The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Air compressor and airbrushes.

RalphSarc

I’m considering the purchase of a hobby air compressor and airbrushes to achieve new levels of detail and weathering I'm looking for.

My first question is this, can I use my existing nail gun compressor adjusted to the correct PSI for a hobby airbrush using an adaptor to fit the airbrush hose size?

If not I have been looking on eBay and have found several compressors kits with three airbrushes from $118.00/$159.00 US.

What say you???

Ralph.

I'm by no means a skilled or accomplished airbrush artist, but I'm proficient at snagging deals when they present themselves. I picked up this 6 gal., 1.1 hp compressor at Home Depot, regular $250 for $80. In the future I may want a more precise regulator, but I get along fine as it is with just the proper size hose fitting and a moisture trap on my brush.

<insert obligatory apology about poor quality photo here>

ed3b0dbd18fa6314ae1490afcf5a95bf_zpscf73

Lindsay

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Not sure about workshop ones.

I have one from Airbrushes.com and its great.  

Airbrush wise I have an Iwata TR1 so if you like the idea of trigger over the usual double action (and I do) have a look at that too.

Good luck in finding your kit.  Airbrushing is so much fun.

As well as the airbrush though I'd also factor in cost of a decent extractor/spray booth and a respirator, especially if using anything like Alclad.

J.

• 1 year later...

After going through converting a shop compressor - (about $75 w/ all "doodads"), I ended up with one that worked fine but TOO noisy for my preference. I then spent $100 on one of the little Home Depot portables, which was OK, but still noisy................I then did something I had thought about for a year or two, but never worked up the nerve to try - I went to my local fire extinguisher servicer, and inquired about a CO2 tank and regulator. BEST MOVE I EVER MADE!!! - completely silent, a medium tank will last about a year, even with heavy use, and no need for water filters, as it's completely dry. These can also be had from soft drink vendors........CO2 is what powers the soft drink cup servers you see everywhere.