Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Dave J

Soo.... What did you just get???

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Rog, you will LOVE that compressor and tank, I've had one for years and it works like a charm............... what cheap airbrushes are they and where did you get them?

Hey Jeff ... The single unit is a "Dynamic Power" one ... just like the Compressor and tank ... The other is called VidaXL ... Obviously haven't tried them yet ... but apart from books and model kits ... everything was bought off a site here in Australia called My Deal. A whole bunch of different stores - on the one site ... kind of like a budget mini Amazon or e-Bay.

Rog :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what ever reason ... I forgot to post this last night!! ...

 

And now ... we get to the GOOD story.

Every now and then ... you come across one of those bargains ...

Where the seller either doesn't know the value of what he/she has ... or really just doesn't give a rats.

... And for whatever reason - No-one else has seen it!

 

Well ... every week or two I jump onto e-Bay and run a couple of searches ... 

Sometimes for kits or other stuff I'd like ... sometimes to see what some of my rarer kits will sell for ... other times looking for Classics books.

 

For the last little while I've been monitoring several sellers with the Me.262 4 Volume set. Going rate is about $800-$1000 AUD plus postage.

A couple have sold ... and a couple more sellers have listed theirs.

 

Bear in mind ... these values are in AUD ... not USD.

 

Then ... about 2 weeks ago I saw an auction lot on e-Bay ...

The ad reads: "Assorted books on the Messerschmitt Me.262"

The thumbnail picture shows a bundle of books - and there, buried at the bottom ... are the 4 Volumes of the Classics Pubs set!!

 

1ycCMPu.jpg

 

No bids ... at opening $250 ... The seller is based near Sydney ...

Listed as "Collection only" with less than 4 days to go ...

 

I'm thinking ... it can't hurt to ask, right? ... So why is he not offering postage? ...

Well - all of these books will add up to - like 9Kg - which will make postage costs HUGE! ... Calculated at about $36!!!

Oh really? ... well ... If your prepared to pack 'em each individually in double bubble wrap and send a sturdy box to Perth ... I'm in for the cost.

You only have to send the 4 Classics books too ... 

I was really hoping to move the lot though, he says ... no worries - What will you accept?

Well if I can just get the starting bid I'll be happy!

 

Tell you what, I said ... How about I give you $300 exact ... you can keep the additional books and resell if you want ... and if the postage costs you less than $50 by the time you've packed everything you've made more than your original $250 asking.

 

Deal!! ... But I'm sending you the lot ... Well ... okay then ... if you must :rolleyes:

 

So today this arrived:

 

meNthe3.jpg

 

FfVEIvi.jpg

 

Q5RyJcr.jpg

 

8OBhemy.jpg

 

H6RyOhL.jpg

 

bXIhZ6D.jpg

 

CY2WiT5.jpg

 

EC88MYb.jpg

 

1jNZ2bP.jpg

 

And now ... they are happy sitting with the rest of the family :)

 

utGlifk.jpg

 

Happily ever after ...

 

Rog :)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Rog, I’m sure if you’ve done so yet, but if your going full bore new bench area, consider HobbyZone organizers.   It was the best thing I ever did. I spent a few hundred dubious  (so I thought) dollars, and assembled an area that actually keeps this notorious clutterbug semi organized. 

Mis en place, as they say.  

But have no fear. I’m still a slob. They haven’t invented organizers for everything else yet. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Hs-129 book is hardcover and 200 pages of very cool stories, pics, and drawings. 

The book is priced at a hundred dollars and I think it’s money well spent. 

I figured it’s worth it, especially with the new ZM kit on the way. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this ancient old dog. This is a stock pic. Mine’s still in my F-250 waiting for the coast to be clear.........

5BECF80F-E2A6-4FCB-943F-915F3C6E8E4B.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

That Hs-129 book is hardcover and 200 pages of very cool stories, pics, and drawings. 

The book is priced at a hundred dollars and I think it’s money well spent. 

I figured it’s worth it, especially with the new ZM kit on the way. 

If I’m not mistaken that’s the new Chandos Publications Version ... an update of the old Classics one? ...  I’ve got it ... can’t quite justify $500 odd on the original collectable!!

Rog :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

...!Mine’s still in my F-250 waiting for the coast to be clear.........

At least it’s not a 200 scale ... better chance of hiding a pool being craned into the back yard!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Hey Rog, I’m sure if you’ve done so yet, but if your going full bore new bench area, consider HobbyZone organizers.   It was the best thing I ever did. I spent a few hundred dubious  (so I thought) dollars, and assembled an area that actually keeps this notorious clutterbug semi organized. 

Mis en place, as they say.  

But have no fear. I’m still a slob. They haven’t invented organizers for everything else yet. 

Looked at em ... not sure about pulling the trigger just yet! Though I’ve got SOME organising to do ... that’s for sure!

Rog :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

At least it’s not a 200 scale ... better chance of hiding a pool being craned into the back yard!!

Ummmmm,

It IS 1/200 scale. Over 5 ft long. She’s gonna chimp out and I’ll be sleeping in the doghouse. 

For a year.

 

541F7D77-D2DA-4DF4-BE31-01D6DE01607B.jpeg

It is set up to take R/C, but obviously, that’s not our bag here.   It needs a huge amount of detailing to make it viable for today, but what’s there is decent enough.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ummmmm,

It IS 1/200 scale. Over 5 ft long. She’s gonna chimp out and I’ll be sleeping in the doghouse. 

For a year.

Aww crap ... I’m on my phone and the original thumbnail was too small to see ... good luck!! ... be good to do a Space Battleship Yamato conversion!! :D

Rog :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

And this ancient old dog. This is a stock pic. Mine’s still in my F-250 waiting for the coast to be clear.........

5BECF80F-E2A6-4FCB-943F-915F3C6E8E4B.jpeg

It`s 1/200 scale Nichimo Yamato?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ummmmm,

It IS 1/200 scale. Over 5 ft long. She’s gonna chimp out and I’ll be sleeping in the doghouse. 

For a year.

 

541F7D77-D2DA-4DF4-BE31-01D6DE01607B.jpeg

It is set up to take R/C, but obviously, that’s not our bag here.   It needs a huge amount of detailing to make it viable for today, but what’s there is decent enough.

Just saw it!!! Now that a a really good oldie!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok ... so ... back to models ...

 

Today a LARGE parcel arrived from Model Hobbies in UK ...

 

O6UNBxu.jpg

 

With a few kits inside :D

 

First ... The rather decent Fw-190 ... "Sturmbock" edition ... I didn't get the Hasegawa version of this so it's the only Sturmbock in the stash.

 

nLh2RjQ.jpg

 

Then the (apparently) "better-than-Trumpeter" Me.262A ... we'll see ...

 

COKaxf3.jpg

 

Next ... another Mirage ... RAAF Decals - BUT different time period :D

Decals are from 1983, whereas the Italeri kit I bought earlier has the 1966 markings

 

5REj2FO.jpg

 

... and finally an F/A 18.F Super Hornet ... I need some RAAF markings for this one ... and some of that non-existent AM!!! ...

 

60XIIpl.jpg

 

Rog :)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, noice. The 262 is supposedly better in several ways, the most glaringly obvious being that it’s not shot full of holes like the Trumpy version.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really tough to keep up with you guys.

ROG, that 262 deal is outstanding.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Oooh, noice. The 262 is supposedly better in several ways, the most glaringly obvious being that it’s not shot full of holes like the Trumpy version.

I gotta be honest ... I never the Trumpy kit that way ... is there heavy detail? - sure! ... but with a coat of paint it looks like a nicely detailed, accurate and well fitting rendition in this scale ... I certainly thought it was well worth the bucks, time and effort anyway!! Most of the "poo-poo-ing" came from the traditional anti-Trumpeter-Hobby-Boss crew ... 

I haven't looked at the Revell kit yet ... It'll be interesting to see what they've done better with 10 years+ better technology available!!

Rog :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

That Hs-129 book is hardcover and 200 pages of very cool stories, pics, and drawings. 

The book is priced at a hundred dollars and I think it’s money well spent. 

I figured it’s worth it, especially with the new ZM kit on the way. 

I've been on the fence about getting the book but haven't seen anything about it yet. Might just have to get it after all.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Artful69 said:

be good to do a Space Battleship Yamato conversion!! :D

That would be cool! I've got the 1/500 and that's almost a metre long.  Bandai did a 1/350 version but later decided it was too short. 

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

It needs a huge amount of detailing to make it viable for today, but what’s there is decent enough.

Ernie, Fujimi makes some 1/200 Yamato bits. Maybe they're worth getting to upgrade the kit?

https://hlj.com/search/go?lbc=hobbylink&method=and&p=Q&ts=custom&uid=810128201&w=yamato&af=selectscale%3a1200scale

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've been on the fence about getting the book but haven't seen anything about it yet. Might just have to get it after all.

Do ... you won't regret it ... Revised and updated but otherwise basically the same book as the Classics Publications one ... Other works are in the pipeline including the Ar.234 and the He.219:

https://www.chandospublications.co.uk

6 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That would be cool! I've got the 1/500 and that's almost a metre long ...

did you mean this one? ... with the separate upgrade sets?

R4YRwPv.jpg

o0HLuBO.jpg

It comes out to about 600mm give or take ... if I'm not mistaken? ... the 350 would be a fair size bigger!!

Rog :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Artful69 said:
4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've been on the fence about getting the book but haven't seen anything about it yet. Might just have to get it after all.

Do ... you won't regret it .

Ok, I've ordered away. 

4 hours ago, Artful69 said:

did you mean this one? ... with the separate upgrade sets?

Yup, that's the one. I have the hanger upgrade as well as the PE antenna and railing set. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

And this ancient old dog. This is a stock pic. Mine’s still in my F-250 waiting for the coast to be clear.........

5BECF80F-E2A6-4FCB-943F-915F3C6E8E4B.jpeg

Great find Ernie. I understand there are some upgrade kits for this one. I am not even sure there is not a Pontos set :)

Hubert

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Great find Ernie. I understand there are some upgrade kits for this one. I am not even sure there is not a Pontos set :)

Hubert

 

No Pontos set, hubert, which surprised me alot. There's some 3D printed stuff out there and plenty of PE, Brass and resin, so we might have a shot at it. Artwox out of Russia makes a decent wood deck that's sold locally as well.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Artful69 said:

I gotta be honest ... I never the Trumpy kit that way ... is there heavy detail? - sure! ... but with a coat of paint it looks like a nicely detailed, accurate and well fitting rendition in this scale ... I certainly thought it was well worth the bucks, time and effort anyway!! Most of the "poo-poo-ing" came from the traditional anti-Trumpeter-Hobby-Boss crew ... 

I haven't looked at the Revell kit yet ... It'll be interesting to see what they've done better with 10 years+ better technology available!!

Rog :)

I agree with you on the Trumpeter thing, Rog.  I have the 262 of theirs, and I thought it is great.  But The 262 was generally puttied, so I'll eliminate the rivets with a heavy shot of Mr. Surfacer 500 wouldn't handle. Heck, my build quality is such that I usually do that anyways. ;)

I can honestly say with 100% surety that the ONLY Trumpy/Hobbyboss kit that I've ever been truly disappointed with is the B-24.  I was rubbing my hands with glee when it was announced, and the one single thing that I prayed they'd get right is the one thing they screwed up. The center section and wing IS the look of the B-24. 

So I sit and wait to see how Iain makes out, and if his fix is successful, I'll be all over it. If it doesn't work, I'll build one anyway.  it's safe to say that if the Lanc hadn't come along, I'd have built a B-24 already. So as of now, we wait for the AM to catch up with the kit.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...