Jump to content

Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver.


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

After watching John’s masterpiece come together, and with our Ukraine GB in its final days,  I figured I would start this as John did, but using the superb Resin2Detail 3D printed upgrades as well as Infinity’s add on kits.

So we’ll use:

1. Resin2Detail super detailed cockpit

2. Resin2Detail exhaust stubs

3. Resin2Detail wheels

4. Resin2Detail quick fix Wright R2600

5. Infinity Models open rear gunner position

6. Infinity Models open bomb bay

7. Infinity Models Positionable control surfaces

8. Infinity Models PE flap set

9. AirScale 1/32 USN WW2 instruments and placards

10. G Factor landing gear legs 

Not much has happened yet, although I’ve started painting some cockpit stuff

5487388D-4223-4719-A0E5-B358A739D3A4.jpeg

FF7A580E-E4CF-4C1B-8B96-2F288BC9365E.jpeg

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ernie

Holy Smokes, another Infinity Helldiver on the bench and underway. That's some list of upgrades and going to be a gem of a build to follow and enjoy. Nice start on the front office sidewalls and the engine.

I'll be front and center for the journey :popcorn:

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
33 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Like buses, nothing for years and then two come along, looking forward to this and all of the AM……flaps / dive brakes ?

Haha yup. I’m feeling the need to break out the soldering iron, flux, and clothespins to do a bit of soldering. Gonna be fun. Not 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice start Ernie, you have a fine selection of AM for this one,  after John's epic build I pulled my part completed build out and had a look at getting the Infinity bomb bay fitted...... Hmm interesting stuff so will wait and follow your build as a guide at the moment but itooks tricky with a  false lower floor needed to be fitted from plastic card to tidy everything up as I'm sure you will see. Looking forward to you progress on this one.

Regards. Andy 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
8 hours ago, Kev Morley said:

Looking good Ernie, Ive heard these kits need abit of work putting in to get them together, but ive seen some mighty fine builds produced from them. How ya finding it?

By gum Kev, it’s great to hear from ya!  Good to see some familiar names and faces again!  I blew my back out a couple months back, so I’m moving a bit slower as the quacks work on me, but I’m getting there. I had to cancel my trip to the US Nats this year because of this, but on the flip side, I’m getting much more bench time now 🤣

As tempted as I am to jump into the Bordernuts Lanc, I’m intent on a few less spectacular builds first:  Infinity Helldiver, HPH DC-3, Fisher Guppy conversion, and a Wingnuts D.Vll.

I built a 32nd Lanc already so I’m not as so inclined as others may be right now.    
Our “All of Ukraine” group build will be a wrap in a bit, and we’ve had some decent enough participation, so just maybe we’ll look at something else in a bit. (Open to suggestions) 

Also, I do hold you personally responsible for the three teeth on my lower jaw that got knocked out after I viewed your build. Dentists ain’t cheap, and being I didn’t want to look like an NHL hockey player, I had to paaaaaay… 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
6 hours ago, monnthebiff said:

Nice start Ernie, you have a fine selection of AM for this one,  after John's epic build I pulled my part completed build out and had a look at getting the Infinity bomb bay fitted...... Hmm interesting stuff so will wait and follow your build as a guide at the moment but itooks tricky with a  false lower floor needed to be fitted from plastic card to tidy everything up as I'm sure you will see. Looking forward to you progress on this one.

Regards. Andy 

Andy, go ahead, put the pressure on! 😃.  It’s a deceptively simple build, although as John showed, it’ll bite you in the backside if allowed. I’m presently shaping the 3D printed AM cockpit areas to fit without interference, and it’s quite the job:  the kit parts are too wide to start with, and the AM parts are a touch wider as well.  OK, I cheated a little bit and grabbed a second kit, so I can test the basic fit using the kit pit on an unaltered fuselage. Like all resin pits, you gotta sand off all moulded on locators and interior detail. So I can get the dimensions from the second fuselage, sand the kit pit to fit, then transfer those dimensions to the 3D resin, which is OH so brittle 🤬. Ask me how I know. 
There’s a lot of AM to fit in the fuselage, so it’s going to take much trial and error. 
 I certainly wouldn’t put this much effort into many aircraft builds, but the Helldiver is one of my favorites, so it’ll get the full meal deal from me right to completion.  Or until I booger it up, whichever comes first. 
Oh how I love Airscale stuff. Their gauges and placards are absolute works of art.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the list of AM you're throwing at this kit, there's not going to be much left. I think maybe the canopy, prop and some flash around the MLG openings. :lol:

Seriously, you're making some nice headway on the cockpit. And not a bad plan to use a second kit for measurements.

Sorry to hear about your back. I threw mine out last year swapping the winter tires on the car. I was stuck in the garage for 15 minutes doubled over in agony before a neighbour saw me and got Sue. Getting old sucks. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

From the list of AM you're throwing at this kit, there's not going to be much left. I think maybe the canopy, prop and some flash around the MLG openings. :lol:

Seriously, you're making some nice headway on the cockpit. And not a bad plan to use a second kit for measurements.

Sorry to hear about your back. I threw mine out last year swapping the winter tires on the car. I was stuck in the garage for 15 minutes doubled over in agony before a neighbour saw me and got Sue. Getting old sucks. 

Ha! You’re about right, Carl.  Probably some of my skin and other DNA assuming I CA my fingers somewhere on the inside. 
If a second kit is available and cheaply enough, I like the idea of doing that, simply because my memory usually goes kaput 10 seconds after I put the Dremel down.  Besides, I’ll be doing a second model, with the wings folded and tail gun stowed. 
My back’s getting better, it’s just not 100% yet.  Soon, hopefully. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good so far, Ernie. That's a massive amount of AM you're throwing at this kit. I feel for you with the back; I've been dealing with spinal stenosis for a couple of years now. Surgery is my only option, and it scares the hell out of me (pass the oxycodone, please). I hope you feel better soon.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys what’s going on, one did my back once when I foolishly thought I could go and play rugby again when I was 30……didn’t even make the next training session……..hope your collective backs get better soon…..

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ernie will fly through this with ease. He just looked at it and the pit is already done and looks fantastic. Time to start cutting plastic, do some oil canning etc... :)  Get better my friend, back problems are such a cruel reminder of our foolish youth. omega.jpeg.d72f16fd9ae3443edabfffb764646496.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Ernie in his natural habitat :)

4545h.jpg?itok=uvyqd8Lr

Methink Ernie will struggle to fit this under the hood of the good ol’ Fairlane 

Just my :2c:

Hubert

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Methink Ernie will struggle to fit this under the hood of the good ol’ Fairlane 

Just my :2c:

Hubert

But it might just fit the pickup he bought. 

Well, in the bed anyways. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
12 hours ago, HubertB said:

Methink Ernie will struggle to fit this under the hood of the good ol’ Fairlane 

Just my :2c:

Hubert

Well, someone DID manage to (barely) shoehorn a Merlin into a 1955 Chevrolet. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
13 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Ernie will fly through this with ease. He just looked at it and the pit is already done and looks fantastic. Time to start cutting plastic, do some oil canning etc... :)  Get better my friend, back problems are such a cruel reminder of our foolish youth. omega.jpeg.d72f16fd9ae3443edabfffb764646496.jpeg

Funny how history gets lost by the feelings of people.  The Helldiver was NOT a popular aircraft with its crews. It needed another 5 feet of rear fuselage that the Navy refused to allow, making it moderately unstable and a bit of a handful to fly.

BUT, there is no mistaking it’s success: the Helldiver sank more tonnage than any other Allied aircraft in WW2, and that includes TBMs, SBDs, PBJs, PBYs, Swordfish, etc.  The SB2C was a very effective weapon against its foes, and was also used to great effect in several wars right up into the 1950s.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Back playing around with this.  Taking it slow and easy, one problem at a time. With all these extra bits and pieces, it’s almost like a resin build.

The 3D pit has been sanded and massaged and tacked in place to check fit. So far, this actually holds a lot of promise. The floor and seat are simply sitting there unsecured.  Had to spray a bit of green to fix some sanded areas, so some details need repainting, like the headrest….

DFD246AE-4196-4DC9-B18C-734B0540CD2C.jpeg

B2BD6B5F-E976-44F0-BC44-CC2D0DAFED31.jpeg

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Back playing around with this.  Taking it slow and easy, one problem at a time. With all these extra bits and pieces, it’s almost like a resin build.

The 3D pit has been sanded and massaged and tacked in place to check fit. So far, this actually holds a lot of promise. The floor and seat are simply sitting there unsecured.  Had to spray a bit of green to fix some sanded areas, so some details need repainting, like the headrest….

DFD246AE-4196-4DC9-B18C-734B0540CD2C.jpeg

B2BD6B5F-E976-44F0-BC44-CC2D0DAFED31.jpeg

 

Looks good so far Ernie. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
49 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Looks good so far Ernie. :)

It’s. Stubborn son of a gun, no doubt. But the Fuselage basic fit is decent enough, and and careful trial and error  fitting should get you there. 
I’m more concerned about the too deep lower row of windows on the sliding gunner’s greenhouse. Some creative changes will be needed,

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...