The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hobbycraft Mustang

44 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice going on finding the parts to make your recon camera. My spare box has a lot of snack wrappers.😉

Thanks Peter. Those won't be much help when you need something for a model! LOL 🤪

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KevinM said:

I have a few RECCE crates in my collection John just 1/48 and I think I have this kit camera otherside not a great build on my part.;)

Thanks Kevin. I decided to redo the camera setup for a better "look" so I hope it will be a little better than the 1st try. 🤪:)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KevinM said:

I thought that one looked pretty good John but we shall about #2?;)

The more I looked at it the more it didn't look very good so I pulled it out and redid the mounting. I left the "camera" as it was and attached it to the replacement mounting. :)

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 hours ago, MikeCharlie said:

Sorry to be be picky, but that's a Mustang Mk Ia with the 20mms - there was no direct US equivalent to the Mustang Mk I.  (Yes I know it's confusing, especially as the FR equivalent of the P-51/Mustang Ia is the F-6A.)

For my personal information action, you say the RAF called it a 1A?  Interesting. I’d love it of you had some documentation and you could start a thread under General Discussion, documenting the various versions of the RAF Allison powered a Mustangs. They are a very popular subject, but so little is known about them.

Thanks, and welcome!

• Like 4

My hat's off to you on this one John, nice work!  It always surprises me that we find multiple variants and kits of one-off or obscure aircraft like the Do-335 or Hs-129, but modern kits of early variants of the P-51 Mustang are ignored.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Daywalker said:

My hat's off to you on this one John, nice work!  It always surprises me that we find multiple variants and kits of one-off or obscure aircraft like the Do-335 or Hs-129, but modern kits of early variants of the P-51 Mustang are ignored.

Thanks Frank. :) It sure would be nice if Hasegawa or Tamiya would give us some new early and not so early, such as the B/C, Mustangs. The Hobby Craft kits are very basic and need a good bit of updating plus they have gotten hard to find. Vector did some VERY nice cockpits for them and those have gotten pricey. If I remember right I paid over $60.00 for the one for this model. To me that's a bit too pricey but I bit the bullet anyway. 🤪

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

For my personal information action, you say the RAF called it a 1A?  Interesting. I’d love it of you had some documentation and you could start a thread under General Discussion, documenting the various versions of the RAF Allison powered a Mustangs. They are a very popular subject, but so little is known about them.

Thanks, and welcome!

Thank you for the welcome, and done

• Like 1

As is typical ... lovely work John! I have a couple of these in the stash ... 

Found the Vector Resin stuff and the barrels ... Are there any AM exhausts and wheels made for these things?

Also nice that the thread has sparked offshoot discussions on the early Mustangs - very informative.

I wonder where the moulds for these kits disappeared to? There has to be enough demand out there by now to warrant a fresh re-pop, surely?

Rog :)

• Like 3