The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

So, you finally got one of your grail kits that just came out…..

ScottsGT

Have you built it?  If it wasn’t a bench clearing kit, how long did it sit in the stash?

I remember years ago I always wanted someone to produce a T-6 Texan in 1/32.  They did.  I bought it. I even bought a second kit after KH closed up shop because I knew I wanted to build two.   And today I started building it.  
Mind blown when I read “Kitty Hawk 2013” molded in the inside of the fuselage.  Where did time go?  

My “Must build grail kits” I’ve bought:

T-6 Texan.  Just hit the bench

A-7 D & E. Bought both, two Zacto corrections.  E model is built. 

A6-A Intruder.  Still in the stash. 
B-25 and B-17  Bought two kits of each. Still in the stash
F-16 Thunderbird. Still in the stash. 
Forgot the Stearman biplanes.  Got two, in the stash. 
OK, enough yabbering and back to the Texan.  (Hey, gotta do something while the paint dries.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

My first holy grail kit when I was a teenager was a good A-10 kit. Monogram delivered with the then new tool 1/48 kit back in the '80's. Started it the minute i got home with it. Built about 8 of them in the next few years after that. Then Trumpeter did the 1/32 A-10, same thing started it the day I got home in the early '00s done a few of those too. 1/32 lancaster? Started the HK kit about a month after bringing that one home too...

Other grail kits i started within weeks of buying one when they first arrive on scene:

1/32 trumpeter mig-29 new tool (built 3 so far)

1/48 GWH flanker family (on my 4th one right now)

1/32 trumpeter su-27 (completed 2 so far one one the SOD)

1/32 tamiya corsair and mustang. (7 corsairs 5 mustangs)

1/32 revell he-111 (done 2 P's one H so far)

1/32 tamiya f-15's.(4 E's and 4 C's)

1/32 hasegawa fw-190a and d series new tool (done about 16 of them over the years)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I never really had a holy grail kit.  When I was a kid, I wanted to build at least one of every panzer made.  I have most of them in my stash.  Only a few left on a very short list.  But do I have time?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Dude said:

My first holy grail kit when I was a teenager was a good A-10 kit. Monogram delivered with the then new tool 1/48 kit back in the '80's. Started it the minute i got home with it. Built about 8 of them in the next few years after that. Then Trumpeter did the 1/32 A-10, same thing started it the day I got home in the early '00s done a few of those too. 1/32 lancaster? Started the HK kit about a month after bringing that one home too...

Other grail kits i started within weeks of buying one when they first arrive on scene:

1/32 trumpeter mig-29 new tool (built 3 so far)

1/48 GWH flanker family (on my 4th one right now)

1/32 trumpeter su-27 (completed 2 so far one one the SOD)

1/32 tamiya corsair and mustang. (7 corsairs 5 mustangs)

1/32 revell he-111 (done 2 P's one H so far)

1/32 tamiya f-15's.(4 E's and 4 C's)

1/32 hasegawa fw-190a and d series new tool (done about 16 of them over the years)

That Revell/Monogram A-10 kit, is that the Jill Long version they did of her plane?  She was my neighbor for a short while and I have the box top autographed by her and framed.   She had some interesting war stories to tell over dinner.  

• Like 2

My Holy grail kits since finding modeling back in the early seventies: Revell's 1/32 Spitfire MK1a and 1/32 Hurricane Mk1a, both are in the stash and will be building them someday. Many years ago, I saw them built up as a lightly weathered pair on display at the retail Squadron Shop in Syosset, NY and that helped set the hook for modeling again.

• Like 1

I have to say that my holiest of all were actually done by Fisher, and Lukgraph, and luckily I got most of them. Then there was the DC-3 on my Holy Quest list, thank you HPH.

So, missing in my Quest are still two I hope to see before my modelling days are over : a Ford Trimotor, and a B-58 …

Hubert

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

That Revell/Monogram A-10 kit, is that the Jill Long version they did of her plane?  She was my neighbor for a short while and I have the box top autographed by her and framed.   She had some interesting war stories to tell over dinner.  

It was probably the same kit just an earlier iteration of it. The box art was euro 1 scheme with Barksdale hog face markings.

this one...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-5505-a-10-thunderbolt-ii--133144

• Like 1

• Administrators

My Holy Grail kit is on my bench right now:  the SB2C Helldiver.  For years we’ve had just about every WW2 USN aircraft offered in 1/32 in some form or another, but no Helldiver.   And now, thanks to HPH, I’m building my dream.

Another Grail kit turned out to be a colossal bust:  the B-24 Liberator.  Hobby Boss completely borked that one and there it sits, waiting..

I built another Grail kit two years ago: the 1/32 PZL P.11c. Don’t ask me why, but I’ve always loved that little Polish fighter, and first Silver Wings, then  IBG gave us two amazing kits. 

Now give me a decent large scale C-46 and a CF-100 and I’ll die happy and fulfilled. 

• Like 6

I always wanted a larger scale VF-1 Strike Valkyrie from "Macross: Do you remember Love?". This is a Japanese anime film that came out back in 1984. Most kits available were  in 1/100 or 1/72. There was a very expensive, very rare 1/48 garage kit. Hasegawa started making kits from the series and announced a 1/48 one which I immediately bought but only built this past year. 

Then in 2019, Good Smile Company came out with a 1/20 version! Needless to say, I had to get that one too. It's the biggest kit in my stash.

PXL_20220904_053110825.thumb.jpg.352dcd842b82d85f354e4f1bbb3216e9.jpg

Once I figure out how to light it, that will hit the bench. 

Carl

• Like 5

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Need one of those too. 

Ernie, don't you have a 3D printed one?

Yes I do. Mike printed me a basic form by blowing up the 1/72 3D stuff out there. I’m still plucking away at my Super Universal, and once that’s done, I’ll be visiting the big Hun…

• Like 3

Holy grail kits, oh yes there are some which mean more to me than the others, some built, some on and off the bench and some still in the box.

Built:
1/32 Mir Fokker D.VIII with all the goodies. It was so much fun to build this mediocre base kit into something special with soldering struts, ...
1/144 Nautilus submarine from Pegasus, where I had so much fun, working with a lighting kit and replicating the different non ferrous metals.
1/32 WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.29, where I went all in with weathering and satisfied my desire for replicating different materials, wood, metal, cloth...

On and off:

1/32 Fly Arado 234, simply because it's the most interesting and advanced plane for it's time.
1/64 Duchess of Kingston wooden sailing ship from Vanguard Models. It was so rewarding digging through all the wood, PE and resin.
1/20 Hasegawa Ammoknight, which took me to some of the most interesting paint experiments and needs the figure (s?) to be painted

Shelfies:

1/64 HMS Sphinx from Vanguard Models. The  quality of these kits is simply amazing and it's a post ship, means, I feel like a true captain after the build
1/32 WNW AEG G.IV in night lozenge camo
1/24 Ebbro Citroen DS 21, because it's my favorite car

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Rob, 

I completely forgot the Nautilus was on my list as well.  But the Disney version.  Yea, I got one and it was a bench clearing kit.

hRcrxC.jpg

Its 31” long. Kit is some sort of black resin by Masterpiece Models.  It took a lot of detail reworking to get it there, but I’m very satisfied with the outcome.   The finish started out painting it silver, shading the rivet lines and then applying a true iron paint and then spraying it with a acid that promotes the rust.  Kind of cool watching it rust before your eyes.  
If anyone is interested:

https://masterpiecemodels.com/product/20k-submarine/

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Another Grail kit turned out to be a colossal bust:  the B-24 Liberator.  Hobby Boss completely borked that one and there it sits, waiting..

Yes, such a shame.  I did at least get a set of the nicer turrets for mine.  But that wing, oh that wing…..:wtf:

My plan is to hang it up and hang it high so I don’t have to look at it. 

• Like 3

Grail kits... to me, they change over time. As a kid, I saw the picture of Revell's Snake Stuka on the side of a box, but I could never find one (though I have one now). Then there were the "Lost Three" from Revell: George Tony, and Jack. I managed to grab those, then the Scratchbuilders Rex conversion became the Grail (I built that one). Nowadays, if I see a new release that piques my interest, I grab it - though nothing in recent memory has been elevated to Grail status. The only planes I would pay dearly for are (as Hubert mentioned) a B-58, and a 1/32 SR-71.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Yes, such a shame.  I did at least get a set of the nicer turrets for mine.  But that wing, oh that wing…..:wtf:

My plan is to hang it up and hang it high so I don’t have to look at it. 

I never did get the AM resin turrets.  One of biggest regrets regarding AM for this thing. I’m trying to convince Brian at Resin2Detail to at least take a look and see what he can do with the wing/fuselage join area so it can at least be viewed from above. 
I’m also working on him to take a look at the HKM B-17 nose section.  That should be an easier job than the B-24, with the only caveat being that a new instrument panel and part of the windshield will need to be scratched. 

• Like 4

Man, that would be great.   Just took a quick look at his website.  I like the A-26 wing root correction he did.  Something like this and an inner section of the wing top would fix it right up.  
This would convince me to also get the D model as well. 

• Like 5