The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter F4U-4 from SOD

I had started on this build several years ago but, due to frustration, etc, I sent it to the SOD. It's not one of their better kits and requires a fair amount of "adjusting". I have a Grand Phoenix cockpit set that I had been working on when I put it all on the SOD. I've disassembled what I had done previously and re-painted everything with a new application of Interior Green. I'm hoping I can overcome the marginal stuff and make it into a decent model. Something to keep me busy while waiting for the SBD decals to show up! LOL :)

8-3-22 001.jpg

• Like 5

John

Nothing like a Trumpeter Corsair with all the movable parts and 'some fit' issues from the SOD, to get the juices flowing. Nice start on cleaning up the interior and a fresh coat of interior green. Looks like a new kit underway on your bench at this stage and my money is riding on you to finish her up in grand style as she rolls out across the line.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nothing like a Trumpeter Corsair with all the movable parts and 'some fit' issues from the SOD, to get the juices flowing. Nice start on cleaning up the interior and a fresh coat of interior green. Looks like a new kit underway on your bench at this stage and my money is riding on you to finish her up in grand style as she rolls out across the line.  

Thank you Peter. It has been sitting on the SOD for several years and I feel that now is a good time to re-visit the build since I'm idle on the SBD. If I can get past all the gimmicky mickey mouserie stuff MAYBE it can be a decent looking model. If not, nothing lost, so I'll fiddle with it and see how it goes. Somewhere along the line I lost the canopy parts and the prop. I picked up a replacement canopy on ebay but will have to look into a replacement prop later on. :) I could get one on ebay too but, since it's a kit prop, it's inaccurate. 🙄

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

John, the HS prop can be provided by Hasegawa P-47 kit. Glad to see you back with this one. The kit is a dog, but the only game in town Will follow with interest 

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for the tip Martin. I'll steal one from one of my Hasegawa P-47's and worry about a replacement later! LOL Yes, it is a dog with all the toy-like stuff but I hope to be able to make something out of it. Fingers crossed. :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spitfire said:

I've got one of those in the stash, so will follow with interest.

Cheers

Dennis

We'll see how it goes Dennis. I'd like to complete it but if it gets to be too big of a PITA it'll go back on the SOD. :)

• Like 1

Hi John,

This will most likely turn out to be yet another marvellous model by you.

Somehow I get the feeling you are not enjoying the experience if the subject kit is not Tamiya.

But that is what modelling is all about. Personally I find it tiring to read and mostly I look

at the pics of a beautiful model progressing at terrifying speed and skip the text.

Pity really.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

John, irrespective if it’s finished this time or next, it’s still going to be stunning……..presumably this was pre Tamiya Corsair’s we’re available……

If I remember correctly Phil it was pre-Tamiya Corsairs. I also built (and finished!!!) one of their F4U-1D kits which was pre-Tamiya. It turned out pretty well but the wings are really delicate due to the toy-like folding setup. I chose to keep 'em spread. :) Here's a couple of pics just for grins.

3.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wingco57 said:

Hi John,

This will most likely turn out to be yet another marvellous model by you.

Somehow I get the feeling you are not enjoying the experience if the subject kit is not Tamiya.

But that is what modelling is all about. Personally I find it tiring to read and mostly I look

at the pics of a beautiful model progressing at terrifying speed and skip the text.

Pity really.

Cheers

Cees

LOL Cees. It's true I do enjoy building Tamiya kits, especially their Corsairs. If I DO manage to get this one finished just watch, Tamiya will announce a -4 kit!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, JohnB said:

If I remember correctly Phil it was pre-Tamiya Corsairs. I also built (and finished!!!) one of their F4U-1D kits which was pre-Tamiya. It turned out pretty well but the wings are really delicate due to the toy-like folding setup. I chose to keep 'em spread. :) Here's a couple of pics just for grins.

3.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

This one is definitely a stunner and deserves some more (outdoors perhaps) pictures for the gallery. Seriously a Great job on Trumpeter's kit. :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

This one is definitely a stunner and deserves some more (outdoors perhaps) pictures for the gallery. Seriously a Great job on Trumpeter's kit. :thumbsup2:

I'm glad you like it Martin :) Couple more pics then.

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

John

Come to think of it, when was the last time Tamiya actually released a new 32nd scale kit? it's been a good while and I don't seem to remember. Most of their aircraft efforts have been in 48th scale - nope, not complaining as I have purchased most and built quite a few.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Come to think of it, when was the last time Tamiya actually released a new 32nd scale kit? it's been a good while and I don't seem to remember. Most of their aircraft efforts have been in 48th scale - nope, not complaining as I have purchased most and built quite a few.

Yes, it's been a while unfortunately. I've been hoping for some new 1/32 a/c kits from them but, so far, nothing. I think they'd do well with a P-51B/C and a F4U-4 to continue along the lines of their previous releases.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Just thinking John, have you ever done a Tamiya Mossie……….if not I reckon you’d enjoy it…….

Yes I have Phil. Nice kit and makes a beautiful model.:)

12-11-20 2 001.jpg

12-11-20 008.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2