The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Finally got my Cheetah conversion from Scaleworx.

PXL_20220601_194059257.thumb.jpg.2c2d11aaa60c28e9d434b1dd1aad33b4.jpg

Took a while but it's not like I was worried the stash was going to run out. 

Nice i have orderd the D and E conversion.

Mark

Some recent arrivals:

First, from GasPatch Models came this nice pair of .50 Browning M2 guns in 1/35.

They're beautiful ! The only problem is that they are molded to feed from the right. Some

minor file work will change that, and it won't be noticeable when finished.

Also, from Archer came their M8 Armored Car instruments and placards for Tamiya kit

#53228 (AR35521) in 1/35.  Some tiny decals!

Today came Tamiya's  Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F in 1/35. I haven't looked in the

box yet, but I've heard good things about this kit. Update: I looked in the

box. One seriously small tank but otherwise looks great! It's nicely molded

with link and length tracks and a photo-etch  piece. Another update; Just

ordered a set from Star Decals for the little Panzer 38. The set offers

some camouflage schemes for this tank. Looks interesting.

DSCN0638_kindlephoto-142427124.jpg

DSCN0641_kindlephoto-142325626.jpg

DSCN0637_kindlephoto-142361698.jpg

srd35c1248_kindlephoto-28703.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Today is a perfect day, not only because I have birthday, but my much loved wife made me a very special present, The HMS Sphinx kit from Vanguard models.
Why is that so extremely special, besides from the fantastic kit? My wife approves my modelling hobby, but she doesn't support it in any way. It's an absolute first, that I received a model related present from her.
What's to say, I'm a happy man and after finishing the Duchess of Kingston as a modelling midshipman, this will be my 'post' ship build with ranks.

Cheers Rob

IMG_0142.thumb.JPG.0ccaa028fa59dc46712abb84e41c470c.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Today is a perfect day, not only because I have birthday, but my much loved wife made me a very special present, The HMS Sphinx kit from Vanguard models.
Why is that so extremely special, besides from the fantastic kit? My wife approves my modelling hobby, but she doesn't support it in any way. It's an absolute first, that I received a model related present from her.
What's to say, I'm a happy man and after finishing the Duchess of Kingston as a modelling midshipman, this will be my 'post' ship build with ranks.

Cheers Rob

Happy birthday Rob! Looks like a wonderful gift. I hope you share the build with us!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, harv said:

Awesome  ! And Happy Birthday  !!....harv

11 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Happy birthday Rob! Looks like a wonderful gift. I hope you share the build with us!

Muchas gracias, amigos, I had a great day yesterday, exploring the deserted parts of our island with the open topped Jeep, having a picnic in the wilderness and a great dinner in the night. 

I will make a WIP about Sphinx, but first I have to finish the Duchess of Kingston and then some other kits. Maybe next winter will be a good time to start. With such a project, it's good to have some coherent time, at least until in the groove with the build.

Cheers Rob

A landmark of my island, visited yesterday

IMG_E0110.thumb.JPG.d1deaf42b933fef0e52bd81e96e83ca6.JPG

...and a happy dog with us.

IMG_E0126.thumb.JPG.74297f8ea70d0ce812212bdfa79392bc.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DocRob said:

Muchas gracias, amigos, I had a great day yesterday, exploring the deserted parts of our island with the open topped Jeep, having a picnic in the wilderness and a great dinner in the night. 

I will make a WIP about Sphinx, but first I have to finish the Duchess of Kingston and then some other kits. Maybe next winter will be a good time to start. With such a project, it's good to have some coherent time, at least until in the groove with the build.

Cheers Rob

A landmark of my island, visited yesterday

IMG_E0110.thumb.JPG.d1deaf42b933fef0e52bd81e96e83ca6.JPG

...and a happy dog with us.

IMG_E0126.thumb.JPG.74297f8ea70d0ce812212bdfa79392bc.JPG

Could you say this place is a tad windy ;) ?

Hubert

• Like 9

On 6/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Happy B-day 

Nice to see a gift like that.

Never tryd a wooden ship but i like the end result

Looking forward to a wip

Mark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Rob

Happy Birthday my friend and yes you are a lucky man.  I'm assuming your 'post ship build', you will be treating us to working your magic with the

HMS Sphinx. Looking forward to the adventure and will be along for he journey. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 5/26/2022 at 1:47 PM, Bomber_County said:

Fran, be great to see a WIP of the Ju87, never seen a Border one built up……

I working on a brief review....

It is on my pile to do soon as another 10.... 🙄but when I started I will put some wip pics...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still don’t understand why Border went for 1/35 rather than 1/32…

For those who think the size difference is inconsequential, a 1/35 kit occupies only 76 % of the volume of the same 1/32 one …

Hubert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 4:13 AM, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Happy Birthday. Rob!  Glad you had a great time and got a model!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mark31 said:

Happy B-day 

Nice to see a gift like that.

Never tryd a wooden ship but i like the end result

Looking forward to a wip

Thank you Mark, you should try a wooden ship. With your abilities and patience you will easily adopt. Wood is a great material to work with, lots of fun guaranteed.

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Happy birthday Rob! 

Glad to see you had a great time and another nice ship kit. Even better that your wife got it for you

Thank yo Carl, the best about it was indeed the change of mind by my wife, priceless.

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Happy Birthday my friend and yes you are a lucky man.  I'm assuming your 'post ship build', you will be treating us to working your magic with the

HMS Sphinx. Looking forward to the adventure and will be along for he journey. 

Thank you Peter my friend, indeed the HMS Sphinx will make me Captain when finished. Until know, I'm deeply impressed how much bigger and well filled the box is. This will be a lot bigger workload than the DoK, I guess. The way to a post can't be too easy ;).

11 hours ago, Fran said:

Happy Birthday Rod!!! Have a great one!

Thank you Fran, I had indeed a great one :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HubertB said:

Could you say this place is a tad windy ;) ?

Yup, this is a windy part of my often windy island. We have two landmark trees here, one is set in a natural stone pool in the mountains and reflects the old technique to sample and collect water from the clouds, which was vital on my island, as there are no natural sources. 
The one on the picture represents the strength of nature and people here to resist bad conditions. The wind shaped form of these trees made them un useful for ship building purposes luckily.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Happy Birthday. Rob!  Glad you had a great time and got a model!

Thank you Gary, I had a great day and yes, receiving a model kit from my wife was very special to me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HubertB said:

I still don’t understand why Border went for 1/35 rather than 1/32…

For those who think the size difference is inconsequential, a 1/35 kit occupies only 76 % of the volume of the same 1/32 one …

The sales will tell, if Border made the right decision. You are absolutely right about the size difference of the seemingly close appearing scales, but what are we talking about? There are two kits, well represented by other companies in 32 scale and there are some builders out there, who think about dio possibilities with 35 scale gear and figures.
I have to admit, I'm one of them, but until now, the right idea for a setting had not struck me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Thank you Mark, you should try a wooden ship. With your abilities and patience you will easily adopt. Wood is a great material to work with, lots of fun guaranteed.

Thank yo Carl, the best about it was indeed the change of mind by my wife, priceless.

Thank you Peter my friend, indeed the HMS Sphinx will make me Captain when finished. Until know, I'm deeply impressed how much bigger and well filled the box is. This will be a lot bigger workload than the DoK, I guess. The way to a post can't be too easy ;).

Thank you Fran, I had indeed a great one :D.

Cheers Rob

Any tips for a beginner for a wooden ship?

What type to start with?

Thanks

Mark

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mark31 said:

Any tips for a beginner for a wooden ship?

What type to start with?

That's hard to say, there are many thoughts to consider. As a beginner the most important aspect to me is a well designed and documented kit. It's also helpful to chose a popular kit, as there are many build logs to learn from. Good materials, being it wood, resin, metal and yarn  are helpful.
I once started with an Artesania Latina kit of the Cutter Le Renard many years ago, but haven't finished, because now I'm in a phase with the build, where you have to drill, sand, align, ... the gunports. It's not undoable, but difficult to get right and boring.
With my actual build the Duchess of Kingston, it's completely different. Good materials, a well designed kit with many prepared parts makes live so easy, that I overlooked my goal to build smaller vessels in larger scales preferable. In her case the gunports, to stay with that example are laser cut and the three layers of bulwark fit perfectly even after the necessary bending. The later added decorations are fitting also perfect, so only a little cleanup is needed.
I can highly recommend the kits from Chris Wattons Vanguard models. Another option is to build a fishing boat or a tug boat, which spares the rigging. I eyed the Fifie fishing boat from Amati for my purpose, as it's well designed (Chris Wattons work too) and is in 32 scale. I will buy the kit for sure and may build it in a used and weathered look, not seen too often in wooden ship models.
These are only some thoughts about the subject, which I hope where of a little help.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DocRob said:

That's hard to say, there are many thoughts to consider. As a beginner the most important aspect to me is a well designed and documented kit. It's also helpful to chose a popular kit, as there are many build logs to learn from. Good materials, being it wood, resin, metal and yarn  are helpful.
I once started with an Artesania Latina kit of the Cutter Le Renard many years ago, but haven't finished, because now I'm in a phase with the build, where you have to drill, sand, align, ... the gunports. It's not undoable, but difficult to get right and boring.
With my actual build the Duchess of Kingston, it's completely different. Good materials, a well designed kit with many prepared parts makes live so easy, that I overlooked my goal to build smaller vessels in larger scales preferable. In her case the gunports, to stay with that example are laser cut and the three layers of bulwark fit perfectly even after the necessary bending. The later added decorations are fitting also perfect, so only a little cleanup is needed.
I can highly recommend the kits from Chris Wattons Vanguard models. Another option is to build a fishing boat or a tug boat, which spares the rigging. I eyed the Fifie fishing boat from Amati for my purpose, as it's well designed (Chris Wattons work too) and is in 32 scale. I will buy the kit for sure and may build it in a used and weathered look, not seen too often in wooden ship models.
These are only some thoughts about the subject, which I hope where of a little help.

Cheers Rob 

thanks for all the info

i found a shop here its a 30 min drive

i will stop there and ask for some info there for a good starter kit.

Mark

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mark31 said:

thanks for all the info

Let us know about the results. I forgot to recommend double planking. It's much easier to get the outer decorative planking right, with a structural lower planking under it.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mark31 said:

thanks for all the info

Mark

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Let us know about the results. I forgot to recommend double planking. It's much easier to get the outer decorative planking right, with a structural lower planking under it.

Cheers Rob

Whatever you choose Mark, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you go on Modelshipworld and read the beginners’ advices there.

Even more important - compulsory IMHO - is to read the « banned manufacturers » article on the kit section. There are unfortunately a lot of pirates in this business, mostly from the Far East, who unashamedly copy the work of others, like Chris Watton’s. Better not give them some of our hard-earned cash. And some websites devoted to the hobby unfortunately support this piracy, which has none of the charm of « Pirates of the Carribean ».

Hubert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Thanks and will do

50 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Whatever you choose Mark, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you go on Modelshipworld and read the beginners’s advices there.

Even more important - compulsory IMHO - is to read the « banned manufacturers » article on the kit section. There are unfortunately a lot of pirates in this business, mostly from the Far East, who unashamedly copy the work of others, like Chris Watton’s. Better not give them some of our hard-earned cash. And some websites devoted to the hobby unfortunately support this piracy, which has none of the charm of « Pirates of the Carribean ».

Hubert

Thanks for the info wil vissit the site.

Mark

• Like 2