The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

I will change the subject to 'What I will not get anymore', because of recent events. Since years I'm using Tamiya fine rattle can primer and while testing others found it the best stuff on the market and the rattle can is convenient because it reduces the times I have to clean my airbrush from very aggressive stuff.

These days are gone, The Spanish post told me on two occasions, that it is prohibited to transport rattle cans in our small island hopping airplanes, which carry the mail. These last two deliveries were stopped in Tenerife and returned to Germany without informing me, even the tracking was not updated, que service :wacko:.

Since there is no source for the primer on Tenerife for me to be bought there and brought home via ferry, I have to find other solutions. It feels like loosing an old friend and trustee, albeit a stinking one :nuke:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I will change the subject to 'What I will not get anymore', because of recent events. Since years I'm using Tamiya fine rattle can primer and while testing others found it the best stuff on the market and the rattle can is convenient because it reduces the times I have to clean my airbrush from very aggressive stuff.

These days are gone, The Spanish post told me on two occasions, that it is prohibited to transport rattle cans in our small island hopping airplanes, which carry the mail. These last two deliveries were stopped in Tenerife and returned to Germany without informing me, even the tracking was not updated, que service :wacko:.

Since there is no source for the primer on Tenerife for me to be bought there and brought home via ferry, I have to find other solutions. It feels like loosing an old friend and trustee, albeit a stinking one :nuke:.

Cheers Rob

Awe, Rob.................. that sucks, although I'm not really surprised, it's the same here in Canada.....seems they won't ship (fly) any of that sort of compressed air /paint stuff, internationally, but they will domestically, they use the guise of 'dangerous goods', internationally, but don't give a poop domestically..... or so it seems.... i feel your pain my friend................ and thanks for the kind words, yeah it's 'large scale' alright.....LOL!!

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Ernie, that's an oddball kit of an oddball airframe! Looks interesting though and nice to see someone making these weird Italian birds.

Rob, I look for the obscure, then beg Martin and Ivan the research it, then attempt to build it.  It’s a fun hobby, right?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

This is completely ludicrous...

I'm in Shipping and Transport, and the risk of a single aerosol can bringing down an Aircraft is many factors below negligible; at about the risk level of any number of the Deodorant cans on board your average flight randomly detonating for no apparent reason.

You are far more likely to have the Aircraft brought down because a First Officer on $8000 US salary per annum with only 200 hours flight time experience is at the controls, and hasn't familiarised himself with the specific systems of the type he's flying.

• Like 7

On 3/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Rob, you can get their primer in bottles. 

IMG_20190324_213325-L.jpg

The grey is available too. Hopefully those won't be banned from being shipped to you. 

Carl

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks Carl, I know, but as I use mostly acrylics in the airbrush, I try to reduce the amount of spaying more aggressive stuff through my airbrushes. It seems there is no way around, I will use my worst airbrush for priming in the future.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

IMG_20190324_213325-L.jpg

The grey is available too. Hopefully those won't be banned from being shipped to you. 

Carl

Carl can you spray this though the AB?

Ryan

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Hmmmm.

I thought I tried that years ago and it was a huge mess,

Will try again though, however the spray bomb stuff is hard to beat.

"Spray bomb" is the term we ALL use.................. maybe the boffins at customsB) thinks we are shipping 'bombs' and that's why Poor Rob can't get his primer?? :rofl:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

"Spray bomb" is the term we ALL use.................. maybe the boffins at customsB) thinks we are shipping 'bombs' and that's why Poor Rob can't get his primer?? :rofl:

Back in '93 I was leaving Tokyo and had bought a number of Airsoft guns. Security there X-rays your suitcase before you check it in.  I knew mine was going to get extra scrutiny so I didn't lock it. The guard goes through it and finds a spray can. He asks me in English "Bomb?" Probably one word you don't want to hear in an airport. Anyways I say yes, he comes back with a form completely in Japanese and asks me to sign it. I do and my suitcase is good to go. 

Still have no idea if I signed away my first born or not. :D

Carl

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Carl, I know, but as I use mostly acrylics in the airbrush, I try to reduce the amount of spaying more aggressive stuff through my airbrushes. It seems there is no way around, I will use my worst airbrush for priming in the future.

Cheers Rob 

Rob, i use two different airbrushes, one for solvent base paints and on for acrylics. I never had any issues with my H&S airbrushes regarding solvent based thinners. The only time i had problems was the time i used solvent based paint after i used acrylics in the same airbrush, these go's in conflict with each other when residue is still dried up inside an airbrush, cellulose thinner just eat's up everything except for the seals of the airbrush, they are doing just fine for years now.

2 hours ago, DannyVM said:

Rob, i use two different airbrushes, one for solvent base paints and on for acrylics

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I'm with Danny, I use lacquers all the time in my H&S.

You guys got me here, I'm to whimpyish in that concern. I take the stuff into my lungs, at least through a protective mask and I'm concerned about my heavy metal and industrial strength plastic sealed airbrushes :rofl:. I normally use H&S airbrushes like you, Danny and never had issues with them.

I will give it a try with one of my beloved vintage Rotring airbrushes and a not too small nozzle. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Nice booth. Too bad you don't have room to actually paint in it ...LOL

No pic, but I recieved my replacement 2 seat HO229  conversion from Volks today ! Now back to work.....harv :D

• Like 5

Had a packed day yesterday going to Heritagecon at CWHM. It was my first time and I brought the boys along. I've posted some of the Lanc pics in Ernie's build thread. 

The boys got a bunch of free stuff. I think people were happy to see young 'uns interested in the hobby. There were some ok deals for adults and I ended up getting an Eduard 109E for $40 CAD

IMG_20190324_215422-L.jpg

We ended up at the LHS afterwards where I picked up a Cylon Raider. It's 1/32 so the right scale. 

IMG_20190324_215405-L.jpg

This thing is much bigger than I expected. Here's the centre section next to a HK B-25 wing

IMG_20190324_215456-L.jpg

Carl

• Like 4

Mail lady delivered this little package from Toronto. Thank You Carl !!!

If you following my famous " Beaufighter thread ", you already know that I used spare parts from Tamiya Mosquito, however I messed up one wheel and Carl immediately pitched in , sending a set of rims from his own otherwise untouched Mosquito. Thank You again Buddy.:unworthy:

Awesome juice! :)

UBOU9624.jpg.79008cd1bf46525cc2351ff241b21267.jpg

• Like 6