The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fisher F9F build

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

If I may suggest to put Tamiya epoxy/resin putty into the gaps and rub it in there with a wet finger. It sends down smoothly and blends to resin perfectly.

Tamiya-Epoxy-Putty-Quick-Type-87051.jpg

Looks to be similar to Miliput. Luckily I have some of that and will give it a try. Thank you! :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

The front office is looking good and you're making some tough progress. Just hang in there and I'm right with martin about the epoxy/resin

Thank you Peter. I'm in the process of filling in the wing/fuselage gaps using thin strip plastic and white putty. I found that my Miliput had dried out. I don't want to kill time waiting for some to be sent. The strips glued in with CA then covered with putty seems to be working okay. The REAL fun part will be having to re-shape the forward wing to blend in with the fuselage. 🤪

9-26-22 004.jpg

• Like 4

One of the benefits of the shape of the Panther, and of Fisher’s kit design : the gaps are placed where they will be « easy » to fill. Great job, and glad this one will keep flying to Toko-Ri, rather than back to the SOD :) …

Hubert

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, HubertB said:

One of the benefits of the shape of the Panther, and of Fisher’s kit design : the gaps are placed where they will be « easy » to fill. Great job, and glad this one will keep flying to Toko-Ri, rather than back to the SOD :) …

Hubert

I agree Hubert. They could have been in worse places for sure. I wanted to model it as Brubaker's a/c in Toko-Ri but they were flying -5's and the kit is a -2 with a different shaped tail unit. If I could find someone with a -5 then I could possibly do his a/c. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JohnB said:

Finally got the gaps filled and sanded. Much better. :)

9-30-22 001.jpg

9-30-22 002.jpg

9-30-22 003.jpg

If anyone here has never built a resin kit like this, just look at the pic closer at the air bubbles that come with casting. It takes a lot of patience to go over a resin kit to correct all these blemishes.  One reason my Cougar was a 4 month build. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

If anyone here has never built a resin kit like this, just look at the pic closer at the air bubbles that come with casting. It takes a lot of patience to go over a resin kit to correct all these blemishes.  One reason my Cougar was a 4 month build. 

I guess I was lucky as there were next to none on my kit, just the big gaps.

• Like 3

Air bubbles are an inevitable by-product of resin, where you mix two viscous components, and, in doing so, you introduce air in the mix.

Two solutions to get rid of the bubbles: pour the resin mix slowly from high up. You get a very thin filet of resin, and a number of bubbles will be eliminated in the process, but unfortunately not all.

Better, and more professional: first get your resin pot in a vacuum tank, to extract the air bubbles. The mix will foam, but most of the air will be thus evacuated. Then, during the curing of the part, get it under pressure in a pressure tank, like a pressure cooker. The remaining small air bubbles will be « pushed » and compressed into the core of the part. That’s probably what Paul was doing ;)

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

You're flying through the Panter and I'm still masking the Whirlwind for at least three days.

Can't wait to see the Cat in navy paint and colors

Me too Peter. I did some test painting to see if any paint would come off when removing masking tape and had poor results. I rubbed it down with Alclad airbrush cleaner (which will remove darn near anything) and sprayed it with Alclad White Primer and Basecoat. I'll let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow. I was afraid there would be a problem with the paint peeling off when removing masking tape and sure enough there was. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. 🙄

• Like 4

John

That's not good. All I do remotely remember about painting the Sea Fury and I most likely used Tamiya acrylic paints over Mig acrylic primer and overly de-tacked the masking tape in those days. 

Good luck and my fingers are crossed 🤞

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

That's not good. All I do remotely remember about painting the Sea was I most likely used Tamiya acrylic paints over Mig acrylic primer and overly de-tacked the masking tape in those days. 

Good luck and my fingers are crossed 🤞

Thanks. Mine are also.:)

• Like 3

My MRP and Mr. Color lacquers both came right off the resin unless I primed it. It was very frustrating.  I also scuffed the surface I could get to with 400 or 600 grit wet or dry using water to help keep the sandpaper clean.  Even small interior details I sprayed top coat on was flaking off days later in some areas unless I primed them.  And yes, I scrubbed everything with Clorox/soap and warm water before I started the project. 

• Like 3

It looks like the problem is solved (fingers crossed) with the wipedown with Alclad airbrush cleaner and the application of Alclad white primer and basecoat. There was no paint peel off on the wing tip tanks. I have my toes crossed too that all will be well with the rest of the model. :) I will know soon as I plan to mask off the silver (CoroGuard) leading edges and apply the GSB. :) Please excuse the crappy photo!

10-2-22 001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1