The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Model Expo 1/24 USN Picket Boat 1

crazypoet

Ropes complete and drying in place.  I need to add a touch of weight and a bit more solution (diluted gorilla glue, water and Secret Weapon sewer-water wash) to get the detonator line to hang properly, but i have to wait for the coil to dry first.

i’ll be loading coal (O-scale coarse model railroad ballast) into some of the scuttles next, while I wrap up the ammo cases.

image.jpg

Ammo case and some 3D printed buckets ready for priming and painting...

image.jpg

Edited by crazypoet
Added more stuff
  • Like 5

Distressing discovery!  It seems that oil-based polyurethane does not adhere to the film used by my dry-transfer decal maker.

The  (dry) first coat started to peel right up under just the weight of the brush as I added the second coat.  And of course it’s a *large* section of the base

dammit

If I can’t get it all to come off clean, I may be doing a *very* short-notice redo of the base...  

gotta love those “huh! Never seen it do **THAT** before” moments! :wtf:

• Like 3

Disaster avoided - some careful trimming, sanding, and switching to a different poly seems to have done the trick.  A few slight ripples where things really went pear-shaped in the first round will be mostly covered by the boat stands, nameplate and suchlike...

i can breathe again, and finish the last details.

i noticed yesterday that the rigging lines to the stack had gotten a bit slack in the two years since I first installed them, so have have to re-do them.  I’m taking the opportunity to improve the look of the tie-downs while i’m at it - I never liked the kit approach, and this gives me a chance to scratch that particular itch.

The rigging pic below is the “before” look.  Assuming I don’t break anything else in the interim, i’ll post the “after” shot later today...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Finish coat of poly drying on the base and a good start towards the replacement rigging for the mast

the kit approach was just an eyelet stuck in the gunwale.  I went along with that because I was focused on other areas.  The longer I thought about it, the less I liked it (and I was equally unhappy with the knots I used).

so.  New approach - iron plates and rings, with sleeved cables.  I don’t know if it’s any more or less accurate - no records exist - but it should look better and i’m a lot happier with the idea.

plates filled, primed, drilled and ready for a coat of liquid graphite, and the first new cable, also ready for graphite.  

FB804ADD-0474-4D5D-A7F7-75DAFCC4890B.jpeg

• Like 3

Calling this done...!

At least for the moment :)

I have a couple of buckets that still need a finish coat and handles, and two cases of carbine cartridges the need stencils...

But those won’t be done before I hit the road for Chattanooga in the morning, so this will have to do.

Overall i’m happy - I like the new rigging on the stack much better, and the base came together nicely.

i still need to take some decent photos - so it has to survive the trip to the show.  These will suffice for the moment though

4765E125-8B31-471E-B5B4-7E362A0664DC.jpeg

92C0B442-FD96-440C-822A-42F34A2E12C5.jpeg

FFC72C15-79EB-49EF-B111-D125FD627318.jpeg

03D27CF8-1220-4EB6-AFAA-3896F1649D31.jpeg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

I took a deep breath and entered it - boats, transition steam...

will be on the table in about 15 mins...

i know most of the flaws - be gentle with me! :wacko:

Good luck ! I'm sure you will do well buddy ! She looks awesome.....harv :thumbsup2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, gordelbar said:

I'm building this kit (at a much lower level than crazypoet).  I had planned to go to IPMS until I read it was a Plastic model show and decided to skip it.  After the fact I find out he was there!  Dammit!!!

Sorry to have missed you there - some amazing work in all sorts of media was represented in the contest and display areas.

i’d love to see your build!  Post some pics - there’s always something to learn from someone else’s approach and it’s fun just to be able to compare notes, triumphs and tragedies!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This model, to me, was the standout of the show. I had a chance to just sit and look at it for a half hour straight, just taking in every single detail that's been built into this model. 

All I can say is that, in my opinion, it was the far and away standout of the entire show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There was standout work across the board!  

I was in the presence of giants, and I was both surprised and delighted that my wooden boat was recognized at a plastic model show.  

I understand that the next IPMS Journal will have pics of all the winners - i’ll post the other winners as soon as it shows up

and for the record, Ernie’s Lanc conversion would have been a shoe-in for Best In Show has he entered it - it’s *that* good