Jump to content

Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Update 09/23/22. Rear Canopy FIX!


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
20 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I think I dodged a bullet by not buying this kit. Anyone must be given a lot of credit

for building this one. I think Monogram had a 1/48 kit of this aircraft...I don't remember

If I had it or not.

Oh, not me. I had to be one of the first to pre order it.   Kit sits on the shelf of my build table.  Is it wrong to put a new unopened kit on the SOD?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 8/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, Martinnfb said:

I love builds like this, they make my juices flowing. 

 

va34_kersargecv33_sep48.jpeg

That Helldiver crew is in for the ride of a lifetime. Love the freeze frame and the starboard main gear actually airborne and well ahead of the aircraft itself. 
This type of accident was only too common through the latter part of the war.  Quickly trained pilots, demanding, high performance aircraft that bit the sloppy hand, and small, no, TINY escort carrier flight decks. The small deck alone meant NO room for error.  Corsairs had worse problems, Wildcats, Hellcats, and Avengers not so much, but they were Grumman, who had been supplying superb carrier aircraft for years.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Guys, it’s NOT as bad as it seems. Most ALL of my issues are arising from getting one manufacturer’s parts to fit another manufacturer’s model.

This kit is NOT as bad as it seems. Matter of fact, it’s pretty much a run-of-the-mill short run kit. The main airframe’s parts fit is absolutely flawless.  The interior is where the fun begins. But just fit one piece at a time and it’ll be fine.  Im VERY confident I’ll make this kit shine. I’m doing a few little things to it vor me, which is the reason I haven’t updated in a few days. 
I wasn’t happy with the bulkhead that supports the seat and pilot’s headrest, so I ripped it out and am scratching a couple pieces for it. That’s simply MY vanity speaking, not a shortcoming of the Resin2Detail part.  The canvas screen on the upper part of that bulkhead has me interested to see if I can make one out of silkspan, Kleenex, or similar. If no joy, I’ll redo it in resin. 
 

If you can build a Special Hobby or Pacific Coast  kit without issues, you’ll have NO trouble with this one, and in that case, at least so far, I HIGHLY recommend this kit. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

That Helldiver crew is in for the ride of a lifetime. Love the freeze frame and the starboard main gear actually airborne and well ahead of the aircraft itself. 
This type of accident was only too common through the latter part of the war.  Quickly trained pilots, demanding, high performance aircraft that bit the sloppy hand, and small, no, TINY escort carrier flight decks. The small deck alone meant NO room for error.  Corsairs had worse problems, Wildcats, Hellcats, and Avengers not so much, but they were Grumman, who had been supplying superb carrier aircraft for years.

In this case, looking at the shape of the island and the piece of visible CV number, it’s an Essex- class carrier, and this SB2-C seems to have looped 180° in the crash barrier. The MLG leg may actually follow the airframe rather than fly ahead of it …

The pic is absolutely spectacular.

Hubert

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2022 at 6:42 PM, Martinnfb said:

I love builds like this, they make my juices flowing. 

 

va34_kersargecv33_sep48.jpeg

Martin

What an intense photograph. I can only imagine the thoughts of the crew as this attempted carrier landing was taking place. So many things could have caused it and hopefully, the crew was able to walk away.  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

That Helldiver crew is in for the ride of a lifetime. Love the freeze frame and the starboard main gear actually airborne and well ahead of the aircraft itself. 
This type of accident was only too common through the latter part of the war.  Quickly trained pilots, demanding, high performance aircraft that bit the sloppy hand, and small, no, TINY escort carrier flight decks. The small deck alone meant NO room for error.  Corsairs had worse problems, Wildcats, Hellcats, and Avengers not so much, but they were Grumman, who had been supplying superb carrier aircraft for years.

Ernie

Agreed and well said

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Guys, it’s NOT as bad as it seems. Most ALL of my issues are arising from getting one manufacturer’s parts to fit another manufacturer’s model.

This kit is NOT as bad as it seems. Matter of fact, it’s pretty much a run-of-the-mill short run kit. The main airframe’s parts fit is absolutely flawless.  The interior is where the fun begins. But just fit one piece at a time and it’ll be fine.  Im VERY confident I’ll make this kit shine. I’m doing a few little things to it vor me, which is the reason I haven’t updated in a few days. 
I wasn’t happy with the bulkhead that supports the seat and pilot’s headrest, so I ripped it out and am scratching a couple pieces for it. That’s simply MY vanity speaking, not a shortcoming of the Resin2Detail part.  The canvas screen on the upper part of that bulkhead has me interested to see if I can make one out of silkspan, Kleenex, or similar. If no joy, I’ll redo it in resin. 
 

If you can build a Special Hobby or Pacific Coast  kit without issues, you’ll have NO trouble with this one, and in that case, at least so far, I HIGHLY recommend this kit. 

Ernie

You make it sound mighty tempting and seeing what you are going through, it's a lot more work then the Whirlwind

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Martin

What an intense photograph. I can only imagine the thoughts of the crew as this attempted carrier landing was taking place. So many things could have caused it and hopefully, the crew was able to walk away.  

 

I would think a change of underwear would be in order.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 8/29/2022 at 10:04 AM, JohnB said:

I have to disagree with you Ernie. I've built plenty of short run Special Hobby, Czech Model, etc kits and none were as big a PITA as this SB2C kit.

Beauty vs beerholder, etc.  what I like about this is that the main components fit perfectly.   
Now, I haven’t tackled the rear canopy yet, but the rear gun is up on my build. There are certainly some questionable dimensions on the rear canopy regarding panel height, etc, but I’ll tackle that when I get there. 
Maybe it’s because I’m on fire for this model, who knows? 
 

ALL bad ideas seem like good ideas at first.  Like sticking a fork in your thigh,… it’s all kinds of fun up until the moment that it isn’t. 

That Czech Model P-80 kicked my ass, John. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Beauty vs beerholder, etc.  what I like about this is that the main components fit perfectly.   
Now, I haven’t tackled the rear canopy yet, but the rear gun is up on my build. There are certainly some questionable dimensions on the rear canopy regarding panel height, etc, but I’ll tackle that when I get there. 
Maybe it’s because I’m on fire for this model, who knows? 

That Czech Model P-80 kicked my ass, John. 

The F-80 does have some issues, especially with the intakes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
12 hours ago, JohnB said:

The F-80 does have some issues, especially with the intakes.

That kit literally drive me to drink. Much to the concern of my loving Southern Baptist wife. I had a few choice words as well, ok, more than a few, but so far, for me, this hasn’t been anything I didn’t expect. 
I do think that OOB with the addition of a Reain2Detail seat, this’ll look like the cats meow, especially if all closed up. 
My next one of these will be all closed up, but with folded wings. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

(In fake cheesy high eastern Steppes accent) Small Update, but Great Success!  Tacked in the 3D panel and it fits GREAT! 
 

I’m seeing the possible end game on the work areas. Starting to really look the biz now. 

07AE86CD-BC4B-4DD3-B356-C1BC81AAEFE5.jpeg

DD1A10EA-CD47-4611-8BA5-3CD450E1014D.jpeg

1D9C3AF3-6357-4C49-86D5-71CA7CF1D599.jpeg

9C1DEA78-0859-4948-B405-9ECC376A3A5B.jpeg

AB777D87-DC46-4AA7-B9C4-DA71020FE333.jpeg

7CE4E1D5-3223-4E44-A71B-F4D6DC0530CB.jpeg

BE05ECC1-68D7-43F1-B8A5-EB0831CD1383.jpeg

E6195BF8-6CD5-4E3C-A961-FDFC1053E60F.jpeg

B13A9663-97FF-4551-8C6A-D50C6AEA7F58.jpeg

7B2A8957-0F60-4C4F-AA08-54653CA2ACC0.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I am using the Reain2Detail FastFix Wright CYCLONE R2600.  This is a 1 piece 3D printing that is utterly flawless and is truly a “fast fix”.   There is nothing wrong with the kit engine, matter of fact, it is a nice little kit in its own right, but the Resin2Detail part is just SO nice.  I it has the ignition ring, all wires, and superb cylinders, with beautiful detail on the gearbox cover itself. 
Im using Reain2Detail everywhere else, so I’ll use this as well.   This is literally about 30 seconds of basic painting. Just wait till we can get on it for real. 

88D0490F-F913-4ED0-A49B-918B82F1F810.jpeg

4F780B5D-F844-409F-B9A7-295804FDEF75.jpeg

FC50D96D-B889-4FEA-BB6B-0F84AF6258E0.jpeg

E1D3D93D-7A03-4C60-99D9-88F8408962E0.jpeg

AA05BE02-54AE-48DF-BA02-D57BC29F03D3.jpeg

E0CD75E0-DA73-431E-AFB6-467F62C3B82D.jpeg

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Open Bombay? ..... picture time :)

 

LtzXCTy.jpegA-31.jpegA-35_4.jpeg

OH Yeah!!

Thats what I’ll talking about!!  I have just installed the front bulkhead, so there’s plenty of work and wiring ahead of me. 
Once again, the Research MASTER comes to the aid of a fellow time traveler 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

OK GUYS, absolute apologies to anyone who read my engine post and was shocked or offended. 😡

I communicate on my iPad in three languages:  English, some German, and some Polish. 
It appears when I typed the type of Wright radial engine that was being modeled, my iPad did an autocorrect of the word Cyclone into German.  We do have some Jewish members, and if anyone saw it, I immediately fixed it after loading my drawers and freaking out.  It’s not bad in and of itself, but we’re all warplane aficionados, and we dabble in history a whole lot around here. 
My bad, I saw it, I fixed it. I’ll look more carefully next time.  But look on the bright side. At least it didn’t come out as trąba powietrzna

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

OK GUYS, absolute apologies to anyone who read my engine post and was shocked or offended. 😡

I communicate on my iPad in three languages:  English, some German, and some Polish. 
It appears when I typed the type of Wright radial engine that was being modeled, my iPad did an autocorrect of the word Cyclone into German.  We do have some Jewish members, and if anyone saw it, I immediately fixed it after loading my drawers and freaking out.  It’s not bad in and of itself, but we’re all warplane aficionados, and we dabble in history a whole lot around here. 
My bad, I saw it, I fixed it. I’ll look more carefully next time.  But look on the bright side. At least it didn’t come out as trąba powietrzna

This new technology is great, but sometimes can be irritating.

I was about to send a message while in my car the other day, using the voice recognition system. The car is Japanese, the language English, the author of the language - me -French. So my "thank you" message was turned into ... guess what ... "F...k you"! At least the system asks for a confirmation before sending the message. A embarassing situation was narrowly averted :)

Hubert

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
43 minutes ago, HubertB said:

This new technology is great, but sometimes can be irritating.

I was about to send a message while in my car the other day, using the voice recognition system. The car is Japanese, the language English, the author of the language - me -French. So my "thank you" message was turned into ... guess what ... "F...k you"! At least the system asks for a confirmation before sending the message. A embarassing situation was narrowly averted :)

Hubert

Yeah I know, it’s insane. I do slot of dictation into script while I’m driving.  I go back and reread everything at least three times before I send a proposal.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ernie

Your progress is amazing, always moving forward and your detail work keeps bringing the Helldiver up to a new level. 

I was completely blown away by the Resin2 Detail FastFix Wright CYCLONE R2600, looks spectacular and 3D printed with the ignition lines already on ... now that's simply brilliant. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Your progress is amazing, always moving forward and your detail work keeps bringing the Helldiver up to a new level. 

I was completely blown away by the Resin2 Detail FastFix Wright CYCLONE R2600, looks spectacular and 3D printed with the ignition lines already on ... now that's simply brilliant. 

 

It’s an awesome piece, Peter.  All I did was paint it, nothing else 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Clunkmeister changed the title to Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Update 09/23/22. Rear Canopy FIX!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...