Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver.

Ernie, I LOVE what you did with the seat belts, such a refreshing change from the perfectly crossed ( airline passenger style ) lap belts that EVERYONE does, I have seen a lot of operational aircraft and have never seen lap belts always so neatly crossed on the seats, your rendition is much, much more realistic... they look spot on !

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ernie, I LOVE what you did with the seat belts, such a refreshing change from the perfectly crossed ( airline passenger style ) lap belts that EVERYONE does, I have seen a lot of operational aircraft and have never seen lap belts always so neatly crossed on the seats, your rendition is much, much more realistic... they look spot on !

100% agree, Jeff, and thanks!  I try to achieve the haphazard look on every build, but it’s not always successful.

However, I can’t take credit on this one because the seat is the Resin2Detail seat with the belts already molded in place. 

• Like 4

when is Ernie talking about 'creative changes', I hear noises of some undisclosed, heavy machinery and see tons of saw dust and barrels of putty in our near future. Looking good my friend :thumbsup2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

On and upward.   Plenty of fitting, sanding, and lots more fitting.  This fuselage is cut almost into pieces. 
But, we slowly make progress. The only thing secured in place are the cockpit sidewalls and the cockpit bulkhead. One piece at a time, we hopefully will get there, without goobering up the entire thing. 
And then, thank you Airscale for your amazing 1/32 WW2 Navy and Marines instrument decals. 
Some placards should liven it right up….

718BCA1B-2C86-4767-BE2D-5504D05FFFF1.jpeg

AAE4CD2C-F983-48D4-89A5-782C130A9C23.jpeg

DA205B7F-8815-4D53-A41C-A938FEBB5BA8.jpeg

8024904E-6B62-42CD-BB07-47D7DFCEF8D4.jpeg

7E8167C5-BD3C-4D00-BFD4-70EB6BC03CA6.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators

The fit of some of the parts in quite, ummmm,… vague.  Add to that the the butchery of the fuselage, and there is a fair bit of creative scratchbuilding needed here. 
The fit of this bulkhead is, what I like to call a “good humor suggestion”.  As in I find myself glancing around to see if Im on Candid Camera. 
So I think it will be easier and quicker to simply make a new bulkhead out of card stock and go from there. 
Not that I’m surprised. This IS a SHORT RUN kit, and it is advertised as such. I’m convinced an absolutely stunning Helldiver can be created here, but it’s going to be a bit of work.  This is the kind of kit I truly enjoy.  I actually get bored with the almost snap title Tamiya kits, as my one and only Corsair can testify. It still sits, forlornly waiting for my love. I really should finish it, as the hood stuff is waiting; the finishing. 

84EC9D72-6649-4AE3-AB23-69A1FA849383.jpeg

D07CDE16-18E0-4B5E-BD2B-4CF4C194201B.jpeg

39E1208C-6445-4926-AB7F-1800675816A9.jpeg

• Like 6

Ernie

Nice progress on the Helldiver as the front office is looking so good. Scratching out a new bulkhead does look like the best option as the kit suppled version seems too small all the way around.

Yup, with your Corsair this far along, would be great to see her finished and cross the finish line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Some impressive work there Ernie. 

The paint on the Corsair is different too. Is it one of those half and half rebuilds that occasionally showed like Little Miss Mischief?

The Corsair is destined to be a very early Bitdcage with badly beat paint. It will still have the earlier blue and grey scheme, two color, not three. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

This is getting worse and worse.  The more I get into it, the more the razor saw gets used.
What could possibly go wrong?

I sure hope I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again.  NOTHING here is by the book, and I think that when I’m done, only 2/3 of the thing will be original Infinity plastic. Needless to say, I’m only wee bit concerned.  But tomorrow we do a couple washes over the nice, shiny Future, then start slapping it all together with baited breath 

4F4F5E79-4005-4659-A91A-2FC8C13CE0E3.jpeg

510D589B-4B7A-4B48-A60D-6E9EFD37460B.jpeg

56687852-05EA-46FE-ACFA-608FA113FA11.jpeg

678242E4-1A8B-467F-9D10-F9758073E0BA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great work on the Helldiver Ernie. A friend of mine built it too and made the same experience like you: bad fit and lots of rework necessary. 
Maybe you set it aside for a day and continue with the Corsair? 

I thought about it, but I can’t. Mostly because I’ll forget where everything goes!  
It’s fresh in my mind and we continue on. Maybe once the airframe is back together all in one piece, we might take a break before paint. 

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 2:02 PM, Clunkmeister said:

I actually get bored with the almost snap title Tamiya kits, *snip*

And you bought how many Wingnuts kits?

Love your work Ern.   The office looks great!

• Haha 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, monnthebiff said:

Nice progress and pleased to see you are feeling my pain with this build. A complete shocker of a kit indeed and the easiest thing to do is make a new rear bulkhead from plastic card or easier still put the whole thing in the bin lol

Regards. Andy 

Oh it’s a pain, no doubt, Andy. Matter of fact it’s a Royal pain.

But,.. it’s pretty much what I expected, quite honestly. I looked at yours a d John’s builds before I jumped in, more concerned with how far I wanted to chop the thing up for modifications. 
I knew it was a short run kit, so I was expecting the fit to be “vague”, and if I was doing a buttoned up airplane, the surprises would have been negligible, but I seem to live for making my life interesting, so away we went with the razor saw.

The kit is plagued with the bugaboo of all short run kits: vague instructions, and small interior parts that could fit in 40 different spots, with the correct location actually being your last choice because that’s where fit is worst. 😬
But, it’ll get done, and I expect it’ll look awesome once finished. 
I opted for the open bomb bay, so now I’m cutting spars and fitting them in the wings even before I finish the fuselage. It all keys together right there below the cockpit floor. Fun. 
Im starting to think the resin kit might actually be an easier build than the IM version.

• Like 2