The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Who's making a decent 190?

Guest jimmydel

Guest jimmydel

Seems not to be too many options for 32nd FWs out there. I know Hasegawa has a couple, but my experience with their 32nd stuff has been all over the place. The 109s were decent....10 years ago...the Mustang....old and atrocious, and I've heard the Jug is equally bad...

I'm more interested in fit than anything. 100% accuracy doesn't bother me...but I like OOB detail...not to say I won't throw AM at it...but 70s Revell 32nd stuff just won't cut it for me.

In short...what's the best starting point....non-Dora BTW

Guest jimmydel

Thank you, Matt. I wasn't sure where those kits fell in the Hasegawa timeline...seems to be of the same vintage of the 109s that I'm familiar with. I wasn't sure if they were from around that time...or more in line with their Mustang.

and I've heard the Jug is equally bad...

Are you speaking of the new tool Hasegawa 1/32 P-47D series?  If so, you've heard wrong.  Between the two (Trumpeter and Hasegawa), the Hasegawa kit is far and away the better kit regarding accuracy and fidelity of detail.  Notice I did not say there are no issues with the Hasegawa kit, there are but they are relatively minor and easy to fix.

It's funny you should mention this Matt...

Here's a link to LSPs Hasegawa FW 190 listing (new tool). 

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Marketplace/lsp_kitlist/kit_details.php?kit=383

Matt

I actually did most of the work compiling the Hasegawa Fw190 A and D lists, including adding the majority of the photos from my own stash. Also funny is that another Member here, by his own admission, was given a kit as a reward for his work on that database, whereas Your's Truly was told to leave that site... on three separate occasions no less.

But back to the topic... I echo the others' comments about the new-tool Hasegawa Fw190's. Some modellers have a little trouble with the join of the lower cowling to the fuselage, but I believe this is less so with the A-5/A-6 kits of the range. Otherwise, they build into solid replicas with hardly any fit problems to mention.

S

• Like 1

Can't believe I forgot the PCM kit...

Accuracy wise it's good and can be picked up for a reasonable price second hand. It can be somewhat more challenging than Hasegawa's kit but it is a short run product... just need a little more care and more prep work to ensure good fit.

Matt

• Members

Yeah, the PCM 190 kit builds up pretty well with a little TLC.  Wish they would have made it modular to accomodate an A-4 version.  Hopefully I'm going to be doing a JG 1 A-4 this year with the Montex conversion set.