Jump to content

Tiran 5. Primer and paint.


Paulster
 Share

Recommended Posts

Have the chassis done, minus paint of course. Tamiya kit. Fruil tracks, Voyager Basic pe upgrade and Legends and Mig T-55 fender fuel tanks upgrade. Used about 60% of the Voyager set as some it seemed almost silly to use as a kit replacement. I will break this down into a few segments as I don't want to bombard you all with 30 something pictures all at once.

 

Step one was to assemble the tracks. Did them in 10 link lengths then put them together to make them 82 links per side. I then soaked them in Micro Scale's "Blacken It". Waste of time. Going to have to paint them anyway. Threw the rest away. I made the track painting jig a few builds ago. Balsa wood, cost about $3 to make.

 

Then I assembled the road wheels, taped them to an opened up empty Coors Light box. Always seem to have one of those around somewhere. Then I primed and then sprayed the rubber part with MM enamel "Helo Drab". Unless otherwise noted, all colors are MM enamels. 

 

Next was to cut all the molded on fender brackets to make room for the Voyager replacements. Fill all the pin marks under the fenders. Then prime with Tamiya Surface Primer.

 

file.jpg

 

file-8.jpg

 

file-9.jpg

 

file-11.jpg

 

file-14.jpg

 

file-19.jpg

 

file-4.jpg

 

file-10.jpg

 

file-13.jpg

 

 

 

file-5.jpg

 

file-7.jpg

 

file-15.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tiran 5 Pt. 2.

 

Finished the hull. Filled in the fender bracket holes with strip styrene, CA glue and Tamiya Surface Primer (bottle) and sanded smooth. ran some small gauge solder for the electrical wire going to the headlight. The fender tanks and pe are from the Legends T-55 fender tank set. The hose and hose connectors are from a left over MIG aftermarket set that is obviously no longer available. I drilled the resin connectors all the way through (yes, before O-beer-thirty) so I could then just slide the fuel line through it. That way I could just move the connector where I wanted it instead of needing to cut precise lengths of wire. I scratch built the tow cable hold down pins with plastic rod, .010 solder wrapped around to kinda look like a spring and a brass bolt head on the end. Stowage is from the spares box with one item made from 2 part putty formed to fill a gap in the rack I didn't know what to do with. It's my first attempt at the putty rolled tarp, which would explain in part why it looks like a$$. Everything else is from the Voyager upgrade set. I must say that their pe is the easiest one I have ever worked with. Bends easy and minimum amount of connecting frets. Which makes cleanup much easier. The pioneer tools are Tiger Models Sherman set. I was fresh of Brit stuff. After putting away the photo booth, I downloaded the pictures. Then I realized I forgot to strap down the goodies in the rear stowage bin. Some thin tape and a buckle, then I was done.

 

file-16.jpg

 

file-18.jpg

 

file-20.jpg

 

file-21.jpg

 

file-22.jpg

 

file-24.jpg

 

file-28.jpg

 

file-26.jpg

 

file-25.jpg

 

file-32.jpg

 

file-31.jpg

 

file-40.jpg

 

file-38.jpg

 

file-34.jpg

 

file-35.jpg

 

file-37.jpg

 

file-39.jpg

 

file-33.jpg 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

PROGRESS!!!!!!! Taking a while. Life gets in the way. James and Dave make me slave away here. Super Bowl. Beer. You know, the usual suspects.

 

Voyager PE. Great stuff. RB barrel. Best barrels on the planet. The stowage in the rear bin is Academy crap from the spares box. Covering with tarp so I don't care how it is. Just wanted shapes. Straps are made of 1mm tape with Alliance buckles. The tarp is 2 part Milliput(sic?). My first experience with this stuff. Rolled it out on wax paper constantly sprinkling body powder then cutting shape with scissors. I put the tarp on the stack of stowage. I folded one side ala boot camp folding the blanket on the rack. Too neat. So the other side I just kinda crumbled it up. Suits me. The jerry cans are from the "Tank Work Shop". Good clean stuff. The bed/tentroll was hollow on the back. So I filled with the left over putty, dried and filed creases and shapes, super glued to hand rail then ca glued tape on the back for straps. As before, picture intense.

 

file-41.jpg

 

file-42.jpg

 

file-43.jpg

 

file-48.jpg

 

file-45.jpg

 

file-44.jpg

 

file-46.jpg

 

file-47.jpg

 

file-49.jpg

 

file-50.jpg

 

file-51.jpg

 

file-52.jpg

 

file-53.jpg

 

file-54.jpg

 

file-55.jpg

 

PRIMER TOMORROW!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting there. Primered, pre shade, MM IDF Sand Grey sprayed and gloss coat layer on. Decals go on today and with this heat I'll also be able to clear coat again today. Oh yeah, base color on tracks also sprayed on.

 

file-57.jpg

 

file-58.jpg

 

file-59.jpg

 

file-60.jpg

 

file-61.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...