The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

ProModeler 1/48 PBY-5A Catalina + Goodies, RFI

Rob,

Definitely expectations are different around the world.  But this is not the first time I've been watching the app, expecting a delivery, and knowing that no vehicles came on campus (FedEx, UPS, etc) and then I get an update via the app of some problem : 'Resident not home' or 'Please verify address' it is more a matter of Probably too many packages to deliver so by the end of the day, some just don't get delivered.  I wish they would just say - 'we missed our delivery date, will deliver tomorrow'.  The Spit did show up the next day, and was sitting at my door - No signature!  Oh well - worse things happen.

The panel lines are definitely an enigma.  I've seen a Catalina up-close and those panel lines are not nearly as visible as on either the resin tail or the acadamy kit.  Even if you look at the rest of the Monogram fuselage - there are not many panel lines to be seen.  I may just have to bite the bullet and hit those panel lines ONE MORE TIME.   A smooth tail will probably look better than the current lines.

Just looking just to get some consistency between the tail and the rest of the aircraft.  I think the fuselage detail is pretty impressive, actually.  Too bad Mr. Belcher was not able to come close to the detail that Monogram has.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Definitely expectations are different around the world.  But this is not the first time I've been watching the app, expecting a delivery, and knowing that no vehicles came on campus (FedEx, UPS, etc) and then I get an update via the app of some problem : 'Resident not home' or 'Please verify address' it is more a matter of Probably too many packages to deliver so by the end of the day, some just don't get delivered.  I wish they would just say - 'we missed our delivery date, will deliver tomorrow'.  The Spit did show up the next day, and was sitting at my door - No signature!  Oh well - worse things happen.

Hehe, when it comes close, my situation betters. If the goods arrive on my island, it's a now brainer. The mail woman knows me personally and the transportista knows my name and tax number (always needed here) by heart and leaves packages, where the fire wood is stored or in the second unlocked car. Sometimes, when I'm driving around, either of them honks and I get my parcel wherever that might be. But the steps before, ...

It's a good idea to go with the flow with the panel lines and use the fuselage as a template for the tail section, I think.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Chris

Deliveries seem to be the same in most places. Rarely in my case has a delivery been missed and a signature required (I live in a gated community). It does happen that when one of the delivery services (UPS, FedEx or USPS) can't make the scheduled stop, checking the shipping email/tracking and the delivery date had magically has been changed to the next day.  In the past twelve months, I think I had to only sign twice for deliveries: The Lancaster and the Spitfire, everything else has always been left by the front door. 

One exception is deliveries from overseas with DHL, signature has always been required. 

Thanks for the pic of the bench with both the Voodoo and the Big Cat on their paint stands - looking mighty good for sure.

• Like 3

I ended up picking up a new Belcher tail for my kit.  It's certainly lighter than the solid version (yellow below), and it seems like some of the lines are different.  Panel lines are a little lighter as well on the newer version.  Just thought I'd post in case folks were considering picking up one of his replacement tails.  Both versions are really well done, it's just if you want to save a little weight, the newer version might make sense.

image.thumb.jpeg.b85da3b73ade67557ab7d118da72a6bc.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks Mike!  Definitely a different resin but the lines are a bit different between the two tails. Interesting.  Can't wait to see your build!

Chris

Here is the latest - started the masking process and this is going.to.take.a.while.  26 masks just for the canopy.  Whew.  And masks for the windshield wipers!  

image.thumb.jpeg.d9910095563e172e45e43f78d118f1be.jpeg

And worked on the join-seam for the tail a bit.  Some squadron white putty...

image.thumb.jpeg.6b7a1b83472ef769f59934d77874060d.jpeg

Splitting time with the Voodoo -which is up on her wheels!  Check her out here.

• Like 6

Chris

I feel your pain with all the masking that the Big Cat needs, as the Kingfisher was the nearly the same but with a five-section greenhouse, tiny panels and nearly no relief on the framing to help ease the struggle. 

Not sure about the water spray effect the windshield wiper arcs will convey - as I have no idea how to create it. 

Tail section looks good blended in and thank goodness is 'done and finished.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Chris

I feel your pain with all the masking that the Big Cat needs, as the Kingfisher was the nearly the same but with a five-section greenhouse, tiny panels and nearly no relief on the framing to help ease the struggle. 

Not sure about the water spray effect the windshield wiper arcs will convey - as I have no idea how to create it. 

Tail section looks good blended in and thank goodness is 'done and finished.

Hmmm.  I've seen it done on a jeep, but that was easy - spray a muddy brown or dust around the arc.  I think for the Cat, will just leave the windows clean.  :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

Bit the bullet and sat down to finish the masking.  Found an error in the Eduard instructions, which I think is pretty rare, and also this aircraft would be PERFECT for the T_FACE masks, inside and out.

First the error: Eduard switched the places of two of the masks - fortunately it was VERY easy to see the problem as one of the masks has a cut out, and the other does not. Pardon the messy notes!

image.thumb.jpeg.84c08cdda018a3b8ab3decdc55b6f2e2.jpeg

The fit of some of the masks was not fantastic so I augmented a few with slivers of yellow tape.  Otherwise, the masking was a huge help for this huge job. Have not filled in the windshield with liquid mask yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ec45767872ef6e08366714125967097.jpeg

Thats a few masks!!

image.thumb.jpeg.2f8ec97a09adbbf7265a41ae83e5bbdd.jpeg

And still have the fuselage windows to mask.  Not to mention doing the national insignia.

The clarity of the pieces just amazes me, too.  Especially being this old, there is very little distortion.  They have been dipped in Future.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0fa98ccdc8d10d84d6afebd6188832c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8991752b6da460664af9a33976692968.jpeg

Now I really have to get onto painting the figures...

• Like 9

Tedious job with the masking Chris, but having an Eduard set at hand helps a lot. You mentioned, that you Futurized the canopies. I had some fogging with liquid mask over Future or Pledge in my case, a while ago. The liquid mask was on for a while, but I can't remember which product it was, probably MR Masking Neo.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Chris

Masking looks mighty good and of course a ton of work. Good decision to keep the windows clean as a seaplane, I would think dust wouldn't have much chance to accumulate when the Cat was tied down. Of course, I'm still so envious, as there isn't a set of masks for the Kingfisher and they are lightyears ahead of doing all the glass by hand - especially. shaky old hands.

• Like 2

Thanks Rob and Peter.

Rob - now that you mention it, I think I may have had some fogging problems as well but that was when I left the liquid mask on for a long time.  But to be safe, I'll cut up some tape.  Thanks for the reminder!

Peter - I'm rapidly getting to the point where one of my buy-decisions is if I can get a mask set for the canopy.  Doing all that tape works just sucks the joy out of the build for me - I feel like I spend all that time for little return.  Until pulling off the tape/mask and seeing nicely framed glass.  :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

Started work on the figures for the Cat, specifically the waist gunner positions where I'm hoping to show them looking out the side blisters.  I THINK these guys, molded in black plastic, came from an old Monogram B-17G kit.  Right now trying out positions - need to move a few arms, maybe bend a few legs.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9c7d96d70edd5951293b099b450f309a.jpeg

Also trying out the paint colors.  Umm, Maybe my Model Master Acryl is a little bit old?

image.thumb.jpeg.4c3c36c7a3cc5403d52c445285884120.jpeg

Mixed it up, seems to be working ok so far.  :thumbsup2:

Here are the basic positions:

image.thumb.jpeg.9f9dc4f17e2fd832e21e24ff6867ab74.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.59b7ea5a9cd58b06f9a146c81cd8c4b3.jpeg

Lots of work still on the figures, one of the big problems is, well, they are pretty tall!  The kit gunners are both bent at the knees and waists.  But trying to show these guys looking out like they are searching for downed airmen.

A little bit of progress!

• Like 7

Did a bit of adjusting of arms (heating over a candle) to try and get a more realistic pose to the crewmen.  Since the idea is this is a search and rescue mission, these guys would be looking out their blisters for downed crewmen, as well as potentially airborne threats. These pics are before some touch-up but after (for this poor fellow) some surgery on his left arm to position it down.  Right arm was straightened to brace against the blister.

image.thumb.jpeg.977a1f92b43a69712a1b472bacd8202c.jpeg

This guy is leaning over his machine gun and his right arm will rest on the internal framing by the blister.

image.thumb.jpeg.01204bbbd026fd7b16325d3af2623af7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.028b0b4f411a14b33144646729a8437a.jpeg

Did some touch-up painting, trying to replicate a pretty severe tan, as well as faded uniforms.  Will keep playing with the skin tone, but the uniforms look a LOT better to the eye than close-up in these pics.  My figure work leaves a LOT to be desired, for sure!, Ugh, these look bad!!

image.thumb.jpeg.8b95c14c88e224bbdf2b78b1b2581cfd.jpeg

• Like 8

Like Gary said, the figures add a lot with the their distinctive poses. Unfortunately the casting quality is so bad, it will be difficult to paint them up well. I guess, there are not so many options out there in 48 scale, with rolled up sleeves.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4