The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Finished. Well, OK, maybe not.

• Administrators

Yes, my friend, my picture taking ability leaves much to be desired, but I do try to get the point across.   I’m extremely happy with how this kit is coming together so far, with the only real hiccup for me being the utter lack of close up historical reference out there.   Most close up pics seem to be of the CAF bird, which has been crashed and rebuilt from rubble so many times that it rivals a T-6 in its mish mash of parts mixture…

• Like 4

• Administrators

I just started looking ahead to the various rear canopy fixes out there, and it doesn’t appear too bad of a fix, IF you feel comfortable cutting clear parts, that is.   It’s certainly doable, but some folks may wish to wait for an AM repair.  I’m not one of those..  🤣

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 hours ago, GazzaS said:

OOh, I like that wing structure, too.

The Helldiver as an aircraft doesn’t light the fires of every aviation enthusiast, as let’s face it, it IS a bit awkward and homely looking, but if you are in to WW2 USN carrier borne aircraft, the Helldiver played a HUGE role. The Helldiver sank more tonnage of any other USN aircraft, despite only coming into Service in 1943, half way through the war.  Like it or not, it was a VERY effective weapon for the Navy.  It was quickly retired after the war simply because it’s mission was obsolete. The Navy went away from dive bombing because as methods for precision level bombing became effective, the Helldiver wasn’t needed anymore. 
But when it had a mission, it was damn good at it. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
On 9/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, Bomber_County said:

This is going to be a gem when complete, you have more patience than I………

Thank you my friend!  I love the Ugly Beast, and I’ll give this one everything I have to make it as right as I can. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

The key is the same as any other short run kit: dry fit dry fit dry fit dry fit.  You can make all adjustments as you go, so at the end, it all will fit perfectly. 
Does anyone happen to know the correct order for the formation lights?

9304AD1F-FE15-45EC-A175-419586484EAD.jpeg

6D508DE0-2C46-4F3C-BD3A-1DE7E4E5487A.jpeg

F3A08EB7-40C5-41A1-8B35-6616441109F3.jpeg

1A777952-C73A-4111-8CA6-CA9AA6A8405E.jpeg

E1591647-1281-45E5-B082-4191A205EB42.jpeg

FF0BBBF1-B79E-4586-9FE8-9FD2DB6E7C03.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Hey guys, I’m back.  I’ve been working on this, getting it ready to join the wing bottoms, then I checked the rear canopy and shook my head, thinking about who must have been smoking what when they screwed up the rear canopy..

Then I looked at one of the accessory sets I had never even glanced at before right now.  I’m talking about the eccessory exterior PE set offered by a infinity to enhance the model.  One of HPH’s trademarks is to use sheets of PE to accent panels that stand proud on the real aircraft. They’re not 100% necessary, and they demand absolute care when installing them, being absolutely certain to preform them as much as possible to the model’s curves.  HPH has given us a set like this for the Helldiver, in the form of an accessory PE set available separately. It’s not 100% necessary, but it adds to the 3D effect of the surface, and also helps hide seams. It also includes full wheel covers for those people modeling an aircraft with covered wheel spokes.
I will use select parts from the set to enhance my kit. This is a nice touch I’ve always liked about HPH, and it’ll certainly add greatly to the model.  The formed copper sheet is extremely thin and looks great on the surface. I spent 30 seconds rolling this one on a knife handle, and with a bit more fitting, will fit flawlessly. 

A63E583D-E518-47F1-A43E-1AC13012BBCA.jpeg

669C35F3-4847-4C18-B99D-3A8D86ED6357.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Clunkmeister changed the title to Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Update 09/20/22. Jumping all around the thing.
  • Administrators
8 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

That brass sheet idea is great.  Alu foil with microscale glue would do the same except it would accentuate and flaws.  Nice progress, Ern.  You're getting some real work done.  

Gaz, despite everyone’s cautions and warnings, I’m so far really enjoying this build.  But, I’m not done, not even close. Just proceeding cautiously, finding issues before they find me. 

I’m still unsure what I’ll do about that rear greenhouse. 

• Like 5

Ernie

Awesome progress and the green zinc chromate looks so good on the lower wing interior - 'pops' all the details and allows us to see and appreciate all the work.

Not sure if I missed the question on what adhesive to use to attach the PE panels and details - these days I use mainly either Micro Kristal Klear or Ammo by Mig Ultra Glues for almost all my PE work - work great and a good deal of working time. BTW, I'm in full agreement - the exterior PE panels and details do make a big difference.

Rear canopy - fit issues? Why am I not surprised.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Awesome progress and the green zinc chromate looks so good on the lower wing interior - 'pops' all the details and allows us to see and appreciate all the work.

Not sure if I missed the question on what adhesive to use to attach the PE panels and details - these days I use mainly either Micro Kristal Klear or Ammo by Mig Ultra Glues for almost all my PE work - work great and a good deal of working time. BTW, I'm in full agreement - the exterior PE panels and details do make a big difference.

Rear canopy - fit issues? Why am I not surprised.  

Worse than that, Peter. It’s actually too high, by a few mm …

Hubert

• Like 4

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Hubert

Another build that easily can be eligible for the "Black Cloud" build group. Ernie sure has his work cut out for himself and as soon as he solves one issue, it seems another that has been waiting in the wings pops up.

Yes, the rear hood is waaay too deep, by, like Hubert said, several mm.  The bottom row od windows are too deep, and from what I can see, HPH molded a part of the fuselage that is supposed to be solid and part of the side, as part of the sliding hood. .  So the proper fix would be to slightly deepen the fuselage and shorten the hood, although the hood is much worse than the fuselage, and cutting and shortening the hood will get the job done. If you fit the rails on the fuselage to the guides on the rear hood, the top of the hood sits about 5 mm above the fuselage,… a very curious look indeed. 

Plus, I have a nice, prominent diagonal scratch across one entire side of the hood. Not manufacturer error, storage error by me. I’ll try to buff it and Future if, but I may need to buy a new transparency sprue from HPH.

• Like 2

Ernie

Surely sounds as if a lot of work will be needed to correct the rear hood. Just seems every step involves a good deal of thought, engineering and work to accomplish the correction. My hat is off to you continuously forging ahead and winning each battle. Awesome work.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 10:37 PM, Clunkmeister said:

The key is the same as any other short run kit: dry fit dry fit dry fit dry fit.  You can make all adjustments as you go, so at the end, it all will fit perfectly. 
Does anyone happen to know the correct order for the formation lights?

9304AD1F-FE15-45EC-A175-419586484EAD.jpeg

6D508DE0-2C46-4F3C-BD3A-1DE7E4E5487A.jpeg

F3A08EB7-40C5-41A1-8B35-6616441109F3.jpeg

1A777952-C73A-4111-8CA6-CA9AA6A8405E.jpeg

E1591647-1281-45E5-B082-4191A205EB42.jpeg

FF0BBBF1-B79E-4586-9FE8-9FD2DB6E7C03.jpeg

From front, red, green, orange/yellow. They are ID lights. (I assume you are referring to the 3 underwing lights.)

• Like 3