The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ju88C-6 Nightfighter R4+HH.

RalphSarc

You did a great job there Ralph. Those colour PE belts can be a pain in the ass, so some respect it due for installing them so well. 

This is looking really good.

They weren't to bad once I got through the first set. There's definitely a learning curve, lol!! The instructions that Eduard supply in the kit are very vague to say the least!! I would suggest that all the "new modelers" like myself out there invest in a few good pairs of tweezers as seat-belts work is small, tedious and sometimes very maddening, lol!! Of course it goes without saying a good quality lighted hood is an absolute must have. I would also suggest dedicating those tweezers to only seat-belt work.

• Like 1

Well I have completed my first ever seat-belt install. Like I said to James above: "There's definitely a learning curve, lol!! The instructions that Eduard supply in the kit are very vague to say the least!! I would suggest that all the "new modelers" like myself out there invest in a few good pairs of tweezers as seat-belts work is small, tedious and sometimes very maddening, lol!! Of course it goes without saying a good quality lighted hood is an absolute must have. I would also suggest dedicating those tweezers to only seat-belt work."

So I'll let you be the judge of my efforts :-)

A4CCD0AB-DC2C-473E-A3E8-61A517E2C9E2_zps

41242BAE-5067-4AF9-BD6E-5570BB8E106D_zps

E1891166-B8EA-4012-9D76-23AF39DE6A1A_zps

Now on the the port side of the cockpit!

• Like 5

Ralph, I know what about you talk!! :wacko:  The first time i tried to fumble those belts together and looked at the "manual" and tought: hä....what....where....could I eat this? But you did it and they looking great!!!!!!!!

Arno

• Like 1

Ralph, I know what about you talk!! :wacko:  The first time i tried to fumble those belts together and looked at the "manual" and tought: hä....what....where....could I eat this? But you did it and they looking great!!!!!!!!

Arno

Thanks Arno they had quit the learning curve but like I said once I worked my way through the first set it was smooth sailing after that but new dedicated tweezers etc are the key to success. Thanks again for the nice comment.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments. I added a oil wash to the belts last night and that further enhanced the realism!!

My question now is: after I finish the cockpit should I seal it with something??

Just me here. I normally don't seal/overcoat the cockpit.

Started the port side of the cockpit this evening and after a smooth assembly of the starboard side I ran into a slight problem.

The instructions are vague concerning the placement of parts F237 and H186. I fiddled with H186 for 15/20 minutes trying to ascertain it's placement only having to remove it once I tried to install the (throttle quadrant) H162.

Also I got ahead of myself and missed step 26 that indicates the removal of a tab allowing H162 to fit flush on C163. Once H162 and C163 were properly fitted I reinstalled H186 where I think it best fit, "fingers crossed"!

Finally I blew my brains out and called it a night, lol!!

42D68810-4EDF-42B9-AAFC-6C53DED51B9A_zps

A3616026-DCD9-4170-8FB2-88B68AD6A56E_zps

• Like 1

After recovering from yesterdays feeble attempt at scale modeling I was able to spend a few hours this morning getting myself back in the groove!

I painted, weather and chipped the port side cockpit and glued it to the port side fuselage. Once that was completed I dry fit the two fuselage half's and then stood back to admire my handy work!

Thanks to countless posts, emailed, YouTube videos etc I have advanced greatly from my recent BF110 build which pleases me to no end :-)

B5042114-1728-4F8F-84F8-A2E9CB591BE6_zps

• Like 2

Cockpit looks great, Ralph! I've been skeptical of the newer Revell kits, (mostly based on bad experiences years ago), but I'm becoming more impressed. You, among some others, have me almost convinced to pick one of these 88's up!

• Like 1

Cockpit looks great, Ralph! I've been skeptical of the newer Revell kits, (mostly based on bad experiences years ago), but I'm becoming more impressed. You, among some others, have me almost convinced to pick one of these 88's up!

You would absolutely enjoy doing the new Revell Ju88 kit. I'm not a connoisseur of scale model airplane kits however I understand the new Revell Germany kits are flying off the shelves according to my local hobby shop. Their instruction are good but can be a little vague at times! Other than that I'm sold on Revell Germany and look forward to building all their aircraft kits!

You are on a roll with this one Ralph! The cockpit just looks superb in that last shot...the belts are placed perfectly. The "chipping" around the high-wear areas is also perfect.

You are also shaming me into spending some time at my workbench this weekend. :rolleyes:

You are on a roll with this one Ralph! The cockpit just looks superb in that last shot...the belts are placed perfectly. The "chipping" around the high-wear areas is also perfect.

You are also shaming me into spending some time at my workbench this weekend. :rolleyes:

Thanks so very much. I'm definitely enjoy my new modeling skills! I look forward to the outcome! Here's a better picture of the finished cockpit :-)

4F6D2A29-43C3-421D-8342-F0CAC10DBD35_zps

• Like 3

After installing and painting the tail wheel assemble I mated the fuselage halves. The fit was perfect! After that I installed the aftermarket nose cone and underbelly fairing. The fit wasn't perfect and will require a bit of filler but all in all I was please with it.

Today I'm going to build the upper cockpit instrument panel.

68F703DE-318E-4981-8551-2FEA7EEE6D8A_zps

8658971A-9845-4B4A-8CFB-E2246ABC8324_zps

B21E1E0E-76E5-42B9-936E-4DD5643E8338_zps

09E9822B-10AA-44FB-A058-435667F336BE_zps

• Like 2

Continued on with the aftermarket nose installation. The gunners and entry hatch gondola install was a real challenge. The fit or curvature of the gondola to the fuselage was awful!!

I ended up using my shop sanding station to adjust the curve of the gondola to match the fuselage and finally had to flood any gaps with Gorilla Super Glue. After all that was dry I used good old reliable "Perfect Plastic Putty" to fill any slight gaps and a multitude of sins that remained.

After a good sanding/buffing, re-scribing panel lines I think the nose and gondola should look pretty good.

Thanks Mikester for posting pictures of your Ju88 build. it's nice to have a model to compare my work to plus I was pretty lonely, lol!!

BDDC2A33-7FCD-4B1B-B087-D287C5EB2FCD_zps

The gondola install was a real challenge!!

35053EDC-DB2F-444F-A8D8-B9AD1EE778F0_zps

After several grades of sanding I brushed on a light coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 to address any possible divots or imperfections. Once I sand and buff the Mr Surfacer I'll spray a light primer cut as James suggested before scribing to should show if any shape imperfections crept in.

7F24AED0-78C2-4B6F-AC05-557837960FC9_zps

1814CA2D-1057-423D-9FB9-FC2F2F19F026_zps

• Like 2

• Administrators

You're trailblazing this for us Ralph ;) Pisser about the fit of the resin, but it looks like you got that nailed in the end. A quick coat in primer before you scribe, should show if any shape imperfections crept in.

• Like 1

You're trailblazing this for us Ralph ;) Pisser about the fit of the resin, but it looks like you got that nailed in the end. A quick coat in primer before you scribe, should show if any shape imperfections crept in.

Thanks James that's quite the compliment! I appreciate it greatly coming from a modeler with your experience.

The resin gondola was as you said a real pisser. The curve or contour didn't come close to matching the fuselage. It had nothing to do with the removal of the mating tracks for the stock gondola as far as I could tell. Sanding them away didn't change the contour of the hull!

• Members

Welcome to the world of aftermarket resin, Ralph!  Fortunately it looks like my nose will fit fairly well so I shouldn't have the amount of filling and sanding that you had.

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of aftermarket resin, Ralph!  Fortunately it looks like my nose will fit fairly well so I shouldn't have the amount of filling and sanding that you had.

I thought so also when I dry fitted all the aftermarket parts to the fuselage.

Since this is the first kit I've done any heavy or other wise modification to I had no experience or benchmark to fall back on. Stark raving fear and apprehension was my driver, lol!!! I was so fearful that I would mess up the nose section past the point of repair.

I won a bid on eBay for a Dehavilland Mosquito and will order a nose conversion for it now that I have the a little confidence and experience working with resin.

I also ordered a set of resin tires for the Ju88 so I can model the weighted tires look which I really like.

This is really looking good, Ralph! I may take your advice and get one of these to stash away. I still have at least 4 open projects I'd like to finish, before I start another!

I'm a big fan of weighted tires, especially resin ones, as the detail is fantastic. Round kit tires always look too cartoonish to me.

• Like 1

This is really looking good, Ralph! I may take your advice and get one of these to stash away. I still have at least 4 open projects I'd like to finish, before I start another!

I'm a big fan of weighted tires, especially resin ones, as the detail is fantastic. Round kit tires always look too cartoonish to me.

Thanks for the compliment Lawman. I agree the weighted tire look is for superior to stock kit tires.

I totally understand the stash situation. I have a 1/32 DeHavilland Mosquito, a P58J Lockheed Lightning, a He111P, a Hawker Typhoon and a 1/48 HH53 Super Jolly Green, all Revell kits waiting in the wings. I have lots to keep me busy this year, lol!!