1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

James H

• Administrators

1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B
Airfix
Catalogue # A19002
Available from Airfix for £99.99

A19002-HAWKER-TYPHOON-Mk.Ib_LID.jpg

If anything could be classed as a 'main event' at a model show, then the test shot sprues for the 1:24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon which were on show atScale Model World 2013, Telford, in November last year, certainly is the epitome of that statement. You would have had serious difficulty in getting anywhere near the plastic, such was the continual throng of modellers crowding out the Airfix stall. Some perseverance and the occasional rigid elbow eventually got our website team in to get the all-important photos.

This looked to be a model like no other. Yes, Airfix are the original stalwarts of 1:24 model aircraft, with their last release, the Mosquito, being released in late 2009. However, something was very different with this new kit. In fact, something that I'm pretty sure hasn't been seen on an injection-moulded kit before. That difference was the stressed metal surface that this model sported. Yes, something that we see on practically all metal skinned aircraft, now reproduced with amazing authenticity on a plastic model kit.

The Typhoon was a large and heavy fighter plane, and in 1:24, it really is no shrinking violet. It also has a very large box in order to accommodate the rakes of plastic within. I quite like the design of Airfix's packaging. It's got great artwork that harkens back to the time when this was a big selling point for us when we were young. It's extremely bold and almost shouts 'buy me' at you as soon as you see it, and the glossy gorgeousness also carries the four varied schemes on one edge. The back of the box not only carries those 4 scheme profiles again, but also superbly realistic digital renders, in heavy weathering. You also get a potted history of the Typhoon and a map of operational Typhoon bases in June/July 1944. There are also some impressive CAD renders of the model too.

A19002-HAWKER-TYPHOON-Mk.Ib_TRAY.jpg

Lifting that substantial lid does immediately blow away any idea about this being a sturdy looking box. It simply isn't. In fact, it's quite flimsy and twists easily. There are no separators in there either, as you get in some Trumpeter releases, so the sprues are free to bang around a little. Several parts had come adrift from my sprues, but were thankfully undamaged. Sprues aren't all individually packaged, with many sharing their tough polythene bags. These are sealed up using heat. I'm not a fan of sprues being bagged in multiples, but the packers have had the good sense in ensuring that those external surfaces are facing away from each other. I don't know if that's by accident or design, but it pleases me. Of course, the clear sprues are separate. Inside their bags, these are wrapped in foam, and within that, what looks like kitchen/toilet tissue paper.

As well as the two clear sprues, there are SIXTEEN others, all moulded in light grey styrene, and these are generally packed in bags containing two each. There was never any doubt that this was going to be a complex kit to look at, so we'll do our sprue-by-sprue and see what this kit offers the builder, who no doubt will want to see all those details that they either saw at Telford SMW2013, and those little touches which do so promise to set this kit above all others in its class. Many sprues in this release are quite narrow, but also long. That's a little quirky, and I suppose makes them a little easier to package into this behemoth of a box. It makes the photos a little awkward, so we'll have to compensate with many close-up shots.

SPRUE A

DSC02735.JPG

DSC02736.JPG

Airfix has apparently designed this model so that it more or less constructs in the same manner as did the real aircraft. I'm not going to approve or disprove that statement, but the construction sequences are quite unusual and may seem to back that up. We'll look at the sequence at the end of the sprues evaluation. That construction does start with the cockpit and wing spar joint assembly, and this sprue contains more than a few of those key, initial components. The most obvious parts here are the tubular sidewalls for the cockpit. These sure give a sense of scale to proceedings. Airfix have properly captured the impression of the various tubes being riveted, plated and bolted together. Definition of that detail is generally excellent, but like many parts on this sprue, there is a little flash here and there, and more annoyingly, there are a few seam lines that will need paring before you start. Another thing I notice on this model generally are the number of very visible ejector pin marks. The side frames do suffer from these, but they have been placed on the exterior side of them, so won't be seen when the model is assembled. I am reliably informed that the majority of these marks are designed not be seen when the model is built, despite the beautiful levels of detail existing around these anomalies.

DSC02737.JPG

DSC02738.JPG

DSC02739.JPG

Another example of this are the marks on the forward bulkhead/firewall. There are no marks to be seen on the engine bay side of this superbly detailed part (resplendent in wiring, connector points, raised rivets etc), but the reverse does have pin marks. The upper two will be hidden by the two-part fuel tank, and the lower will be in the shadows of the foot well. There are two short, sub wing spars on this sprue, and pin marks exist on one face of them. These are mated to the larger main spar, so I can say that Airfix do seem to have thought this out with the modeller in mind.

That oil tank assembly is a little odd, with it being literally sliced in half. Having said that, the seam will be easy to remove due to no other detail causing you a headache here. Other parts on this sprue include the oval bulkhead to the rear of the cockpit (with integral tubular braces and excellent connection point detail).

DSC02740.JPG

DSC02741.JPG

DSC02742.JPG

Other parts on this sprue are the footboards, rudder pedal bar, and various other cockpit parts; both major and minor. This kit also supplies a pilot, and the forward and back parts of his torso/legs are moulded here. The arms and head are separate. Airfix have designed their pilot so he properly interacts with the control column etc, and his feet do indeed reach the pedals! Seatbelts are spread between this sprue and sprue L, and look very reasonable. I would still opt for an HGW set though.

SPRUE B

DSC02743.JPG

DSC02744.JPG

I think the reason for long, narrow sprues is clearly defined here when we see the two key wing spars for the Typhoon. They are long! In fact, each measures approximately 330mm (over 13 inches), and these aren't even the full span of this model kit. There are clear connection points on here that tie in with the addition of the cockpit module, and even though I keep harkening to the detail levels, I really need to. Those spars are a combination of strut, plate, tube and rivet, and they look incredibly realistic. Under a coat of Alclad, and with an oil wash, they will no doubt look indiscernible from the real thing.

DSC02745.JPG

DSC02746.JPG

DSC02747.JPG

If you like to see a well-moulded and highly detailed instrument panel, then the one Airfix provide will not disappoint you. Despite being almost a 'triptych', this areas is moulded as a single piece, with nicely raised bevel detail, and switches/selectors etc. Those instrument faces are moulded as holes, so the glazed section can fit to this from the rear. There has been some criticism of the depth of those clear lenses, so if you wish to use the Airfix approach, you could actually grind them down a fraction and re-polish them. This is where I really do begin to question why they included a clear part at all. Individual decals are supplied for this kit, and unlike the Tamiya approach where they are printed face side down, these are standard in approach, meaning they sit ON TOP of the glass, and not below it. Unless I'm missing something, that part didn't need to be clear. I'd apply the decals to the instrument faces, once that rear plate has been installed. A drop of Micro Crystal Clear will then replicate the lens.

DSC02748.JPG

DSC02749.JPG

DSC02750.JPG

DSC02751.JPG

Perhaps at this juncture, it's a good time to mention the excellent Airscale set of instrument decals that are available, including Typhoon-specific cockpit placards. This set is designed specifically for this release.

This sprue is another myriad of internal cockpit parts, including sidewall panels and integral cabling, control consoles, quadrants, seat parts and numerous other tubular framing parts. Again, a little flash will need to be removed here and there, and some seam lines paring down too.

SPRUE C

DSC02752.JPG

Onto a nice, large sprue now. Apart from a set of neatly moulded, weighted wheels with a little simplified hub detail, this sprue more or less contains the parts for the massively powerful 24-cylinder Napier Sabre engine. If you so choose, you can build this with an optional miniature electric motor tucked away within (bought separately), and there are various options available to the modeller when it comes to displaying the engine itself. These are highlighted in the first pages of the manual. For me, I feel it sacrilege to not show the engine when complete. The kit allows you to model the engine with the electric motor completely hidden within, and not affecting the finished result, or you can opt to just cowl the area over and not show the engine at all.

DSC02753.JPG

DSC02754.JPG

DSC02755.JPG

DSC02756.JPG

As you'll imagine, the engine itself isn't a quick build in itself, and this highly detailed area of construction contains around 60 to 70 parts, but my very quick estimation. The Napier was quite unusual in appearance, and those ignition distribution conduits and their associated leads are neatly moulded too. A little flash again, and some seams will most definitely need to be removed too. There is some very neat slide-moulding trickery on the separate exhaust stubs too, with each one having a neatly hollow end, as well as weld seams.

DSC02757.JPG

DSC02758.JPG

DSC02759.JPG

DSC02760.JPG

DSC02761.JPG

As well as the engine and ancillary parts, you will find some very fragile-looking plumbing here too. . Needless to say, flash is present, and those infernal seams, but the latter aren't really too bad here. Just take your time when it comes to shaving them away. Dual packing of sprues didn't pay off here as one connector hose has broken away from the sprue.

SPRUE D

DSC02762.JPG

A real mish-mash of parts here. Undercarriage doors are provided as an external plate, with a separate interior section that has tabs that locate into the slots on the undercarriage legs. A very small sink mark can be seen on the exterior of one door, and that will need to be filled and sanded back.

DSC02763.JPG

DSC02764.JPG

DSC02765.JPG

Of course, one of the most characteristic parts of the Typhoon design was the enormous chin intake. This is broken down into several parts, as is the actual exterior cowl (on another sprue). There are also a couple of optional intake parts for the forward section of the intake. One is a simple framework that sits in front of the filter, and the other is a plate grille. There are actually two types of the latter on the sprue, but I can't see any use mentioned of the plainer part.

DSC02766.JPG

DSC02767.JPG

DSC02768.JPG

The rest of the sprue is taken up with yet more sections of plumbing, and also parts for the main undercarriage/tail wheel, including various actuators and tanks that reside in the main gear bays. Looking at the sprues and the instructions, I really would be hard-pressed to see what else you'd need to add, maybe apart from the odd section of lead wire. Remarkable.

SPRUE E

DSC02769.JPG

Only one part here, but it is, er, pretty important! For the first time, we see something containing that rather impressive stressed metal skin; the lower bottom wing panel. Depending on how you intend to display your model will then depend on which holes you need to open up from within this part. Stage 90 (yes, 90!!!) graphically shows which holes are intended for the various tanks and ordnance. If you fit the electric motor, then you will need to open up another hole. This is also true if you decide to mount on a stand. I can't understand why Airfix didn't include the stand as standard. It used to be in the other 1:24 releases.

DSC02770.JPG

DSC02771.JPG

For those of you that saw the test sprues at SMW2013, you were no doubt awestruck by that stressed metal rendition. Some of you will have seen photos on other forums etc., and I imagine you felt that same way. To have the parts here in hand, and experience it again has certainly not dulled those first impressions. This is a seriously nice piece of design work, impressively carried off at the tooling and moulding stage. The surface is resplendent in various bumps and bulges, subtly accommodated between various riveted lines. The whole effect is extremely authentic, and hopefully will set a bench mark, not just for Airfix, but also their competitors.

DSC02772.JPG

DSC02773.JPG

Other surface detail is no less nice. The rivets, which divots, are very small and just right to my eye. Panel lines are superbly neat and narrow, and not at all too deep, and numerous screwed and riveted plates are perfectly executed. Cartridge ejection chutes are also moulded 'open', and the Hispano cannon fairings are separate entities.

There is a little flash present again, around the internal opening of the gear bays, and also in the landing flap areas. Nothing at all to worry about, and I imagine you could remove it in less than a minute.

SPRUE F

DSC02774.JPG

DSC02775.JPG

This sprue mostly concerns itself with the wing interior detail, including the gun bay areas. Airfix has designed this model so that the lower wing panel (Sprue E) is attached to the completed cockpit and engine section. On top of this, you now add the various internal wing spars and ribs, forming the wheel bays and gun bays. Detail across these is astounding, with riveted plates, wiring, and even the leather grommet in the spar, through which the Hispano pass. You have a real sense that the designer was extremely passionate about his work here, because if a lot of this was missing, you'd still be impressed with the result. Other detail on the spars includes strut sections with domed rivets, and even a pouch/wallet item in the wheel bay area.

DSC02776.JPG

DSC02778.JPG

DSC02779.JPG

DSC02780.JPG

When the spars and ribs are added, a ground plate is then added to the gun bays, consisting of structural elements and mounts for the cannon. Those cannon are very impressive in their sheer size, but unusually, the muzzles aren't hollow moulded! I can't understand why at all, and certainly not in a release of this importance. You can of course drill them out yourself, or wait until Master Model release a set of replacement barrels with recoil springs. The latter are moulded in situ here and look as good as you can expect to get them. After all, they will mostly be enclosed with the fairings anyway.

DSC02781.JPG

DSC02782.JPG

DSC02783.JPG

DSC02784.JPG

Those cannon fairings are moulded as halves. That in itself doesn't sound like an issue, but Airfix have moulded the shape within so that it fits the recoil spring. That would normally means that you would have to attach them to the model and then remove the seams. On a big model, it can be awkward. I suggest opening the interior up a little and building them off the model. You can then slide them into position when the seams are history.

Other parts on this sprue include the ammunition boxes and separate belt feeds and rear spars which form the face onto which you will add the flaps etc.

SPRUE G

DSC02785.JPG

DSC02786.JPG

There are THREE spinner options available here, including those for both three and four blade propellers. Two back-plates are separately moulded to cater to these, with internal face detail. You'll be hard-pressed to see it when assembled though! Hubs for both types of prop are supplied as front and back parts too, but this is nothing unusual for a large-scale model.

DSC02787.JPG

DSC02788.JPG

DSC02789.JPG

A third of this sprue is taken over with various fuel tanks, including the wing leading edge tanks. All tanks are two part affairs, and seams will be easy to remove. Of course, filler cap detail is there the rib-capping strip that fits over the main wing tank. The real drying shame is that you won't see any of this detail except through the odd chink in detail within the gun and wheel bays. Still, you will know it's there, and that's what counts in my book.

DSC02790.JPG

DSC02791.JPG

The remainder of sprue parts are taken over with the bomb bodies, external fuel tanks and the rocket mounting rails. Bombs and tanks are moulded as halves, and you will need to take care when removing the seams on the tanks, due to raised detail that gets in the way of a clean joint.

SPRUE H

DSC02792.JPG

This model comes with two types of tail-plane. Firstly, the standard chord tail-plane is of course present, but also the later, wider chord type that is commonly referred to as the 'Tempest tail-plane'. Normally, this sort of inclusion would have been very difficult to implement in kit form due to the difference required for the fuselage slot. The difference here is that Airfix has designed the vertical fin and lower section to be separate parts. On this sprue, you will find the parts of the fin that will allow you to attach the original, short-chord tail-plane. I am reliably informed that the fin section fits effortlessly to the fuselage.

DSC02793.JPG

DSC02794.JPG

DSC02795.JPG

DSC02796.JPG

That lower wing section, as I mentioned, wasn't full span. Here we have the lower, outboard sections of the wings, which appear to attach along a panel line. These are tabbed to aid alignment, and of course, that delicious stressed skin is very evident. A wing spar which extends past the centre section of the wing also gives the tip addition some rigidity.

As the upper wing is pretty skeletal, Airfix have chosen to adopt a better system of representing the roof of the main gear bays instead of simply moulding it to the inside of the upper wing panels. This gives a far better representation for the modeller, allowing perhaps a little extra wire etc. to be added before the wing is closed up. There are wiring boxes and wiring itself on these parts, accompanying the wing structure detail.

DSC02797.JPG

DSC02798.JPG

DSC02799.JPG

As well as the multipart gun bay covers which also exhibit that stressed skin relief, a second set of main gear bay doors are provided, as single parts, allowing the modeller to pose his model 'wheels up' with no problem.

• Administrators

SPRUE I

DSC02800.JPG

DSC02801.JPG

More large pieces here as we find key control and flying surface parts. I had no idea that the ailerons and elevators of the Typhoon had raised riveting, but that's just what we have here. I've certainly no reason to doubt it after seeing the different riveting on the rest of the airframe. These parts are supplied as upper and lower halves, as are the short-chord, original Typhoon tail plane, also included here. I am so pleased that the fabric-covered rudder has been properly represented here. It could so easily have been either understated or overstated, as you see with many other kit releases. Well done, Airfix!

DSC02802.JPG

DSC02803.JPG

DSC02804.JPG

DSC02805.JPG

The remainder of useable parts here include the constructional elements for the gun bays, access step, leading edge lamp fairings, and also the landing flaps. I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the representation of the latter. The detail seems very simplified. If you can wait, I would use a set from Eduard, which will inevitably appear before too long. The kit parts also suffer from ejector pin marks between the small ribs.

Parts that aren't slated for use here are two sets of exhaust manifold shrouds.

SPRUES J & K

DSC02806.JPG

Here we find the upper, main wing panels, complete with the openings for the gun bays and location for separate ailerons. Detail is commensurate with that of the other external pieces we've seen, with gorgeous stressed metal finish, fine panel lines and rivet lines of varying pitches. The starboard side root has a small step indent, which can be posed, in either pressed or non-pressed position, but as this would probably have been spring-loaded, it would make more sense to just fair it over.

DSC02807.JPG

DSC02808.JPG

SPRUE L

DSC02809.JPG

We go back into the cockpit temporarily here, with a few parts here which are assigned to this already heavily detailed area. Aside from those, the alternative 'Tempest' style tail plane can be found here along with the vertical fin option that allows these to be fitted. The alternative elevators are found here too. I feel I also need to mention that the forward joint of this latter part actually lines up along the tail joint section as was on the real aircraft. One of my tail plane parts had broken free from the sprue; possibly because of the poor system of packing that is used, or my excess manhandling in the Indian moulding plant.

DSC02810.JPG

DSC02811.JPG

DSC02812.JPG

DSC02813.JPG

DSC02814.JPG

DSC02815.JPG

DSC02816.JPG

It's pretty obvious from some unused parts in this kit that there will be future versions of this released. One of those key areas is how Airfix has chosen to represent the fuselage area around the cockpit. This is created as separate port/starboard halves, which leaves the option of a future car-door version as a firm possibility. There are some pesky ejector pin marks that do need removing before you can use these.

Lastly, we have the actual rocket rails that plug into the holes you drilled into the wings.

SPRUE M

DSC02817.JPG

I imagine that for the modeller, this will be the first sprue they seek out. Yes, it's that mightily impressive fuselage sprue. My initial sample had a very bad short-shot which meant that part of the fuselage was actually missing. Thankfully, Airfix's Customer Service Dept. is absolutely first class, and despatched a new one to me as soon as I reported it. The same applies to the canopy that we'll come onto later.

DSC02818.JPG

DSC02819.JPG

DSC02820.JPG

Well, what can I say? The parts are simply superb. They really are one of the highlights of this release. Surface detail is very varied in its appearance, just like that of the real aircraft, as well as the rivet lines of varying pitch, and that amazing stressed skin. You will also notice overlapping metal skin plates, excellent fastener representation and also a very fine recreation of the tail stiffening plates. Again, you can pose the foothold on the fuselage in either an open or shut position. That really is a very nice touch. From the photos, you can see that the fuselage underside it moulded separately. We'll look at that very soon.

DSC02821.JPG

DSC02822.JPG

If you decide to display that amazing engine, you will need to remove the two strips that run over the top of the engine bay area. These are just used to support the cowl pieces, if you go the electric motor route. Within the fuse, there are a number of ejector pin marks. You'll have to check and see how and if these coincide with the viewable detail areas. A detailed interior wall is supplied for the tail wheel area, and the fuselage has a number of circumferential stiffening ribs in the rear section.

SPRUE N

DSC02823.JPG

Here you will see that fuselage underside part I just mentioned. Take care with this part as the wing root fairing extremities look very fragile. This sprue is very much to do with external surface parts, with the multipart engine and nose radiator cowl found here, as well as more gun bay panels with their superbly reproduced hinge detail. Engine panels are NOT detailed on the inside, which is a little disappointing. If you wish to pose these off-model, you'll either have to show them exterior side up, or thin them and add the detail within that Airfix missed.

DSC02824.JPG

DSC02825.JPG

DSC02826.JPG

DSC02827.JPG

DSC02828.JPG

DSC02829.JPG

DSC02830.JPG

SPRUE O

DSC02831.JPG

Airfix must've run out places to mould the remainder of the internal parts on the other sprues, as here, on the rocket sprue, we find the tubular framework for supporting the armoured back-plate in the cockpit. So apart from that, this sprue is pretty much taken up with eight rockets, split into halves. I'm not sure if these are the High Explosive type or the Armour Piercing type. Sorry, I can't help further there. These have been moulded with hollow tail pipes too.

DSC02832.JPG

DSC02833.JPG

SPRUE P

DSC02834.JPG

DSC02835.JPG

This last sprue is another elongated one, which is entirely tied over to external ordnance. Here you will find the other variety of rockets, and the correct rails on which to mount them, as well as the fins for the bombs we saw on an earlier sprue. A number of smaller bombs can also be found here too. Smaller parts include the bomb fusing propellers or solid tip option, as well as bomb sway racks and their external fairing.

DSC02836.JPG

DSC02837.JPG

DSC02838.JPG

DSC02839.JPG

DSC02840.JPG

DSC02841.JPG

SPRUE Q

DSC02842.JPG

This is otherwise known as 'Airfix's headache'. Yes, this is the canopy sprue that has proved to be a bone of contention since this kit was released. My sample has reasonable clarity, but with a bumpy surface on the hood, as well as the infamous dimple. The part had broken free from the sprue and a small crack was present in it. If that wasn't bad enough, the windscreen was optically poor due to a flow mark defect. Airfix did replace this for me, but the replacement wasn't much better. I think I'll wait for them to resolve this issue before I build the model. In the meantime, Alley Cat has released a very nice resin alternative. The paper towel that these parts are wrapped in isn't lint-free, and you'll need to wash these parts thoroughly to remove the fuzz. That is especially important if you like to dip the canopy parts in Klear.

DSC02843.JPG

DSC02844.JPG

SPRUE R

DSC02845.JPG

What is odd with this release is that you have an option for adding the leading edge lights. None of the finished models in the manual show them. I mean, did these specific aircraft have them fitted, or not? Were they perhaps painted over? If so, why not just paint over the clear parts instead of supplying grey parts? I can't answer any of these questions. Nevertheless, clear leading edge parts are supplied here, as well as the inner lamp itself. The navigation lights and identification lamp is also moulded here, as is the instrument panel rear plate and tubular bar which includes the compass.

DSC02846.JPG

DSC02847.JPG

DSC02848.JPG

PLASTIC SUMMARY
Generally very good. Yes, there is some flash, but it is minor. They are pin marks, and some will prove a little troublesome. Seams run from being negligible to needing more paring down. I had a sink mark on the undercarriage door, but that was extremely minor. Detail seems very sharp, and engineering is quite ingenious. The canopy is a big let down, but I'm sure that doesn't come as a surprise.

DECALS

DSC02849.JPG

There is ONE large sheet included with this release, covering FOUR schemes. Again, I had to request a replacement sheet from Airfix as mine was damaged at one side, cracking the decals. Cartograf is the printer, and their reputation generally precedes them. Printing is thin, and the colours are solid and authentic, but nothing being too vivid. Carrier film is also minimal and everything is in perfect register. Just about everything (apart from invasion stripes) is printed here, including the chequerboard design on one of the machines. This is supplied in parts for ease of application. The multipart method applies to the complex shark mouth on one scheme. I believe that the inner area could have possibly been red, so you will need to apply that yourself if you wish to go that route.

DSC02850.JPG

DSC02851.JPG

DSC02852.JPG

DSC02853.JPG

A full suite of stencils is also provided, as well as bands etc. for the ordnance. Wing walk ways are also provided as decals, but I would be inclined to spray these. Decals are provided for the weapons bays too. The four schemes available here are:

1. MN666, 'CG', flown by Wing Commander Charles Green, No.121 Wing, RAF Holmsley South, England, and B.5, Le Fresne-Camilly, Normandy, June 1944
  2. DN252, 'ZY-N', No.247 Sqn, 2nd Tactical Air Force, France/Belgium, June – September 1944
  3. MK197, 'MR-U', "Sharkmouth", No. 245 Sqn, 2nd Tactical Air Force, Germany and England, June – August 1945
  4. RB389, I8-P', No.440 Sqn (RCAF), 2nd Tactical Air Force, Netherlands/Germany, February – May 1945

INSTRUCTIONS

DSC02854.JPG

Some would say these are a work of art. Unfortunately, I require a manual to build, and not an art form. The 217 constructional steps are generally printed in grey scale, which can be difficult to follow if your eyes are slightly impaired. My eyesight, however, suffers no colour blindness etc, and I find he drawings overly complicated and 'muddy' to follow, with some images of wing spars etc having optical illusions which mean you could possibly be viewing them from either side. Quite confusing. I really do NOT like this style of instruction. It needs to be simplified. You can't look through them and search for a part very easily due to the busy appearance. This manual is printed on card, in an A4 format, covering 48 pages, but I have to say that it lets the kit down somewhat. Almost like 'hey, look what I can illustrate as CAD!'. Airfix asked me to be honest, and I like to think my reviews do reflect that approach. Sorry, for me, this manual does nothing. It's awkward and hard to work with. You will really need to study each assembly sequence as you go. If the part arrows were heavier and a different colour, things might be a tad easier to follow. Some red ink is used to highlight parts, but this is haphazard and rarely useful.

DSC02855.JPG

DSC02856.JPG

Possible optical illusions abound!

DSC02858.JPG

DSC02858.JPG

DSC02859.JPG

As a very nice touch though, the last pages are taken up with a double spread for each of the four schemes. One page shows the drawn scheme with decal placement, and the other page has images of a model finished in that scheme. The start of the manual does show the engine display options. Chose your option at the very outset.

Conclusion
Of course, stressed metal skin effects are only one element of this model. The sheer level of detail here seemed to have not only raised the bar significantly, but also put Airfix back into a newly realised and significant position as a premier injection moulded model manufacturer. Of course, one model release is rarely a game-changer in this industry, but is an extremely promising step onto a whole new standards platform. As for the kit, well, apart from the manual and the defective canopy, I have to say that overall, it really is a triumph, and most certainly one that's been worth waiting for. I would have to say to Airfix that they need to change their manual style and also sort out their QA when it comes to what's put in the box.

If large scale is your thing, then I really do recommend you try your hand with this kit. The parts count is crazy and it will look brutal when sat on your shelf. In this part of the world, this kit retails for around the same price as the Tamiya über-kits, and is every bit as good. In some respects, when you look at the detail and that sexy, stressed skin, it's even better!

Very highly recommended

My sincere thanks to Airfix/Hornby for this review sample. To buy this model directly, hit their web-store via THIS link.

James H

AIRFIX_LOGO1.jpg

• Like 1

Let me be the first to say congrats and thank you for such an insightful review.\

As you said, " The sheer level of detail here seemed to have not only raised the bar significantly, but also put Airfix back into a newly realised and significant position as a premier injection moulded model manufacturer" and I agree!

It's a wonderfully done kit and one I should consider building in the future.

Thanks again Jim!

Great review James,

And beautiful and very sharp pictures too, they really do this kit justice. From experience i must say that you are right what the manual is concerned, you really have to study it and look twice before you start assembling. You also have a point with the leading edge lights, none of the aircraft versions seem to have them? i only know that when the Typhoons were being equipped with rockets, they removed the leading edge ligths because they were afraid that they could catch fire from the exhaust flames of the rockets.

So i guess that Airfix thought that they should give you two options, with or without leading edge lights.

very impressive review,

Greetings,

Frank

• Like 1

I still have it. Hard kit to unload!

I wonder...which major manufacturer will be the first to roll out the stressed skin effect in 1/32? I'd say Tamiya with whatever follows the Corsair, but they're moving glacially, and I could easily see Meng or Z-M or someone sneaking in with it first.

You got that right. The −1A was suppose to be out last May/June. Now their talking November for reasons unknown.

what a whopper of a review Jim!

ok work with me here guys....

i like the kit - I really do like it, and generally i think 1/24 is just too challenging to make stuff realistic, but i still bought one

anyway, if Trumpeter had done this, do you think people would be saying good attempt at the stressed skin stuff, but we still have the ridiculous rivetting / divotting??

i guess the key thing is the scale up to 1/24...i am just trying to imagine one of Tamiya's 1/32 kits in 1/24 and then see how they would compare if you know what i mean?

I am happy with the kit, and at anything less than say £90 (i paid £74 I think, and should have mortgaged the house to buy as many as i could at that price), i think it is tremendous value

but in terms of mould quality and sharpness of detail, i think Airfix are not sitting at the same table as Tamiya

they are getting there though

I am also hearing Airfix are listing this as sold out, so I would snaffle one soon if you have any interest

otherwise you'll be paying nearly double in a year or two's time, just like the Mosquito craziness that you see now 

• Like 2

It seems that Trumpeter has an "A" team and a "C" team. When they release something nice, it's nice. When it's not.....it's bad. They got off to a bad start with their large scale jets with the exaggeration of the rivet detail and the world has not forgotten about it. They also couldn't seem to get the nose shapes right, i.e. F-100 and A-7, even though there are a bazillion, that's a lot, reference photo's and static survivors everywhere. Their saving grace was that they were releasing kits of items that builders wanted but no one was listening. And the after market companies have been busy ever since.

Remember Tamiya in the seventies? The Lancaster, Always described as an überkit turns out to be not so good but these days they still churn it out at today's prices.

Trumpeter and Airfrix might well set the pace in the near future. Then again, some manufactures always get slaughtered by the not so happy few. What's the use.

Cees

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree about the instructions.

They are quite bizarre in concept.. they use CAD imagery but it confuses the issue in many places (a bit like the hated Dragon 'photographic' instructions). What really got me was that while many of us move to bigger scales due to fading eyesight, these instructions for a 1/24 kit are the smallest I've ever seen... I would like to see Airfix put them up on their site as a PDF file so it can be studied at larger resolution on screen and/or printed out..

I've got the Airscale decals (lovely) and Radu's PE radiator meshes (utterly gorgeous).. can't see much else that would enhance this kit (though you never do until someone releases it :) ).

Hopefully we'll see some of these finished for Telford (not that I can talk)..

Matt