The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Rocket Science: Me 163 (Meng)

I just LOVE what you're doing in this Jeroen... Great looking pit and the replacement bits and pieces are just right... It does make you wonder whether Meng actually DID have this PE set in mind when they produced their Komet.

Get cracking then, James' build is only a fraction ahead now.

• Administrators

Adding the control linkages. Also included in the Eduard set.

I drilled the side walls through an through and added copper rods.

Also included in the Eduard set is the open/close lock mechanism. Not added this yet, but I can't believe how complete this set it.

null_zps267098c1.jpg

null_zps0b8c81bc.jpg

You can see the linkage arms next to the seat in this pic:

CockpitSeat.jpg

This pic shows the effect on the fuel tanks I'm after. Rough texture and a little bit brownish.

CockpitRH.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thnx Sean,

Here's where I'm at with the MK108 cannons. 

So.. I have MDC's nicely done versions, some leftover Trumpeter ones' and Meng's. And I've got Master metal barrels and blast tubes.

Usually I don't think about it and replace as much as I can, but in this case I'll use the Meng cannons. There is hardly any difference in detail, so why bother?

Actually... when you compare to the real thing (below) the Meng version is more accurate. The only thing missing are two slight bulges on the breach and two small holes. Easy fix.

The size all match up. The gun bay area will only receive some wiring and cables. That's it.

Reason the Meng version in the pic (top) is longer, is that it has the blast tube moulded on.

null_zps2cda4c0b.jpg

MK_108_30mm.JPG

• Administrators

Well it's impossible to get a good photo form this, but here are the cannons.

First layer: Alclad steel.

Second layer: Gunze clear coat

Third layer: AK chipping agent.

Fourth layer: Satin black / grey and brown

Fifth layer: black areas

Then some chipping. Then a wash with oils

and next up a little dry brushing.

null_zps94392aee.jpg

null_zps67485152.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Here's some progress on the gun bays. Jim brought it to my attention that there is an ugly seem on the outside gun bay wall. In reality there isn't and in reality there are reinforcement ribs. These will be added later. I cut small pieces of plastic card and am now trimming them to a good fit. I'm lazy, so I'm not making exact fittings over the total length. Only what can be seen. I also opened another hatch, which will reveal the air pressure reservoir that powers the gun. Number 2 in the diagram above.

And I will off course add wiring. 

4BC076B2-C739-4CFE-9725-67FF04470ECC_zps

A1D3F308-B591-45E2-AD3F-7493721FB440_zps

Then I added some Eduard PE to the skid. The Meng skid has a strange stack of cubes, which should look like Eduard crafted it. A hinge for the middle arm. Then I sanded the two 'arrows' from the bottom of the skid and replaced them with the more detailed Eduard ones'.

1438883B-EC1D-4F91-879A-6CE76434D2B4_zps

395A8F6E-9304-448C-8909-6F6317BFEA78_zps

• Like 1