The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:35 Trumpeter Mörser Karl-Gerät 040/041 with transport.

Hello everyone,

This is going to be my first build project here on LSM. I need a break from Aircraft, so thought I'd do an OOB Military build. I picked this up at a very reasonable price, so thought it wouldn't be too much of a shame to build it OOB.

This is the later version of Karl, which utilised a different suspension set up from the earlier version. Both versions have the ability to raise and lower their suspension, and Trumpeter give the option of modelling either kit in the raised or lowered position. This kit is also kitted by dragon, but according to some reviews on the 'net, the Trumpeter is the better kit as far as content and detail is concerned but it is also a far more complex build, so beginners or someone who wants a "quick build" should maybe go with the Dragon kit.

This is the box top. The kit number is 00209. Notice the wording on the box top, it states some kit features... 840mm long with 1251 parts!!

Boxtop.jpg

Upon removal of the box top you will find Trumpeters normal great packaging, with many boxed parts and bubblewrap or foam protecting fragile areas of the sprues.

Boxcontents.jpg

The total number of sprues is a massive 30, plus upper and lower hull, tracks and no less than 8 rail sections. Just look at all that plastic!!

Sprues.jpg

Will I start this today...maybe???

• Like 2

OK, as requested here are some pics of the build so far.. I have decided to build at least one of the rail cars first, as a quick browse through the instructions shows they will be very complex, and with the repeated hubs, brakes and suspension parts will be monotonous at times.

This is one pair of chassis rails for one car, and one set of brake assemblies. there are no fewer than 130 parts here!! Each double brake assembly is made up of 7 parts, and there's eight per car!!

Railcarchassis.jpg

A closer view of the brakes for you..

brakedetail.jpg

Every spring is held in place by two separate hangars per end, they are beautifully moulded with very nice bolt detail. I feel this could be one of Trumpy's good 'uns?

springhanger.jpg

Definitely not a kit for the total novice... but a lovely build for all who want to get one.. so far.

Happy new Year to all, I'm off for a cup of tea or two and a slice of cake to bring in the new year.. I hope they're serving tea at the local tonight? If not, I'll have to drink Beer :(

OMG, I haven't looked in that box for a while. What an epic build this will be. Totally out of the ordinary, fits right in here if you ask me. I started the Br-52 and that is another complex kit so far. That Morser-Karl looks like it will be difficult to paint, meaning what order to paint everything. What scheme are you planning for this by the way?

Paul

Oh yeah, I've a sneaking love of these HUGE guns (Morters?) so I'm definitely pulling up a comfy chair to watch along - it's going to be fascinating. And what a treat, seeing Nige at LSM. Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Grant.

Thanks for all your great compliments guys, this really is going to be a fun build.

@Dave J, It says 840mm long on the box front.

@ James H, I know what you mean, I've already put together more parts than in some 1/48 Aircraft kits!!

@ Paul, I intend to paint it in sub assemblies as I go. I will be painting the trains with Tamiya XF 63 German Grey, then using post shading, washes, filters and dust I will try to add some interest to it.

@ Martin, Calm down man!! lol.

I'm jumping back on the bench now.

there seems to be a lot of interest in this lovely kit, so I'll turn the build thread into a kind of "Review-Build" for you all. there also appears to be some interest in the part count, so here's a shot of all the 93 parts involved in building one pair of frame rails suspension and brakes...

chassisparts.jpg

My fingers are numb following the clean up!!

A little advice for anyone contemplating the kit, this note, bottom left, should only be applied to one frame rail, as far as I can see.

instructions.jpg

Keep checking in, I'll be on this one all day today...

What a cool beast. I just checked, and I have the identical kit (I thought I only bought the mortar itself), so if you need any spares for the trucks, please let me know, as I will not be building mine. I had the munitionsschlepper, but sold it; now it looks like I'll have to buy it again. :(

Thanks for the offer Kev, I almost needed a brake part, but the carpet monster gave up!! I won lol. I ordered the munitions schlepper yesterday on EBay.

Here we have both rail cars frames built up along with the brake assemblies.. 260 parts in all!!

chassisparts1.jpg

Note I haven't fitted the brakes yet, I want to wait until I can get a wheel or two on first to check alignment.

Now we move onto the axle assemblies, once again there are many parts to assemble, here's a shot of the relevant instruction sheet to show what's going on here...

instructions5.jpg

Here are the parts all cleaned up, for one car only. When both sets of axles are assembled, I will have put no less than 390 parts together!!

axleparts.jpg

Look at the detail on the hubs, note the separate oil reservoir caps!! Nice kit this!!

axleparts1.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Once the axles are built I'll need to start painting things...

Repetitive... you're not wrong there!!

Here's how things look now, with some pre painted items. We're now on 390 parts.

paintedparts.jpg

The wheel rims are painted with a very thin mix of Tamiya X-1 Gloss black, then they got a very thin coat of Alclad chrome. I will now mask the rims before painting the wheels German grey. The grey parts are painted with a very thin mix of Tamiya XF-63. I always use Cellulose thinners with Tamiya paint. I find it makes it more durable than when thinned with acrylic thinner.

Thanks for looking in, more to come tomorrow.

An epic undertaking!

It looks like fit is not giving any problems. I recall the PMM website basically concluded that Trumpy trounced Dragon with both the Morser and the Leopold rail gun. I have the Leopold in a half built (I bought it that way) and then half (quarter?) dismantled state.  Maybe I should dig it out...?

Matt

• Like 1

An epic undertaking!

It looks like fit is not giving any problems. I recall the PMM website basically concluded that Trumpy trounced Dragon with both the Morser and the Leopold rail gun. I have the Leopold. Maybe I should dig it out...?

Matt

Hi Matt,

I also have the Leopold, I got both this one and that one as a pair, for a VERY reasonable price.

The first fit problem I had was the axles going into the bearing hubs, they were very tight so I shaved them down a little, then the chassis side plates were not a great fit up against the floor. I have one setting up now on the bench with some lumps of steel holding it all together, we'll see how it looks later on??

• Like 1

Good morning all, only me!!

Here's a little update, just to show you all I haven't gone away.

Here's the main chassis frames built up. as mentioned earlier, the fit between sides and top wasn't great, but some mr surfacer applied to the join, after the glue setting under steel blocks sorted the gaps out.

Chassisbuilt.jpg

Note the sub assembly painting as the build goes on.

These connecting chains are a work of art by Trumpeter. They are fully workable, I don't intend to play with them, but it's nice to have the choice of linking something up or leaving the linkage hanging down.

Chains.jpg

Time for a gripe.... Bloody ejector pin marks!! Arrgghhh!!... at least there aren't too many of them on the kit... so far.

Pinmarks.jpg

Here's the bits and bobs all painted up ready to be fitted...

Paintedwheels.jpg

Thanks for looking in, I should have more to show later. Right now I'm off to Brighton to see my two week old Puppy Wire Haired Fox Terrier for the first time..

I think the designers at Trumpeter attended the Italeri school of ejector pin location design. :)

If you think that's bad.. take a look at the 1/72 scale morser karl great transport from Hobby Boss. The back, plain, unseen faces are perfectly clean and mark free.

72scalepinmarks.jpg

72scalepinmarks1.jpg

What were the tool designers thinking when they drew these moulds up???

Thanks for the compliments on Jess, yes Guy, she is expanding very quickly, currently by an ounce a day and is second fattest in the litter. She's a Wire haired Fox Terrier.

The part count for this lovely kit is also expanding, I'm on 450 parts assembled or ready for assembly now, and am still not half way there yet, in fact I think 450 parts is around 1/3rd the total count!!

Here are the parts for stages 6,7 and 8, well most of them at least..

Partsforstage6and7.jpg

And the instructions:-

Instructions6.jpg

Instructions7and8.jpg

You may notice in the bottom LH corner of stage 7/8, we need to drill a 1.6Ø hole through the angled walls of the support blocks. Well, here they are..

Drilledhole.jpg

Thanks for looking in, I'll go and put this lot together now....