The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Aftermarket “stash” organization

ScottsGT

How do you keep up with it?  I refuse to box up items with the kits I bought them for, so I’d just pile it all up on a shelf and hope the old gray matter is firing in order when I start said kit.   When we moved last year I shoveled all my AM into a moving box.  I kind of kept some order?  

Few months back I saw a Fisher nose correction for the Connie come up on evilBay.  I bid a high of $75 and said no way I’m spending more.  Woke up the next day and it had sold just shy of $200.   The other day I found one in that moving box. :blink:
 Apparently when I bought the corrected radomes and cowlings, I got one of those as well.  

I thought I had 4 or 5 more sets of Rhino or DMold Phantom intakes.  Nope. Just 2 and 5 or 6 kits.  Should have bought more when I could have. 

• Like 4

Nowadays, I try to store the AM in the relevant kit box. That way, it a) saves some space b) gathers everything together for the time comes when I want to build the kit, and c) make sure I know where to find it, as the issue is more to remember that I have already bought the item (see ? You’re not alone)

Just yesterday, I was trying to remember where I had put the Kagero decal sheet for the 1/32 Ar-196. I knew it was not in the box, but where was it ? I finally found it, in the original Kagero book, but that was not an instantaneous find. 

Another day, I was about to hit the « purchase » button for a Master probe for the EE Lightning, when I had the idea to check the box first. An extra expense avoided !

Oh well, all the doubles will make for great gifts in the Christmas draw :)

Hubert

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I store them in my kits the best i can, otherwise have boxes marked for stuff that won't fit.  I use the Notes feature on my iPhone to record every kit and piece of AM I have for it so I don't double buy.  

Ditto.

• Like 4

I try to put the AM in the relevant kit but that's not always the case. Sometimes it won't fit in the box so then I have it in plastic tubs. PE is usually in one tub, resin in another and decals in a different one.

Unfortunately they don't always stay sorted. For example:

PXL_20221006_154855592.thumb.jpg.d188a5c0fea9a7c23d2ecede6f6694c3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I keep most of mine on a peg board and some on a shelf by my work area. SOMETIMES though I will put some after market items in the kit I got them for. As you mentioned Scott that can be a problem with possible duplication! :)

• Like 7

I have a box for PE that is either left over from a build, or not for a build that is on the radar. Also one for decals. I have separate boxes for Gaspatch items, and HGW belts. Drawers in a Hobby Zone unit for cockpit items like Airscale decals and bezels, old Waldron stuff and MDC instrument decals. I've been trying to put resin purchases into their respective kit boxes.

• Like 5

Mine are stored in plastic stackable box shelves and each box is labelled for the specific aircraft, Fw190, Ju88, Bf109 etc etc. I also keep an inventory of them in an excel program and on Scalemates 

• Like 3

Y’all mentioned decals. I have a top drawer in a filing cabinet I keep decals in and this got me thinking.  The wife has been wanting to clean out the file cabinet, so there I go!  I can have a drawer or two to organize how I want to store them.  

• Like 3

I keep AM, PE and Quinta sets in the kit box they were purchased for. AM sets I buy just to have when needed and haven't even bought the kit yet, is kept in a small box in a cabinet: One box for PE and more Quinta and one box for resin and 3D stuff. I now check those boxes before buying more, just in case I already have it. Decal sheets are kept in a file cabinet, in file folders by scale. Somehow, I do seem to forget all this and but some additional AM I already have because I plain old forget. :wacko:

• Like 4