Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Italeri 1/35 Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596

• 2 weeks later...

Didn’t realise I’d not done an update for a couple of weeks. Life & work keeps getting in the way of bench time. 
The Bofors is finished and a couple of items like ready ammo holders added. Sprayed the primer so I could complete the wheelhouse before adding all the side walls etc. This build needs some thought as the order to complete items. The Bofors needs some weathering yet but this where I am ……….the wheelhouse still also needs a little work on……..

081F2BE8-71DA-4116-8E93-E089C7E2543E.thumb.jpeg.ea9a34803b6f9ef0dafa02ea49794a3b.jpeg

3F5EB4B9-12B5-4D27-83D6-4D6350B93838.thumb.jpeg.3467fd89c82e7e089a0c564e2e8b64e4.jpeg

17C2EDE9-8B2A-4E3B-869F-C7610C5D8381.thumb.jpeg.2d8fe961e2e9881a0f6d477be71a62a4.jpeg

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

You're making great progress Phil. These kits definitely require planning ahead for paint and assembly. 

Thanks Carl, it’s true you have to think 6 steps ahead. The wheelhouse has enclosing partitions so the likelihood of finishing the assembly then spraying etc was ridiculous……..

• Like 2

Rob,

The detail work really catches the eye and this is already a really nice piece of eye-candy.  The details really bring out the build and make one want to spend a LOT of time, just looking it over so carefully to see everything.  The scratch building is terrific - I don't even have the bits to even think about scratch building like you are.  

:popcorn:

Chris

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Flawless work, detail in this scale just pops out . 👍You make it look easy Phil, real treat.

Thanks Martin, there are a lot better modellers here than me. 1/35 does lend itself to adding detail and love to to do a big EBoat after this…….maybe……

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

Very fine progress Phil, the Bofors looks really good with all the detail. A good plan is needed for ship builds, to not paint yourself into a corner.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, you dead right about planning, there is only a certain distant you can throw paint into a corner……..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Rob,

The detail work really catches the eye and this is already a really nice piece of eye-candy.  The details really bring out the build and make one want to spend a LOT of time, just looking it over so carefully to see everything.  The scratch building is terrific - I don't even have the bits to even think about scratch building like you are.  

:popcorn:

Chris

Chris, much appreciated it’s a fun build. As for scratch building material, brass and plastic rod, a few sq sections and sheet styrene is all you need. I approach it like DIY but smaller…….

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Rob, you dead right about planning, there is only a certain distant you can throw paint into a corner……..

As an ex American Football and Baseball player, I can throw these jars for miles :D, I better plan ahead.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

WOW, the Bofors look fantastic and are going to be an eye catcher on the completed model. Completely agree that the larger he scale, the more detail are needed as so much can be seen. Stellar work.

Thanks Peter, it’s all hanging out there to be viewed. The Bofors definitely needs some weathering. For salt spray in the wheelhouse I’ve used Vallejo White Model Wash, it’s subtle. Not sure if anyone noticed……..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

As an ex American Football and Baseball player, I can throw these jars for miles :D, I better plan ahead.

Cheers Rob

I’m a rugby person, always fancied having a go at American football, probably not at my age now……

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, KevinM said:

I take it most of that is just position on the deck?I would hate to glue to the hull unless perfect.:unworthy:

Just laid in approximately the right positions, spraying this behemoth and sequencing is going to need some thinking about…..

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great progress Phil, it's shaping up. With these large scale boats, you can't have enough detail. The Bofors looks especially great.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, you’re right I’m trying to add as much as I can, the only problem is finding the research it’s patchy. I’m going to attempt some sponge type chipping ……..wish me luck….

• Like 1