Jump to content

Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Update 09/23/22. Rear Canopy FIX!


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
On 9/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, ScottsGT said:

Looks like it’s time to section the bottom of that canopy.  Oh boy.   Figure this out so I don’t have to when I build mine. 

Yes Scott, that is my thought as well, OR, let’s see what the actual problem is, and see if we can find us a workaround.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I’ve been doing some looking, measuring, and checking, and I’ve come to the conclusion that Infinity has simply blown it in regards to the rear canopy dimensions.  
So, then I say to myself: “Self, you were halfway through an HPH resin Helldiver build when you stopped and took a break.  So why not have a quick look at the master kit used as a pattern for the IM Infinity release and see how they compare?”  Brilliant, right?  Yep….

Here is my comparison between the rear hoods of the two kits. As you can see, the Infinity part has had growth spurts in comparison to the parent HPH canopy. 
This is very interesting, and to me, it’s a simple blown assignment. They’re not even close, actually. 

BEF617C4-0E0B-490B-B56B-18CEA5D82DAF.jpeg

958D13F2-5945-4560-98A6-0C32EF232D59.jpeg

443D38F9-B2C8-4F9E-B934-937C871E92E1.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Now let’s look at them on the model.   The Infinity part is grossly oversized, while the HPH part is a PERFECT DROP FIT on the Infinity kit. And the fuselage dimensions are identical between the two models, BTW. 
My job here is not to criticize and complain, instead it is to find the reason and point out the issue along with potential workarounds and/or fixes. 

2222EC14-C86D-408B-B087-789B97FB81CD.jpeg

186613DF-B2A9-444A-BF7A-535FBDEE7E0A.jpeg

C39C5FB6-0385-48AF-837E-9A236B4C5B8C.jpeg

96E1EB84-CA11-4C5D-BA0E-D3310A14AFE9.jpeg

F3875E8C-E91B-4043-943C-AA7F3203AE22.jpeg

03B4F585-F616-43E8-B897-43920FC1ECFF.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Now, JohnB mentioned the front windscreen being too deep, and it required a few minutes with a sanding stick.  Here’s the resin HPH part, and wouldn’t you know it, it’s a drop fit as well!  Not as big a deal, as the kit part is quite easily worked to make it fit like HPH part. 

2CD83523-5548-4B09-B227-0B2D1A14E31E.jpeg

3036BDD7-0B10-48C6-ABF1-C51EF3092FEB.jpeg

568DE840-105D-406B-B076-D3ADD3FAC630.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

So, you now have two choices: creative customizing on the kit part through sectioning the canopy at the rails, and narrowing the window dimensions, OR, contacting HPH and asking to order their resin clear set for the resin Helldiver.

Or, if not doing that, buy and build the complete resin Helldiver kit. It already comes with all your optional items for the IM kit, with the exception of the folding wing option. 
Either way you do this, I feel HPH should offer the canopy fix parts to Infinity kit owners and builders.

This little tidbit SOLVES one of the glaring weaknesses of the Infinity kit. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Clunkmeister changed the title to Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Update 09/23/22. Rear Canopy FIX!
6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Or, if not doing that, buy and build the complete resin Helldiver kit. It already comes with all your optional items for the IM kit, with the exception of the folding wing option. 
Either way you do this, I feel HPH should offer the canopy fix parts to Infinity kit owners and builders.

Exactly Ernie, with all these issues, the resin kit seems to be the better and I guess cheaper Helldiver kit. 
Maybe HPH made a mistake boxing clear parts for a planned 1/24 version of the Helldiver :D, spoiler alert.

Cheers Rob 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Peter, I have no idea how it made it past the QC guys in the packing process, but at least there is a quick and easy fix for those who don’t want to start hacking on clear plastic. The resin parts are beautifully cast and with a dip into the Future, will be amazing. 
I’m surprised nobody in the modeling world has mentioned this yet. 🤬 There have been several dozen of these built, and it’ll fix the problem. 

The Infinity Vampire is a great looking kit. I watch one being built by a good friend, and he’s turning out a masterpiece. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ernie

Same here that your issues with the rear canopy were the first I heard about it. Infinity should just send out replacement canopies to any buyer that request one - after all it's their gross error. 

Would love to see a few photographs the Vampire.    

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
19 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Same here that your issues with the rear canopy were the first I heard about it. Infinity should just send out replacement canopies to any buyer that request one - after all it's their gross error. 

Would love to see a few photographs the Vampire.    

 

Smitty’s building one now and he’s not really one for WIPs. With his permission I’ll post a pic or two, but it’s not my place to just do it. 
He was at Reno this year and like anyone who was there, is pretty shook up over the L29 crash in the Gold finals.  That was by far the fastest crew this year and they were poised to take all the marbles. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
29 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Same here that your issues with the rear canopy were the first I heard about it. Infinity should just send out replacement canopies to any buyer that request one - after all it's their gross error. 

Would love to see a few photographs the Vampire.    

 

Yeah it’s odd. Not a peep on LSP, ARC, Britmodeler, nothing. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
7 hours ago, HubertB said:

This is what Huub van Dijk did on his build thread on LSP:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/90362-infinity-132-sb2c-4-helldiver/page/2/
 

Smart move and convincing result.

Hubert

Yeah that looks GREAT. There is a 3D printed exhaust available now which will make the exhaust problem easily repairable but the canopy will take some skill

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
11 hours ago, HubertB said:

This is what Huub van Dijk did on his build thread on LSP:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/90362-infinity-132-sb2c-4-helldiver/page/2/
 

Smart move and convincing result.

Hubert

Yes, I am looking at the same potential fix with mine. The resin piece is very close and it will serve as a good pattern. I WILL finish my resin build when this is done, so I can see the differences side to side

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 11:35 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Now let’s look at them on the model.   The Infinity part is grossly oversized, while the HPH part is a PERFECT DROP FIT on the Infinity kit. And the fuselage dimensions are identical between the two models, BTW. 
My job here is not to criticize and complain, instead it is to find the reason and point out the issue along with potential workarounds and/or fixes. 

2222EC14-C86D-408B-B087-789B97FB81CD.jpeg

186613DF-B2A9-444A-BF7A-535FBDEE7E0A.jpeg

C39C5FB6-0385-48AF-837E-9A236B4C5B8C.jpeg

96E1EB84-CA11-4C5D-BA0E-D3310A14AFE9.jpeg

F3875E8C-E91B-4043-943C-AA7F3203AE22.jpeg

03B4F585-F616-43E8-B897-43920FC1ECFF.jpeg

I don't know how I missed it on my build but I sure did. I think I might go back and remove the rear canopy and do a little "adjusting". I'll have to take a close look first as I don't want to ruin anything. 🤪

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...