The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 HK Models B-17G. Corrections, AM and Backdating.

O.k.  Now we're cooking' with gas.  I just put a special section in my research files for this.  Those are some mods I can do.  It looks like in trimming down the control box on the right part of the IP, you corrected its shape.  I'm glad you dealt with that one.  I'd like to see how you handle the control column fabric.  Thanks for posting.  

I found you guys playing in someone else's yard.

Hi Nigel  I had ask SD a couple of days ago if he missed you as much as I?

My build took a FLAK-KAT hit last week and I've been sorting thru the rubble.

In process of trying to get re-built back where it was.

Looking forward to your continuing conquest of this beast

"You can run....................Ha Ha

Glad to see you

Jack

These guys are going to love the new members you'll pull in

Thanks Daz, I hope you enjoy what you see?

Please bear in mind, you don't need to do all the corrections I'm doing just the ones you think really make the difference.. I am going OTT on this one.

As a little teaser, have a look at a real B-17 tailplane and elevator, then have a look at the HK models tailplane and elevator. Anyone spot the mistake??

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

Welcome aboard. I'm sure these guys over here would love to see your "in flight" figures. They are awesome.

Yeah, lets hope the troublemakers don't find us.

Thank You SD, Dave and Hey Nigel

I feel privileged to be invited to the PARTY

I'll Post a 17 thread also..............it will allow me to fix mine and be caught up.

Looking forward to being amazed

jacj

...so the naysayers wouldn't follow us here.  I'll definitely be patient, Nigel.  This is way too good to rush.

Make no mistake, they're here too, just not as vocal.  I've seen quips and quills from one of them but nothing as of late.

Make no mistake, they're here too, just not as vocal.  I've seen quips and quills from one of them but nothing as of late.

Naysayers are being watched by LSM Staff.. One has been dealt with already,

• Like 5

Good moderation is the key to a successful forum.  We can agree or disagree on any topic so long as it's done in a polite and civilized manner.  Some folks believe that the winner of an argument is the guy who is loudest and shoots the biggest insult rather than providing evidence based facts.   I've dealt with that all my professional career.  Nigel has and is providing us with invaluable info and technique such that even I'm attempting some of the easier procedures. We're fortunate that he takes the time to help us out and raise our level of skill.  That kind of passion is rare.  I wish more of my dental professors were like that.  Now, on to more modeling.  

• Like 2

Nigel has and is providing us with invaluable info and technique such that even I'm attempting some of the easier procedures. We're fortunate that he takes the time to help us out and raise our level of skill.  That kind of passion is rare.  I wish more of my dental professors were like that.  Now, on to more modeling.

Thanks SD, that is quite possibly the best compliment I've ever received. Funny you should make reference to your dentist.. I make dental burs for a living!!

You earned the compliment, Nigel.  That is about as sincere as anyone could be.   You make dental burs??  Wow, what a coincidence.  Did you also make the diamond crown and bridge and porcelain stones too?  I used to use those things up like crazy.  Nothing cuts a good crown prep like a fresh diamond.  I especially loved the diamond straight handpiece stones.  They were way better than the Dremel ones.  

Boy, all this dental talk makes me cringe as I have a dental appointment next Wednesday. I have no idea what a dental burr is but I'm thinking it has something to do with teeth drilling.  I'm fortunate in that I had parents who saw the benefits of regular dental visits and proper tooth care.  To date, my mouth only has two fillings although at 52 (this April) my teeth are starting to show some wear.

Anyway, that's all well and good, now on to the modifications Nige!

OK Guys, here's a simple little mod for a Monday evening....

The chin turret in the kit has some issues and can easily be corrected with some plastic scrap and a sharp knife.

The kit slots at the back end of the guns are too long, so they need to be filled with some plastic pieces...

Chinturret.jpg

Once dry, the plastic can be sanded down to conform with the outer diameter of the turret and the slots can be rounded off with a round file.

Chinturret1.jpg

Note I have also cut the small slots for the shell ejectors. These are easy to keep square as they line up perfectly with the box moulded inside the turret.

Next we cut the square openings out in the back of the turret, then stick in some edging for the clear Panels to fix to. Note the plastic has been thinned out around all slots.

Chinturret2.jpg

There you go, a simple little mod that will add realism to your chin turret...

• Like 3

Now for some work on the nose.. There's a lot to be done here if you want an accurate B-17G, however, if you leave it alone, no-one will probably ever notice.. except me... :wacko:

In this next picture, I am attempting to show the errors by sticking masking tape over the starboard nose half and drawing on the approximate location and size of the glazing and thick panelling for the cheek gun. Yes, the windows really are that much out...

StarboardNosesection.jpg

Note also the cheek gun fairing is pointing down whereas it should point slightly upwards. Check some online photo's..

Here we can see the  windows corrected and the flat part of the cheek gun panelling added in the correct position. remember also this part is 4mm too long.

Starboardgunmount2.jpg

Now then, to get the correct shape on the cheek gun we must do some serious surgery...

Starboardgunmount.jpg

The cheek gun extension needs to be sectioned and reshaped as shown here. In my opinion this is well worth doing, especially the windows..

Starboardgunmount3.jpg

I have reshaped the kit clear part for the cheek gun and made it fit with the angled up extension.

Moving on to the port side we have the same issues with the oversized and mis-positioned windows and also a couple of issues with the cheek gun fairing.

Portnosesection.jpg

Here we can see the windows corrected and the flat panel of the fairing corrected.

PortNosemods.jpg

I have seriously chopped up the fairing to correct it. In my opinion the fairing is not tall enough and the strakes top and bottom don't go back far enough..

portcheekgun.jpg

This is the port nose finished as far as the windows and cheek gun fairing are concerned.

portcheekgun2.jpg

Note there are two different designs of the cheek gun fairings on the real aircraft, also there are three different windscreen designs. Check your references for the aircraft you're building... if you really are that fussy!!

• Like 2

Hi Nige!

I can't remember if I ever posted on your previous thread, but I was certainly following it with much admiration. I'm a great fan of doing large modifications to kits to get them looking the way that you want, so your build is very inspirational to me and like so many others who seemed to have found their way here, I was totally bummed with what happened to you. 

This has just made my day finding this, and coincidentally, prompting me to join this forum. Thank you for continuing to post your exceptional work!

Craig

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great work Nige. A good friend just told me that his military adopted family has a senior member that flew 34 missions in WW2 and most of them over Berlin. I am working out a deal to get this kit so I can build one for the former B-17 pilot. I going to find out his tail # to see if I will need to have custom decals made. Anyway, your work is amazing!!

Mike

Heya Nige :) ...

Glad to see you kept on going with this one! ... My skills won't cut it so I'm sticking with OOB + some AM brass and photo etch ... But I always enjoy watching what those with a greater skill set and better eye than me can achieve ... at least you can put all that reviewed Eduard gear to use now! :)

Rog :)

• Like 1