The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Chikuma - Tamiya - 1/350 - IJN Heavy Cruiser-Finished

KevinM

Still hammering on this one a little at a time the planes are just about done still have like 4 or 5 boats left.The hold downs for the spare a/c part and the launches is tissue paper thinking it gives the ship some life.;)

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Brilliant work and I only wish I had the talent and patience to build a ship

It does take a little more patience but in turn  I do not have the patience that some guys put into a/c to only close it up at least here you see the fruits of your reward.;)

• Like 2

I am just about finished with the railing with the SS L/side being the last little bit.The chain up front needs some glue ,deck R/side under storage rack more paint glue mark and then on too the rigging.I added a target to the R/side of the funnel not real wild about the strapping  "is what it is";)

chikuma 001.JPG

chikuma 002.JPG

chikuma 003.JPG

chikuma 004.JPG

373639662_chikuma005.JPG

chikuma 006.JPG

• Like 7

These Japanese ships do have some beauty and you nailed them Kevin. All the extra detail pays in the detail pics. Painting and weathering looks all convincing, great job. I've also to build my first WWII ship. I have some in stash and I think the USS Arizona will be first, with a wooden deck, lots of PE and figures.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:30 AM, Peterpools said:

Kev

Right with Gaz ... amazing work.

Thks Peter cut a line by accident the other night have not gone back upper back/neck is punishing me along with frigg'in insurance company being jackasses made me start from the beginning again on my treatments.:brickwall:

• Like 1

Yeah Peter so the case it's I just got to a once a year treatment now I have to go back to blocks which are not that effective for me anymore before the a nerve burn.This occurred unbeknownst to me while a full burn was available across the upper back I chose 1/2 now I want a whole so start over.:brickwall:

Very nice work Kevin. With such fine and numerous lines, all the more so in the wway of ANY handling, the only way out for me would be Ultra fine EZ-line. No strcutural strenght (but you do not need it) and a very useful elasticity to be properly tensioned AND resist the occasional stray finger ...

Hubert

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

Ultra fine EZ-line. No strcutural strenght (but you do not need it) and a very useful elasticity to be properly tensioned AND resist the occasional stray finger ...

Hubert

That's the stuff I am using Hubert I got about six lines strung last night got one to go on the l/side of the ship.;)

• Like 3

So,this is were I am at the rigging is completed I tried quite a few times to get a sagging line that is not hard getting two next to each other do the same thing.I finally in the end went a taut line though one or two are to taut that area out front of the SS was a little of a PIA till I just backed off an maybe try Mike's idea about some sprue for curved line on Mogami.I knocked off some planes that need to be reattached and the decals for the stern with some touchups in paint.I have done better rigging but they were on smaller ships but it seems the Graf Spee came out quite Nice.;)

chikuma 002.JPG

chikuma 003.JPG

chikuma 004.JPG

chikuma 006.JPG

chikuma 007.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1