The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Dave - I'd love to hear more about the properties. How durable? Is it buffable? Recommended clear coats?

Matt,

With Both Ki-44's, I started with primer coat of Mr Surfacer and then started to paint everything with the SM04 Super Stainless from memory? Once all was dried, Panels were mask off with Tamiya Tape.. and the process was repeated till I was happy. Removing the tape... I only had one small area lift up on me, like your P-47.

Buffable - yes, I have used Tamiya polishes on it and no problems. Never tried a Dremel on it thou..

Clear coats... Both Ki-44's were out of the bottle and weathered using oil washes.. No clear coats were applied to either of them... I have used Mr Color Clear and Alclad clears on them for other projects and had no issues either...

• Like 1

Silly question Dave, what's the difference between this and the Mr Metal Colour I have in stock, are they more buffable than the Mr Metal Colour? Or are they the same but for the name?

I must confess that I find the way Gunze Sangyo name and organise their products somewhat confusing and I haven't quite got a hang of it yet.

I am not sure the difference Grant. One of my workmates used that Mr Metal stuff on a P-47, and he had major peeling when removing masking tape. I have never used it so I don't know if he did something wrong.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that from anyone else Dave but I'll watch for that - probably needs a clear coat over it to seal it in as such.

I do know a number of people use the Dark Iron for engines and, instead of dry brushing, they just rub a finger (wrapped in a soft cloth or not) over the high points and that achieves a very good, highlighted, motor. Obviously, that needs a clear coat afterwards to avoid it being continually "polished" each time it's handled but I'm told it's very good stuff - also other "metals" for the jet nozzles etc - it gives you as much or as little shine as you want.

Guest styrenedemon

Really nice sucker there. Almost a must on anything that big I'd say. Will be interested to see how you handle the painting. 

• 2 weeks later...

What I just ordered. I have had Revell's Arado 196 for a while now. Started it briefly about a year ago. The desire just wasn't there at the time. I love this kit and the recent example posted made me want to start it again with more enthusiasm. Then I saw this and it made my heart skip a beat.

HPH32004Catapult-AradoAr196_zpseb0d1691.

So, it is on it's way and I will build both in between the Great War GB's. This should be fun. Next up is this company's resin canopy for the Ar 196.

Paul

• Like 3

The Night Attack F/A-18 is difficult to get over here now .. I searched most of the market over here and still couldn't find one.  Nice catch Matt, I've got the Red Devils version in stock which, if the Night Attack is anywhere close to the quality of the Red Devils then it looks like a great kit.

What I just ordered. I have had Revell's Arado 196 for a while now. Started it briefly about a year ago. The desire just wasn't there at the time. I love this kit and the recent example posted made me want to start it again with more enthusiasm. Then I saw this and it made my heart skip a beat.

HPH32004Catapult-AradoAr196_zpseb0d1691.

So, it is on it's way and I will build both in between the Great War GB's. This should be fun. Next up is this company's resin canopy for the Ar 196.

Paul

very cool!  I have this kit as well and will be watching.  When I finish my last Jug, I may just join in the fun with you.  at least on the catapult.

lots of threading for the "railing" with little tiny pieces.  straight forward nothing too complex, just time consuming.   When you start looking for decals for dials look at corner of instruction page, they're printed on paper. :)

• Like 2

very cool!  I have this kit as well and will be watching.  When I finish my last Jug, I may just join in the fun with you.  at least on the catapult.

lots of threading for the "railing" with little tiny pieces.  straight forward nothing too complex, just time consuming.   When you start looking for decals for dials look at corner of instruction page, they're printed on paper. :)

I've always fancied this with the Arado - watched too many black and white movies such as Sink the Bismark and Battle of the River Plate which go the interest going I suppose.

Nice combination.

This Great War GB has obviously got me thinking I needed more research and general knowledge sources:

These arrived yesterday and today ... they may not be definitive but they'll certainly help me understand the difference between an Albatros D.III and a D.V or D.Vc even:

The Terry Treadwell book is very interesting indeed, more in depth with details of the various German & Austro-Hungarian aircraft by listing the dimensions, armament, engine type and capacity plus a chapter dedicated to the story of the maker and the relationships between them (i.e. one building for another etc)  - it enough for my needs anyway.

31f15e35ea61dec1df30192a4aaffff0_zps3612

d2759978a231745b0adb51f4b9b67235_zps73b3

e7a0e7e227799cb71f22296517287c5e_zpsac43

Can't wait!!

• 2 weeks later...

What I just got. I have a couple of Williams Brothers scale engines. They are nice and plan to do a 80 HP LeRhone to go with my Sopwith Pup for the GW group build. Today I got this Haswegawa 1/8 110 HP Oberursel URII. This is a MUCH better kit as far as molding goes. Very happy. They also make a 1/8 Clerget that I will eventually buy. Now all I need is a WNW Fokker DR1 to go with it. What other planes used this engine? Can anybody help?

DSC_0520_zps88427baa.jpg

DSC_0522_zps122c83b5.jpg

Paul