor gripes but when you've got a brand new kit you kind of go in with the expectation that it's going to look at what the competition did wrong and "build a better mousetrap".  To Revell's credit they did address a couple of the shape/length issues that Hasegawa got wrong.  From my perspective though these were areas that were not real noticeable and really didn't detract a lot from the Hasegawa kit.  That's my opinion only though, I know for some people these issues are more important.  Now if Revell didn't have any other issues I think that it would be the clear winner but it's going to require some aftermarket to get it up to speed just like the Hasegawa kit needs.  I know price is a consideration for some people, I live in Japan and get the Hasegawa kit in the $30-35 range so it's really not an issue for me, works out about the same to mail order a Revell kit from the US or buy a Hasegawa retail here.  I'll confess that when it come to assembly I'm an indifferent modeler, I'm not going to take a crap, limited run kit and turn into a gem like some people have the ability to.  So in the end, due to ease of assembly I think I'll stick my Hasegawa kits, although I'll build at least one more Revell with the new Allee Cat correction set just for S&G's.  Whichever one you choose you'll have a pretty solid start for a good looking G-6.  The BarracudaCast wheels are beautiful, the kit wheels are actually quite good but Roy Sutherland was kind enough to provide some review samples so I elected to use them.

Modifications:

Spinner: EagleParts

Exhausts: Master Details

Wheels: BarracudaCast

Sand filter: 21st CT

Propeller blades: Hasegawa

MG 151 gondolas: Hasegawa

Beule: Hasegawa

MG 131: Quickboost

Gunsight: Quickboost

Joystick: Quickboost

MG 151 barrels: Finemolds (brass)

Pitot tube: Finemolds (brass)

Seatbelts: HGW

Decals"  Eagle Strike 32039 "Augsburg Flyers V"

Paint: Mr. Color

The aircraft is done as an aircraft of 70 Squadriglia, 23° Gruppo, operating from Cereveteri-Roma in August of 1943.

As always, thanks for looking!

bf109g6_black4_1.JPG

bf109g6_black4_2.JPG

bf109g6_black4_3.JPG

bf109g6_black4_4.JPG

bf109g6_black4_5.JPG

bf109g6_black4_6.JPG

bf109g6_black4_7.JPG

• Like 2

Gorgeous build Mike! Looks fantastic and a great scheme too. 

Thanks for sharing your views on this kit.. the jury is still out for me..  like you, we can pick up the Hasegawa kits cheaply in Hong Kong but your final result looks great. 

• Members

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Gorgeous build Mike! Looks fantastic and a great scheme too. 

Thanks for sharing your views on this kit.. the jury is still out for me..  like you, we can pick up the Hasegawa kits cheaply in Hong Kong but your final result looks great. 

It's definitely a more challenging build.  The different canopy and tail options are a big plus though so I'm probably not through with this kit.  I'm hoping when they release the G-10 we get an Erla version out of them!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

It's definitely a more challenging build.  The different canopy and tail options are a big plus though so I'm probably not through with this kit.  I'm hoping when they release the G-10 we get an Erla version out of them!

Hi Mike.

Revell 04888 wil be a G-10 Erla, "news" for 2014.

Cheers,

Jamme