The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ZM A-1 Skyraider back on tap!

Gotta love the Skyraider......and I do. These planes, two of them, are regulars at 

The Waukegan air show every year. They always perform a mock bombing run

including pyrotechnics. I get to see these Sky Raiders as they circle low over my

Mother's neighborhood during the show. My Mom's house is near the airport and I watch

the show, what I can see of it, from her home. This year I'll probably attend the show.

Anyway, as a Skyraider fan, I'll be following this build and anticipating another stellar

completed model.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Gotta love the Skyraider......and I do. These planes, two of them, are regulars at 

The Waukegan air show every year. They always perform a mock bombing run

including pyrotechnics. I get to see these Sky Raiders as they circle low over my

Mother's neighborhood during the show. My Mom's house is near the airport and I watch

the show, what I can see of it, from her home. This year I'll probably attend the show.

Anyway, as a Skyraider fan, I'll be following this build and anticipating another stellar

completed model.

The Skyraider is a cool airplane no doubt. Many schemes to choose from, SEA, Korea, cold war, etc. I hope this one turns out well to go with my 1st one. :)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Looking good, John. I've got the Navy version in process, and I just received the toilet bomb. My static dischargers are intact, but I did manage to snap off a cannon barrel.

Thanks Bill. I look forward to seeing your A-1 done :). What time period, Korean War or post war?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on the Big radial and completely agree, spending a lot of time wiring her up when almost nothing will be seen depending on how you have the cooling louvers, was the right way to go. 

Agreed Peter. It would be a waste of time and effort in my humble opinion. :)

• Like 2

This model has just been giving me too many headaches. All went okay until I got to the wings. ZM "engineered" them so they are moveable which, if you want to have them spread as I was planning, you have a bunch of gaps, etc. to fill. Easier said than done. I tried but just haven't been able to get it to my satisfaction. SO....TO THE SOD!!! I'll go to a kit that will, hopefully, be a enjoyable build, the old Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B/N which I've had on the shelf for ages just waiting patiently for my attention. LOL:)

6-29-22 002.jpg

6-29-22 003.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

• JohnB changed the title to ZM A-1 Skyraider up, now down! SOD
14 hours ago, JohnB said:

This model has just been giving me too many headaches. All went okay until I got to the wings. ZM "engineered" them so they are moveable which, if you want to have them spread as I was planning, you have a bunch of gaps, etc. to fill. Easier said than done. I tried but just haven't been able to get it to my satisfaction. SO....TO THE SOD!!! I'll go to a kit that will, hopefully, be a enjoyable build, the old Hasegawa 1/48 F-4B/N which I've had on the shelf for ages just waiting patiently for my attention. LOL:)

6-29-22 002.jpg

6-29-22 003.jpg

Too bad this one got the best of you, John. 
Looking at your pics, I feel you were not that far away from success, with a few plastic shims maybe ?

Anyway, I’ll be in my chair for your next build.

Hubert

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HubertB said:

Too bad this one got the best of you, John. 
Looking at your pics, I feel you were not that far away from success, with a few plastic shims maybe ?

Anyway, I’ll be in my chair for your next build.

Hubert

I've just had enough problem builds lately and will just set this one on the SOD. 🤪

• Like 2

John

I know and feel your pain, especially having suffered through the Infinity Helldiver; enough is enough. Seems we pay good money for kit, expecting some level of quality and when it has operating anything and loads of movable panels: lookout, that's just a warning that there will be fit issues everywhere. What ZM should have done, is save time and money on all the boat load for details that will never be seen and included two wings, yes two wings: one folded and one extended, as that will be the most looked at part of the kit when done. 

Just seems when a kit offers folding wings, build them that way, extended, they just never seem to fit well. 

Eagerly looking forward to following your Hasegawa F4B, as back in the day, it was the Gold Standards of F4's.

• Like 2

• JohnB changed the title to ZM A-1 Skyraider back on tap!

I decided to see if I could "rescue" this kit from the SOD and clean up the wing problems. I think I've gotten them to a acceptable appearance. Not even close to perfect but with a little re-scribing they should be lots better. Now I'll continue on with this build. :)

7-16-22 002.jpg

7-16-22 001.jpg

• Like 7