The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Got this today; A circle cutter from DSPIAand I must say I'm impressed

with its quality! Unlike what I had seen in the reviews, I'm happy to say that mine came

mostly assembled; requiring only placing the rubber pads on the bottom and screwing

in the cutter holder. The instructions, however, are lacking; they don't explain what thicknesses the three color-coded cutters should be used for. I'm sure that can easily

be figured out. The tool is a bit pricey, but once you get this thing in your hands, you'll

understand why. It's built like a tank and the cutter turns on a precision bearing. Most

Impressive!.  I haven't used it yet, but look forward to cutting masks for the many

wheels on those tank projects. This tool is said to have a range from 1 mm to 50 mm

circles.

DSCN0521.JPG

DSCN0520.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Got this today; A circle cutter from DSPIAand I must say I'm impressed

with its quality! Unlike what I had seen in the reviews, I'm happy to say that mine came

mostly assembled; requiring only placing the rubber pads on the bottom and screwing

in the cutter holder. The instructions, however, are lacking; they don't explain what thicknesses the three color-coded cutters should be used for. I'm sure that can easily

be figured out. The tool is a bit pricey, but once you get this thing in your hands, you'll

understand why. It's built like a tank and the cutter turns on a precision bearing. Most

Impressive!.  I haven't used it yet, but look forward to cutting masks for the many

wheels on those tank projects. This tool is said to have a range from 1 mm to 50 mm

circles.

DSCN0521.JPG

DSCN0520.JPG

It's a great tool. I've had one since they first came out. There's an add-on that lets you cut concentric circles with the same centre point. So it's easy to make roundels.

Carl

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

It's a great tool. I've had one since they first came out. There's an add-on that lets you cut concentric circles with the same centre point. So it's easy to make roundels.

Carl

Thanks.

The color coded cutters are for the angles of the cutter blades apparently, the blue for the thinnest materials, the red the thickest. That center finder is on my next purchase list!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Their tools are pricey but definitely worth it. The sprue cutters I got a while back are just so neat and leave a cut that needs hardly any clean up.

Yes, pricey but worth it. I just ordered their center locator for the circle cutter. I had

A hard time finding this online as most were sold out. I found one for $ 12.00 U.S..

One website listed this for $ 47.00 ! I'll have a look at their cutters.

• Like 3

Their sprue cutters are very nice but don't drop them. They're easily broken if dropped. I snapped off one tip after dropping them. I ended up grinding down the other side to match and they're now usable but a bit short. I keep them for back up after replacing them. 

They're also sold by Meng but are the same piece. Sometimes the Meng ones work out to be cheaper. 

Carl

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Their sprue cutters are very nice but don't drop them. They're easily broken if dropped. I snapped off one tip after dropping them. I ended up grinding down the other side to match and they're now usable but a bit short. I keep them for back up after replacing them. 

They're also sold by Meng but are the same piece. Sometimes the Meng ones work out to be cheaper. 

Carl

Thanks I'll have a look at those. I use the Tamiya cutters and this nipper I found

on Amazon, works great on small parts.

image.png.3bf8f1e940d2bf1d6cc43e3a14352bf8.png

Stainless Steel 4-1/2" 15A Plastic Sprue Wire Cutting Tweezers Jewelry Making Repair TT

https://pmcsupplies.com/4-1-2-15a-cutting-tweezers-plastic-sprue-and-copper-wire-cutters.html

c

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

No, I only paid about $12.00 for mine definitely not that much!

Here's a link:

https://pmcsupplies.com/4-1-2-15a-cutting-tweezers-plastic-sprue-and-copper-wire-cutters.hh

At this price, I just ordered another one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Thank you for the link, I was quite blown away by the Amazon price tag. :)

Yes, definitely some kind of misprint there. In my Amazon order history I paid $ 12.95

On the Micro mark website they have one for about $19.00. If I remember correctly, having ordered one of theirs years ago, it is smaller than the one in my link.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Dana Bell's latest book arrived today. 

Love the book series title……always remember years ago I went to a model railway exhibition, I think it’s the only one I’ve been to. Two guys actually came to blows over how many rivets there should have been or not in a loco tender that someone had scratch built……..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1