The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair, PTO camouflage and colours

Martinnfb

8 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Martin and I in the past have discussed a significant Corsair from a Canadian perspective which is Robert Hampton Grey's Corsair. Specifically the one he was flying that earned him posthumously the Victoria Cross.  Any thoughts on that one?

Carl

Not familiar with that Airframe as I'm just a USN nut when it comes to colors. Though I know of one F4U-1 that was trialed and trained by the Brits in 3 tone, stateside with "British" markings but in 3 tone. It was a F4U-1 A 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Kaeone57 said:

Also of note, in that pic you just posted, the last one above, the Goodyear FG-1/F4U-1 Birdcage is the color on the main landing gear doors...surely not over sprayed in white!!!!

Alfonso

The inner color of the main landing gear doors is what I'm referring to, that is NOT WHITE!!!

• Thanks 1

There seems to be no "real interest" in F4U-1 "Birdcage" Corsair colors. At least in 3/4 tone, Counter Shading Schemes and marking changes brought on by what was happening in the Pacific. I guess, I'll just add to this as needed, or asked!?

-Why/How the changes in Color Scheme came to be?

-Why the change in US national markings from 6 position to 4 position, and the addition of white bars... ETC!

Manuscript in the works still. 

Not saying/typing in a negative manner either as the written word can be misconstrued since no emotion is evident or present... LoL 

Alfonso 

PS- The title of this page should be changed, in my honest and humblist point, as my original "intent is/was to share" colors of F4U-1 "Birdcage" Corsairs in their in the PTO transitions to 3/4 tone/Counter Shading Schemes and US National markings count change from 6 to 4 and staggered placement, design and reasons of marking, etc..etc

With pictures of course. Not just verbage or regurgitation of things said/seen!

Hope you understand, saying it in a harsh way, or anything implying any negative way's. Typing sucks for me, the written/document work I'm trying to put together on the above mentioned points will of course require an editor to get my point across!!! I truly suck at the written word to convey thoughts! LoL 

• Thanks 1

• Martinnfb changed the title to F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair, PTO camouflage and colours

240 views in less than 24 hour is no real interest? :) Not sure about that LOL, the name of the topic has been changed. Give us some meat Alfonso :) ,  maybe take it in a baby steps at first. One section per time, at least 240 folks is waiting. You've got this👍

Cheers

Martin

• Like 2

Didn't check "views", didn't or never done that! LoL

What I mean is, there's no dialogue happening, I guess I took that as no interest!? My apologies.

Yes, there are things I am wish/willing to share, it's I guess based on questions. I'm doing my best to put it together, have been little by little, to put together a book.

Hate to say it but not gonna give it all away either! LoL

Hope those interested in this topic understand what I mean? Color questions and things related to the before mentioned, ask away and what I know, I'll share! If I don't, I don't.

Alfonso 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:28 PM, Martinnfb said:

Hey Guys ,

F4U Corsair is such a prominent aeroplane that it would be only appropriate to open a separate topic , as such, where we can discuss it's evolution and share our research, pictures, drawings and observations related to this famous warrior.

Cheers

M.

Edit: Let us focus on the early Birdcage :) I've changed the name

Uuu-huuum, clears throat, LoL

I'll say 3/4 toner, Counter Shading Scheme, F4U-1 side number White 83 for $157, Please...ding, ding, ding, game show sound!!!

Alfonso 

Damn, somehow I removed the pic, damn!!!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Anyway to keep this going. Here are few articles related to GoodYear implementation of the graded and so call four tone scheme.

https://imodeler.com/2015/04/a-good-year-for-corsairs/

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/295172-f4u-1-birdcage-window-question/

image.jpeg.b380163ef0deee043f37a0c8f391aca4.jpeg

This picture!!!! There's a larger picture which shows a Corsair in FRESH painted 3/4 tone/Counter Shading Scheme all the way to the right of this, next to the Squadron hack F4F!! What a picture! They, the USN/USMC were filming and taking pictures this day. The footage you can find on the internet under Critical Past. 

It show's white 465, Birdcage at left, taking off as well others in this lineup ...etc

White 576, Marines Dream is also in this lineup about mid way to right. Lot's of color details in this pic and all others taken that day! 

• Thanks 1

In January 1943, the U.S. Navy released a specification that replaced the simple blue-gray over light gray camouflage scheme scheme with a complex one that employed counter-shading and counter-shadowing. Simply put, a dark blue was applied to the surfaces viewed from the top, a lighter blue on surfaces viewed from the side, and white on surfaces viewed from the bottom. As might be expected, there was a changeover period during which some aircraft that had already been delivered in the superseded scheme were repainted.  There appears to have been an early implementation of the concept at the Navy's Norfolk, Virginia aircraft rework/repair facility which differed from the more generally accepted approach with respect to the amount of light blue versus dark on the side of the fuselage. The most obvious difference is the demarcation of the dark blue extending upward from the wing on to the side of the fuselage. In what I call the Norfolk scheme, 1) the width of the dark blue area narrows above the wing instead of expanding forward and aft and 2) less of the top of the fuselage is dark blue

SOURCE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kaeone57 said:

This picture!!!! There's a larger picture which shows a Corsair in FRESH painted 3/4 tone/Counter Shading Scheme all the way to the right of this, next to the Squadron hack F4F!! What a picture! They, the USN/USMC were filming and taking pictures this day. The footage you can find on the internet under Critical Past. 

It show's white 465, Birdcage at left, taking off as well others in this lineup ...etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/23/2023 at 8:38 AM, Panzer Juan said:

Hi, I'm starting my F4U-1 Birdcage Tamiya 1:48 and I plan to do the early Birdcage from the  Blacksheep, which of these two is the right one? Thanks.

redstrr.jpg

dsgrtfds.jpg

The top illustration in 3/4 tone counter shading scheme.

• Thanks 1

This is such a well done piece of work here. I hope to see more put here. I’ve known Alfonso for many years were very close friends and he is in my opinion the expert on Cours you can trust anything he puts here… Harv.