The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Main float struts are attached just aft of main float center.
A6M2-NFloat031.jpg

A6M2-NMainFloat_Attach0501.jpg

After test fitting these spars I realized the locator holes were off by about 2mm.  My solution was to remove the locator pin on the spar which meets the wing.

A6M2-NMainFloat_Attach04.jpg

I trimmed off the locator pin.  NOTE:  THERE IS A LEFT AND RIGHT FLOAT SPAR.  PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THIS.

A6M2-NMainFloat_Attach03.jpg

Locator pin on top removed.  Locator pin on bottom removed.

A6M2-NMainFloat_Attach02.jpg

Ready to place in position on main float.

A6M2-NMainFloat_0202.jpg

A6M2-NMainFloat_Attach01-1.jpg

Painting will be next step and I strongly urge these important points:

1) Give at least a full 48 hours for all float/glue to cure.

2) Do not handle plane by float.  Sometimes you must for positioning during painting, if you must be gentle and use care.

3) Install wing floats last otherwise they will hinder handling during paint and finish and will break.

The wing floats can be seen on the left with the bombs and pilot.  These will be assembled, painted and weathered before secured to the wing.

A6M2-NMainFloat_Attach0601.jpg

I recommend you not be concerned with mounting the spars on the wing using locator pins.  I do recommend you drill the holes as noted during the wing assembly.  This will give you a "target" to generally locate the spar to the wing.

Before the slow cure CA sets on the spar attached to main float place a medium CA where the spar meets the wing.

This worked for me.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.

• Like 1

Painting became a lesson in so many many ways.  I stayed with my "old school" tactics.  Remember, I am a "rookie" coming back to this hobby.

• No Pre-shade (apply weather wash after paint)
  • Paint like I am painting a house, no layer painting to build up finish
  • Heavy coverage

A6M2-NPaint09.jpg

Tamiya IJN Grey applied undersides then masked using putty snakes then Tamiya IJN Green applied to topsides.  Note wing floats in background are painted.

Dusting issues from painting too heavy, not thinned well and psi too high.  Took a 6000 grit sandpaper lightly over finish.

A6M2-NPaint10.jpg

Maketar Hinomaru masks used.  Alex also created custom tail number masks for me.  Alex and Maketar were a pleasure to work with.

A6M2-NPaint08.jpg

Masks set and ready to go.

A6M2-NPaint07.jpg

White base applied.

A6M2-NPaint06.jpg

Hinomaru is a mix of Vallejo Air Color: Red (RLM23) 20 parts + Vallejo Air Color: Fire Red 1 part.

A6M2-NPaint05.jpg

Masks removed, there will be some light 6000 grit sanding on these.  Underside Hinomaru masks set.

A6M2-NPaint04.jpg

Wing ID, Tail Number and Float Warning/Dolly locator stripes set a base of white.

A6M2-NPaint02.jpg

Wing ID Vallejo Air Color: Yellow 5 parts + Vallejo Model Color: Bright Orange 1 part and Float Stripes are Vallejo Air Color: Red (RLM23).

A6M2-NPre_Weathering.jpg

Gloss applied, stencil decals applied.  Engine, cowling and prop attached.  Final coat of gloss, wing floats attached.  Thinned wash of brown black applied.

• Like 1

Looking like it's taking shape (pardon the pun. No, don't) Rick. But your sentence with Squadron Green Putty and happy is something you don't hear too often.

For some reason I have always had good luck with Green Putty. 

However, after using Tamiya putty and 3M Red Acryl it's quite possible I will never use Green Putty again.

• 1 year later...

I'm working on this conversion now, your article has been quite helpful, thanks Rick

Do you have a copy of the Kagero book on the Rufe?

No I do not have the Kagero book on the A6M2N.

If not too late, remove the hump on the main float.  I found no reference images showing that hump.  I wished I'd seen those images before it was too late to adjust.

Look forward to see your posts.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I have some extra MDC parts if you need them.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers - Rick

No I do not have the Kagero book on the A6M2N.

If not too late, remove the hump on the main float.  I found no reference images showing that hump.  I wished I'd seen those images before it was too late to adjust.

Look forward to see your posts.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I have some extra MDC parts if you need them.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers - Rick

I asked the fine folks at MDC and I was told that the hump is a cover for a fuel pump in the main float. That said, having hunted through the Kagero title, I could not find a single photo with it - and there are dozens of Rufe photos that I have never seen before included in that title. In fact, all the photos clearly show a clean float.

PM me your email and I'll share a copy with you.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but the turtle deck under the canopy is black. It will be our little secret though.

Rick-

Thanks for (re)posting this. This is a fine example of a thorough build log. Your skills at cutting, filing, filling and pinning were quite refined, even at this early stage. Your work here will make it easier for me to attempt any modifications in my future builds. You turned out a nice Rufe here.

Regards,

Tom

I asked the fine folks at MDC and I was told that the hump is a cover for a fuel pump in the main float. That said, having hunted through the Kagero title, I could not find a single photo with it - and there are dozens of Rufe photos that I have never seen before included in that title. In fact, all the photos clearly show a clean float.

PM me your email and I'll share a copy with you.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but the turtle deck under the canopy is black. It will be our little secret though.

there fixed it  :)

good luck with your build.

I have been mulling it over and someday I just might put this on the bench remove that hump and add a panel line wash.  Maybe paint the turtle deck.  :)

PM inbound

• 3 weeks later...

I have been mulling it over and someday I just might put this on the bench remove that hump and add a panel line wash.  Maybe paint the turtle deck.  :)

I was just sitting here working on my build when I remembered you said this. It reminded me that I should point out that if you do, you should ditch the entire headrest/rollover structure above the turtle deck.