The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Nice score on Black Friday - all interesting and Evidence of a very varied modeling diet. I have three 1/48 Tamiya F-14 Tomcats in the stash and one already built and those in the stash we’re all purchased with Quinta Decal Sets as well. I’ve started an F-14A kit as I’m now on a slight hold with my Mustang waiting for painting and finishing supplies to arrive. 
I’m hoping to start a build thread today for the Tomcat as I have been tinkering with the kit on and off while in the various hold periods for the P-51.

The Nieuport does look tempting but my record with kits with two wings and rigging is: zero completed.

Thanks Peter and yes, I couldn't build only planes or armor all the time. I like to pick my personal cherries in the modelling world. 
I would love to see you wip the Tomcat build, naturally with my new kid in stash, no matter mine is a -D.
The Nieuport looks great in the box and rigging is not too bad on these planes. Actually, I like rigging. I've considered starting my huge WNW AEG night bomber as a winter project, but not sooner as new year. In the moment I started with the cockpit of the ZM Kai Phantom.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5

Rob

Got ya and completely agree - verity is the key to keep the juices flowing. My stash is two F-14A's and on F-14D. Fifteen minutes from my house is the Grumman Memorial Park in Calverton and on display (outdoors -yuk the birds have a field day) is a F-14A and an A-6E Tram and a Phoenix AIM, and there never is a lack of inspiration when needed.

Did I miss your ZM F4 Kai Phantom build? Sure hope not.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Got ya and completely agree - verity is the key to keep the juices flowing. My stash is two F-14A's and on F-14D. Fifteen minutes from my house is the Grumman Memorial Park in Calverton and on display (outdoors -yuk the birds have a field day) is a F-14A and an A-6E Tram and a Phoenix AIM, and there never is a lack of inspiration when needed.

You didn't miss a beat Peter, I only started the Kai Phantom yesterday. I'm not at my best in the moment and have a bit of a hard time to force me to the bench. So I haven't planned on a WIP and I don't think, a 48 scale Phantom would raise much interest.
That is where I am at the moment. I painted the tub and gloss coated everything for the superb kit decals, which still look glossy, as they are not sealed and still drying.
I like the look, no need for a Quinta set and once coated, looking better than flat PE :2c:.

IMG_9544.thumb.JPG.b3e87230f64f4b6377d79d45045b87b3.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, DocRob said:

You didn't miss a beat Peter, I only started the Kai Phantom yesterday. I'm not at my best in the moment and have a bit of a hard time to force me to the bench. So I haven't planned on a WIP and I don't think, a 48 scale Phantom would raise much interest.
That is where I am at the moment. I painted the tub and gloss coated everything for the superb kit decals, which still look glossy, as they are not sealed and still drying

Rob, I really enjoyed the ZM F4 except the spraying etc because I always balls it up……we need another WIP……

• Like 3

While not new to the industry, here are a few new purchases that are new to me:

uzVC4vpl.jpg

nYHSAILl.jpg

And those of the decals were bad in the kit so I got these:

JZmSxmjl.jpg

Next was a kit that was on my radar for some time:

TMlSITFl.jpg

The kits detail on the engine ir great, so I wanted to model it separate. Here is the replacement for the engine in the build:

I3CjBWol.jpg

And since the kit has no pilot, this addition was a must:

Z0kpHYRl.jpg

Last, but definitely not the least was a great buy on this kit:

v8ZWHLLl.jpg

Well I guess that was not the last, this is:

yelrDPMl.jpg

Happy holidays everyone!

Ben

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Just picked up this large-scale Stug from Das Werk in 1/16. I noticed that

also has the Takom label on it being some sort of joint venture. Looks like a good one

I always thought Das Werk kits were Takom ones but without interiors? I could be wrong though.... i usually am :)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Rob

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Peter, you must be near the Brookhaven lab then? I went there 25 plus years ago on a research visit and had a quiet afternoon wandering round the Calverton cemetery which seems to be just across the highway from the Grumman park. Don't think it was there then or maybe I just missed it!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, GusMac said:

Hi Peter, you must be near the Brookhaven lab then? I went there 25 plus years ago on a research visit and had a quiet afternoon wandering round the Calverton cemetery which seems to be just across the highway from the Grumman park. Don't think it was there then or maybe I just missed it!

Gus

Less then ten to fifteen minutes depending on traffic! The island has certainly changed the past 25 years and IMO not for the better - way too much traffic and congestion but that's progress.

Peter

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DocRob said:

That is where I am at the moment. I painted the tub and gloss coated everything for the superb kit decals, which still look glossy, as they are not sealed and still drying.
I like the look, no need for a Quinta set and once coated, looking better than flat PE :2c:.

IMG_9544.thumb.JPG.b3e87230f64f4b6377d79d45045b87b3.JPG

Cheers Rob

Rob

The front office is looking mighty good. When I built my Tamiya 1/48 Phantom a few months ago, the views and posts picked up to a high fever and the time I looked, it was over 8k views!  I'm really starting to believe their is a solid interest in 48th scale here on the forum. I'm absolutely in the camp and ready to take a seat to follow your build.

I still have my ZM F4J to finish up this winter as well and I'm feeling it in my bones, following your build will get it back on the bench sooner then I'm planning

Peter

• Like 5

On 12/18/2021 at 3:16 PM, DRUMS01 said:

While not new to the industry, here are a few new purchases that are new to me:

uzVC4vpl.jpg

nYHSAILl.jpg

And those of the decals were bad in the kit so I got these:

JZmSxmjl.jpg

Happy holidays everyone!

Ben

Ben, nice score on the Auntie Ju!  I'm surprised this subject isn't modeled more, as the aircraft was so versatile and used in so many ways (and for years, I believe was used as a commercial plane in some countries).  The corrugated exterior is a cool look too.  When I decided to start building model planes, this was one of the first I bought for the stash (now I have two).  You probably have seen, but you can get a lot of goodies for this kit, including a number of sets from CMK for the engine (4044) interior (4043) and exterior (4061).  Eduard also has a bunch of neat looking PE sets, including one that allows you to add a number of seats in the interior if you want to dress it up.  Master X also sells conversion kits to make it a float plane and a ski plane.  I managed to find both sets after a lot of searching, so maybe I need a third kit to do the base version and then the float and ski versions 🙄  

Looking forward to seeing this one come alive in your skilled hands!  Happy holidays!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1